Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Jerry's car project

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    Jerry, check this page from RealOEM...
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2282

And iirc, there are letters stamped into the mounts for front and back, but it's not 'f' and 'b'.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    When I did the VC gaskets in the green iL I took this picture specifically so I could get those brackets back in place properly and have it all line up. Hope it helps.

2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    I have never removed those brackets... any reason why I should have?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by oldroller View Post
    Jerry, check this page from RealOEM...
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2282

And iirc, there are letters stamped into the mounts for front and back, but it's not 'f' and 'b'.
    Thanks Old Roller. You're the best. A great help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    I have never removed those brackets... any reason why I should have?
    Probably no reason why either of us should have removed those brackets; only one of us was smart enough not to remove them. LOL

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Scholder View Post
    Probably no reason why either of us should have removed those brackets; only one of us was smart enough not to remove them. LOL
    Lol, I have made countless stupid mistakes when doing TCGs, this forum was tremendous help.
    Why would you even bother with the cover at this point? Have you fired up the engine already? Dont leave us here hanging!

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I removed them when I did the VC gaskets. No big deal. Take a pic and refer to it on reassembly. Maybe I could have left them in place? Dunno. If they are removed now the pic should help.If not, carry on.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Cooling fan clutch Pics

So, going back to an earlier issue: The clutch nut on the first picture is from the 2001 740i I have been working on, (can't see it). The second picture is from a 2001 740i that I purchased about a year ago with what appears to be the proper way this clutch nut should be attached and easy to access. Anyone have any guesses as to what I might have done wrong, or if it's possible that the first picture with limited access could just be the way it is? I'm going with: I definitely screwed it up somehow, but can't figure out how. I just threaded the fan on by hand and kept turning counter clockwise until I had to use the fan blades to finish tightening it, (couldn't reach my hand or a tool into the remaining space.bmw cooling fan.jpgbmw new clutch.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    I removed them when I did the VC gaskets. No big deal. Take a pic and refer to it on reassembly. Maybe I could have left them in place? Dunno. If they are removed now the pic should help.If not, carry on.
    Pictures were great and what I should have done in the first place. Thanks.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    So, going back to an earlier issue: The clutch nut on the first picture is from the 2001 740i I have been working on, (can't see it). The second picture is from a 2001 740i that I purchased about a year ago with what appears to be the proper way this clutch nut should be attached and easy to access. Anyone have any guesses as to what I might have done wrong, or if it's possible that the first picture with limited access could just be the way it is? I'm going with: I definitely screwed it up somehow, but can't figure out how. I just threaded the fan on by hand and kept turning counter clockwise until I had to use the fan blades to finish tightening it, (couldn't reach my hand or a tool into the remaining space.bmw cooling fan.jpgbmw new clutch.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures were great and what I should have done in the first place. Thanks.
    The second picture looks okay to me. Do you have the special tool for the fan? Hard to do it without it, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Your first one looks off. Is your pulley on backwards? Surprised the belt isn’t hitting anything if it is.

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    Have to agree with AB here... looks like the pulley is on backwards. that's the only thing I can think of that
    will have the viscous fan nut disappear! The belt will likely be off of alignment also.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    I think I'm lost here, need a photo with a better perspective.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    I think I'm lost here, need a photo with a better perspective.
    I went ahead and labeled the pics as I think they are situated.
    The pulley looks flipped as it is covering the clutch nut.

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Pulley Position?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
    Your first one looks off. Is your pulley on backwards? Surprised the belt isn’t hitting anything if it is.

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

This is an idea worth checking on; I'm not sure if the pulley is on backwards, but I knew something isn't right. I'm having trouble getting the fan to come back off without being able to get the tool in there. The belt isn't hitting anything "yet" because it hasn't been moved, "yet". The belt position did look funky when done. As usual pictures to follow. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jerry Scholder; 10-11-2018 at 05:29 PM.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    This is an idea worth checking on; I'm not sure if the pulley is on backwards, but I knew something isn't right. I'm having trouble getting the fan to come back off without being able to get the tool in there. The belt isn't hitting anything "yet" because it hasn't been moved, "yet". The belt position did look funky when done. As usual pictures to follow. Thanks.
    Jerry, do you have the tool for the fan? You wont be able to put it on properly without it. Even with the tool it's kind of tricky, not too bad though.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

How not to install a Pulley

Jerry, do you have the tool for the fan? You wont be able to put it on properly without it. Even with the tool it's kind of tricky, not too bad though.
    I had the tool; it did not fit into the cramped space I created for myself. Once I correct the probable pulley issue, I can use the tool. In the meantime, I am in search of an idea of what to use that is very thin that I can just get on, to allow the loosely fitting nut to turn clockwise and start the removal process. I have so little area to fit into. Stupid mistakes always seem to call for creative solutions to solve. Another lesson learned.

- - - Updated - - -

Have to agree with AB here... looks like the pulley is on backwards. that's the only thing I can think of that
    will have the viscous fan nut disappear! The belt will likely be off of alignment also.
    You are absolutely correct, as usual. The fan belt didn't look right, but I couldn't know for sure why? One more question answered. Now to get the fan to turn clockwise and loosen up without a tool that I can fit into the limited space I created for myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    You might be able to use the viscous fan function to your advantage.
    Using a heat gun, CAREFULLY and slowly heat the center body while turning the fan clockwise with your other hand.
    When the thermo expansive mechanism begins to engage, it should turn the large nut off. If you have a laser thermometer,
    you can gauge the lock in temperature, probably in the 210-215F range.

Once it begins to move off, make a few turns and let it cool before removing.

