Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Coast to coast road trip with a 5x8 enclosed trailer, follow along for laughs

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    yeah, a manifold, and i'll need to cut the upper rad hose for that, not worth it for now.
    honestly i might not even bother with an on/off switch while parked for now.
    Nope. The lower hose. Just like the factory does.

And you basically have to put the switch in for the time being, unless you're going to play sparky mcsparkler, and hot plug and unplug a jumper each and every time you shut the car down.

Might as well just splice a switch in the jumper wire, it's like 3minutes more labor and gonna make your life way better for the duration of this hack. Having the switch there will make the ghetto job of popping the hood every time you need to get on the road a lot easier vs fiddling w jumpers sometimes in the dark and possibly in the rain. Just get a couple crimp spades connectors to fit your relay connectors, some electrical tape, and a quality switch, can probably find a place to just zip tie it in place for now.

Be sure to put a nice fuse in line right up close near where you tap the power though. Don't want to burn the car down after all this effort.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    oh, for some reason i was thinking that 12v wasn't live unless the key was past position 2, and once i shut the car down it'd shut down too, whoops.
    in that case i might do a signal wire tap into something which is hot past pos 2, since i got the 195FH harness which is relay based anyway.
    actually.....with the aux fan unplugged those connections are nice and available..hmmmmMMMmm

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=542497

going by this it's just a matter of using the blue wire specifically
    Last edited by joekitch; 06-11-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Put down the "wiring color codes for other chassis and engines" and slowly step away son.

according to this:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ic-fan/wuCN5aU

You would think you want the BLACK (SW = Schwartz) wire for the power at the aux fan. The aux fan is PWM ground switched via the BLUE wire, which would be great if you could use both black and blue to turn your relay on, but your plainjane telegraph era technology relay won't live long trying to PWM switch! and, the black wire is powered by a "terminal 30" fuse which is permanent power, not switched, so , that's no good as your emergency override supply.

With some work, you might be able to get inside the aux fan and tap it's driver circuit, and basically drive the new aux fan w same sweet DME integrated circuit as the aux fan , but, that seems like it's prob out of your comfort zone and more work than you want to do roadside mid trip.

So you're back to needing power from "something" under the hood for your manual relay switch. You know what I'd try? Fog lights. Then you can use the fog lights as the manual fan switch from the cockpit. Of course you'll be drivin w your lights on all the time but hell just pretend you're a fan of DRLs.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    i had thought of headlights, but forgot that the fogs can be turned on whenever as long as the lights are in auto mode even during the day, not to mention it's an easy top of the bay tap.
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Why don't you just get 12 volts from the top post on bank 2 valve cover?

My Cars
    E39 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Why don't you just get 12 volts from the top post on bank 2 valve cover?
    I think he's looking for something easily switched without having to run wires into the cabin

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    indeed, skip the need for a manual switch, i still have some of those posi-tap connectors which i used for the trailer harness wiring, and i think i love them now.

GN92489

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    They suck. But you're not a man of fine distinctions, so they seem about right, and I'm sure they'll work to do the job for the duration.

Keep in mind the fogs WILL go off when you hit the highbeams, but that should be manageable. Remember the fan is doing nothing over 30-40... How often are highbeams required below 40? At least in a stopgap / finish the trip situation like this....
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by StRaNgEdAyS View Post
    I think he's looking for something easily switched without having to run wires into the cabin

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Im talking about the main 12v power to the fan. The relay can be controlled by a switch or connected to a light like GG suggested.

Those crimp connectors are OK for low power stuff, I wouldn't use them on the 20 amp fan wires.
    Last edited by JimLev; 06-12-2018 at 10:18 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    OH ABSOLUTELY - I wasn't meaning to say they'd be OK for the main power, just for his 'turn on' workaround. (they still suck tho).

For that he needs BIG ASS proper connections with no hinky stuff. That should be done only with a really quality big butt splice and well taped up, or, soldering and heat shrink etc.

For the "always on" power he SHOULD be able to use the Black Wire for the factory Aux fan. That would be a tidy way to keep wires tidy and away from the engine, leverage the factory fusing, no extra ugly wires, etc. I'd probably try to do that...

But for a temp solution, given the current 'situation', and the understandable desire to get back on the damn road, the jumpstart terminal would be OK if that seems faster.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    considering the crimps came with the spal kit they'll suffice for now
    but man that fan just sucks heat like a vacuum, i cant get the temps above 97 on this triple digit day in Mesa, although that's without the trailer

GN92489

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Nothing wrong with it at 97C, actually that very good.
    Just wait until you get the Aux fan replaced, you'll be cranking that AC down to 60 F with no worries.
    It's 101 here today, but only 12% humidity, still hot.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Nothing wrong with it at 97C, actually that very good.
    Just wait until you get the Aux fan replaced, you'll be cranking that AC down to 60 F with no worries.
    It's 101 here today, but only 12% humidity, still hot.
    doesn't the aux fan become kind of superfluous with this monster fan in there? do they end up sort of impeding eachother's airflow?

GN92489

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    The aux fan pushes air thru the condenser and radiator, your new fan pulls the air thru from the back side, they help each other out.

My Cars
    05 330i
    Just got caught up on your instagram, taking HWY17 from watsonville in to the bay?
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    pacific coast 1, actually, going through daly city for the last bit. it adds a half hour to the total travel time but i'll gladly take that for the view

GN92489

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    So, Joe, are you back on the road yet? What's your "20"?

(It's so nice to take a virtual road trip during my work hours!)
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Hit his instagram - I posted the link up on page 3 or so because Joe of course couldn't be bothered to. :P

He posts there several times a day...

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/joek1tch/

LOL dude, your trailer is basically half empty! You ain't hardly haulin nothin! I wouldn't be too worried about cooling, although you still have OE radiator right? That bears keeping an eyeball on regardless...

Did you ever say what you were doing w/ the Miata? Coming back for it later? Dumping it?
    (have asked the Miata question like 4 times now... no answer...)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Hit his instagram - I posted the link up on page 3 or so because Joe of course couldn't be bothered to. :P

He posts there several times a day...

(have asked the Miata question like 4 times now... no answer...)
    A-ha! Thanks GG
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    the answer to the miata question is it's stored in a car storage warehouse back in MA and i will be shipping it to SF once i have more permanent residence, i'm in (very nice) corporate housing for 30 days which gives me time to apartment shop.

i only check this thread like once a day, usually less, i've been kinda busy if you haven't noticed.

once things settle down i'll do a post-trip debrief with performance and gas mileage etc

GN92489

My Cars
    320i M-Sport 2003 E46
    Well, well, well; How did the trip unfold?

You guys could have reminded our friend to mount a dash-cam for the trip.

That was a really great undertaking!!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    {sigh}

Check his instagram as explained exactly above. He posted a zillion great pix of the trip. I didn't follow all the details and posts, only popped in every few days, but there are a million pix and narrative of his trip, he actually did pretty good exhaustive job of telling his trip story.

Good victory for the ol' E39T tho'! No major issues really, since you can't count the bunny-blast as a mech failure.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    Actually all the Instagram images are phone pictures. I took a great deal more pictures using my dash cam which has a picture taking feature as well as a feature to manually record several minutes. The bunny strike video was from that.

GN92489

My Cars
    2000 540i Touring
    Glad to hear you made it!

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    Quote Originally Posted by joekitch View Post
    Actually all the Instagram images are phone pictures. I took a great deal more pictures using my dash cam which has a picture taking feature as well as a feature to manually record several minutes. The bunny strike video was from that.
    Bunny actually turned into the car after appearing to be heading off the road :-(

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast