Thread: positive battery cable

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e

positive battery cable

Back story: I went to go change my battery terminals, cut off both neg and pos battery cables from current terminals. then put it on a new terminal and went to put everything back together. Now the pos cable wont reach the battery lol.

I was going to extend the cable with a butt connector but somebody told me that it may be smarter to replace the whole positive cable and now that’s what i want to do . i need help figuring out how to get it off

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    that cable goes all the way to the front so it will be a lot cheaper to do a butt connector, or something like that.

if you can buy the complete cable from another 325 e30, you will be ok though. it runs down under the carpet and comes out but the battery tray in the engine bay, if I remember right though, so its a lot of stuff to put a replacement cable in
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    that cable goes all the way to the front so it will be a lot cheaper to do a butt connector, or something like that.

if you can buy the complete cable from another 325 e30, you will be ok though. it runs down under the carpet and comes out but the battery tray in the engine bay, if I remember right though, so its a lot of stuff to put a replacement cable in
    Just a thought..... the butt connector could cause a fire because you aren't suppose to splice heavy gauge wire like that. Are you? I mean I know it would be a pain to run it from back to front but it may be worth it to do it right. Again just a thought, if I'm wrong then I apologize.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieG296 View Post
    Just a thought..... the butt connector could cause a fire because you aren't suppose to splice heavy gauge wire like that. Are you? I mean I know it would be a pain to run it from back to front but it may be worth it to do it right. Again just a thought, if I'm wrong then I apologize.

m
    i heard the same thing. which is why i’m leaning a little more toward changing the entire cable.however he’s right about it being a lot of work, i followed the cable through the back seat and i got to take off a lot of stuff to get to where the cable leads

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    No doubt, I know when I was doing my rear diff and subframe bushings, I seen the cable running up toward the front under the back seat. It will be a pain for sure.with all of the stuff in mine, I'm waiting to have to do that.
    I was reading jimlevies post about e30s and he was talking about having to replace a wiring harness. It won't be long with all the crusty plugs for me I'm sure lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by synamin View Post
    m
    i heard the same thing. which is why i’m leaning a little more toward changing the entire cable.however he’s right about it being a lot of work, i followed the cable through the back seat and i got to take off a lot of stuff to get to where the cable leads

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieG296 View Post
    No doubt, I know when I was doing my rear diff and subframe bushings, I seen the cable running up toward the front under the back seat. It will be a pain for sure.with all of the stuff in mine, I'm waiting to have to do that.
    I was reading jimlevies post about e30s and he was talking about having to replace a wiring harness. It won't be long with all the crusty plugs for me I'm sure lol.

does the positive cable connect to the wiring harness? i’m not too sure how all that wiring stuff works lol i’m learning as i go

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    I don't believe so, no. I believe it is just a solid red battery cable. It does not tie in to the harness in thst way.
    Sorry not trying to confuse you. These cars are older at this point and all my plugs are beginning to break apart as I unplug them to make other repairs. The more that break, the more parts o have to source to repair. I wish I could just buy the plugs I need and a tool to remove the pins and replace the plugs.

Jamie

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    it runs down under the carpet and comes out but the battery tray in the engine bay
    I've done this and luckily my interior was out at the time. The real patience test was getting the cable through the firewall grommet. But you don't want to mess with the main power lead, do it right and replace the cable.
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    I know when I have previously pulled those, I had already removed the interior so it wasn't horribly bad
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp

positive battery cable

I would consider adding a circuit breaker which will serve as a junction, give you a convenient cut off switch and provide some additional measure of safety.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by somecarguy; 06-01-2018 at 08:58 PM.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    There are actually 2 wires that run from the battery (+) post in the trunk. The main heavy gauge lead and the secondary lead with the fusible link. These both run to a junction block on the firewall and each have their own binding post on the block. The primary heavy post then has a lead that goes to the starter and another to the fuse box. This is where most of your car is powered from. The secondary post is where all your engine electronics are powered from.

As an aside, any aftermarket electronics that need constant power should be tied in to the primary post with their won fuse as near to the post as possible. Don't tie in aftermarket electronics on the engine electronics post.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Quote Originally Posted by somecarguy View Post
    I would consider adding a circuit breaker which will serve as a junction, give you a convenient cut off switch and provide some additional measure of safety.
    I doubt you'll find a breaker big enough to handle the starter load. Something like that might be sufficient for the line supplying the fuse box but is largely unnecessary.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp
    The breakers are designed for inductive motors and have a curve on which they trip. Meaning they do not trip with the brief starters load. I have one installed in my Alfa and it works fine, I doubt the starter on the low compression BMW draws that much more but you could upsize it if you wanted to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98' Z3M, 02' 911 C4S
    I have mine fully apart if you need a pic of where the wire runs. I'd suggest installing a master cut off switch in the trunk and then using a small length to connect from the switch to the battery - it'll be a lot less hassle and if you're ever worried about theft, its an easy way to completely disable the car while not around. It'll cause you to lose all your memory info in the car - clock, radio, etc., but depending on frequency might be worthwhile. I just finished gutting the interior to install my kill switch and track interior parts so the main cable is pretty easy to see where it runs to/fro.

My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    The breakers are designed for inductive motors and have a curve on which they trip. Meaning they do not trip with the brief starters load. I have one installed in my Alfa and it works fine, I doubt the starter on the low compression BMW draws that much more but you could upsize it if you wanted to
    Cool!
    "Howdy, Folks!"

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp
    Kill switch = breaker in my suggestion.

My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Kill switch = breaker in my suggestion.
    Note that any true kill solution for the trunk mounted battery would have to be a 2 pole solution. One for the main power lead and the other for the engine electronics.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by modifiede30 View Post
    I have mine fully apart if you need a pic of where the wire runs. I'd suggest installing a master cut off switch in the trunk and then using a small length to connect from the switch to the battery - it'll be a lot less hassle and if you're ever worried about theft, its an easy way to completely disable the car while not around. It'll cause you to lose all your memory info in the car - clock, radio, etc., but depending on frequency might be worthwhile. I just finished gutting the interior to install my kill switch and track interior parts so the main cable is pretty easy to see where it runs to/fro.
    could you please post pictures?

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp
    FYI, the trip curve
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1986 BMW 325e
    There are two cables that connect to the positive terminal of the battery. What do each of them do?

One of the cables is broken and the battery is dead. I had the battery replaced a year or two ago, but the car has been sitting for a couple months in the cold. When I jump the car it starts and runs fine.

Is the dead battery a function of the broken cable, the battery, alternator, or something else?
    Last edited by mountainclimber; 04-01-2022 at 05:55 PM.

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    there is a small constant draw on e30 batteries. if parking for a long term either remove the battery or put it on a battery tender. if you parked it in the cold, and it ran down, the battery will freeze and destroy it. sounds like what happened here.

My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    See my post above that starts "There are actually 2 wires that run from the battery (+) post in the trunk."
    "Howdy, Folks!"