Note: I have never tried this maneuver, but in your circumstance I believe it's worth a shot, given the lack of space to do anything else.
    Good luck!

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Bit off topic: nice valve cover paint!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

This Mistake Is Crazy

You might be able to use the viscous fan function to your advantage.
    Using a heat gun, CAREFULLY and slowly heat the center body while turning the fan clockwise with your other hand.
    When the thermo expansive mechanism begins to engage, it should turn the large nut off. If you have a laser thermometer,
    you can gauge the lock in temperature, probably in the 210-215F range.

Once it begins to move off, make a few turns and let it cool before removing.

Note: I have never tried this maneuver, but in your circumstance I believe it's worth a shot, given the lack of space to do anything else.
    Good luck!
    Went to the "project car" this a.m and was optimistic. Persistence pays off. I first used a long thin screw driver to reach the nut on the cooling fan. I used a mallet and hit the side of the nut to loosen. I then turned the fan clockwise, giving it a hard turn to start. It worked and the fan came off. The pulley was backwards; thanks Old Roller, Angry Bear and all for the diagnosis. The special tool will not do what it is supposed to do.

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    Good work, that's a mistake you'll not make again.
    There is a ton of hard lessons with these cars, a steep learning curve but oh so satisfying!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Good work, that's a mistake you'll not make again.
    There is a ton of hard lessons with these cars, a steep learning curve but oh so satisfying!
    You are so right Old Roller. Most people would have given up by now, but with help from the forum I've been able to keep going forward. The surf fishing at Cocoa Beach Florida has been great lately so I've taken a break. I did get a used tire mud shield for front drivers side installed. The other one was brittle and pieces kept breaking off. I also picked up a new radiator fan shroud; same problem, plastic kept breaking off old one. I've come to the conclusion I'll have to drill out the bolt on the passenger side transmission mount and have ordered a good drill bit for the job. The nut on the top is stripped and the access is so tight, I just can't get in there to get it off. I haven't put the fluids in yet, (oil, coolant, power steering fluid) but soon. Everyone at my Condo complex wants to be there when I start it up again.....most just want to see me fail after putting so much time into it. I remain confident. Will of course let you know when I do.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    You are so right Old Roller. Most people would have given up by now, but with help from the forum I've been able to keep going forward. The surf fishing at Cocoa Beach Florida has been great lately so I've taken a break. I did get a used tire mud shield for front drivers side installed. The other one was brittle and pieces kept breaking off. I also picked up a new radiator fan shroud; same problem, plastic kept breaking off old one. I've come to the conclusion I'll have to drill out the bolt on the passenger side transmission mount and have ordered a good drill bit for the job. The nut on the top is stripped and the access is so tight, I just can't get in there to get it off. I haven't put the fluids in yet, (oil, coolant, power steering fluid) but soon. Everyone at my Condo complex wants to be there when I start it up again.....most just want to see me fail after putting so much time into it. I remain confident. Will of course let you know when I do.
    Keep up the good work! It took me 9(!) attempts to get it together error free, I've made all the possible mistakes and this forum was tremendous help. It's a difficult job for the first time. Good luck, keep us posted!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Bit off topic: nice valve cover paint!
    Bit off topic George?? I'm really hurt....LOL It is Jerry's car project so anything goes.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Bit off topic George?? I'm really hurt....LOL It is Jerry's car project so anything goes.

I always wanted to get the valve cover painted, but now the engine has finally no timing errors I dont dare to touch it. I have no explanation why the timing error just disappeared at some point
    When will you start up your rebuilt engine?? Do you have now two E38s?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Vacuum Pipe connection found

I always wanted to get the valve cover painted, but now the engine has finally no timing errors I dont dare to touch it. I have no explanation why the timing error just disappeared at some point
    When will you start up your rebuilt engine?? Do you have now two E38s?
    Yes, George, I have two E38's; same year, same model but the "newer" (restored) version is oriental blue with many "M" Sport Pkg upgrades, including the engine horsepower, Grom Audio BT3, Infinity BassLink Subwoofer, MSport Steering Wheel, Front struts and rear shocks replaced with Eibach/Bilstein B12 ProKit, Factory Bluetooth (TCU), Factory MKIV Navigation, MSport Steering Wheel rewrapped with Alcantara and 177,000 miles. By the way, it came in handy when trying to locate where the vacuum pipe/hose part 13321437692 was installed from the firewall to the MAF lower connection. The "M" 740i helped me locate the proper connection.

Also, I think I have you beat on how long it took me to replace and install the transmission mounts. Finally completed by drilling a hole in the passenger side disk underneath and using a crow bar to bend it loose enough to slide off. So, no more excuses....time to get this thing started and find out what quality work I did or didn't accomplish. Fluids to be replaced and fuse disconnect to fuel pump before starting to lubricate engine parts. After starting and it hopefully running alright, I want to replace the cooler heater exchanger hoses to the transmission.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i

Here we go again with PS Hose on PS Pump

So I put the PS fluid in and found two leaks at the connection points; mostly because of faulty washer installation. Fixed one. The second one is the infamous 19 mm connection on the PS pump running along the valve cover on the drivers side. The problem is "seating" the bolt into the hole. The damn connector will not lay flat, ( not to mention keeping the bottom washer from coming off while trying to do so) and with the limited amount of space, I can't get my hand in there and force it to lay flat. The hose itself is not very flexible and you need to really muscle it to get the connection bolt to fit flat to the hole. I have been able to fit the 19mm socket on the nut, but it won't matter if I can't seat the bolt. Looking for "tricks" to help resolve this ridiculous situation. Thanks.

2001 740i project car. Power Steering Box.jpg

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast