Thread: Group Buy: Z3 BMW MOTORSPORT Seat Belts

My Cars
    z3

Group Buy: Z3 BMW MOTORSPORT Seat Belts

Hey guys,

I'm working with gaphix design haus to make custom BMW Motorsport belts for our cars

What are BMW Motorsport seat belts? They are the coolest seat belts in the whole wide world. They came standard on several rare BMW M models, including some E34 M5's, E30 M3's and E36 M3's. They are a period-correct OE+ option for our cars, but as we know BMW skipped the Z3's with a lot of this cool stuff. So now we have a chance to right that wrong and make BMW Motorsport seat belts for your Z3.

Lets address the immediate concerns first. These are built and assembled in the US using quality seatbelts and meet all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. They are made by a company that provides to many OE's and are guaranteed to function just like your OE belt. This is not some cheap China crap that cut a piece of fabric to look like a belt that they roughly cut to shape. No, this company disassembles the core, measures the stock belt and the locations of all the little things you don't realize matter and they replicate the OEM belt exactly using a custom printed "BMW Motorsport" belt (or other belt in a color/design of your choosing).
    OE belts also had the text sewn into the belt, these reproductions have the text printed. The top two red belts are original, the purple belt above is the gaphix printed reproduction for sale in this group buy

Not a fan of the BMW Motorsport belts but still want something cool? Check out some of the other print options below. Most of these are the same $350/pair price, but let me know what you want first so I can verify

Regarding cores - you can send in your current belts, buy a pair of used cores from somewhere to send in, have me source a core, or buy new cores. Price obviously varies depending on option. For me to source a core is about $85/set, but price may vary.
    *Please note that coupe belts are different and those cores may be a little more expensive

There is about a 3-4 week lead time with these from when payment is taken. Payment will be taken after I close the group buy, which will likely be within about 2 weeks. At that time full payment will be required, I will send all the cores to the company who will add the belts of your choice, then they are shipped to you.

Also of note - I am already making enough sets out of pocket to hit the discount tier. This means there is NO minimum number of participants from here. If even just ONE single person wants belts they get this discounted pricing. So it's not really a group buy so much as it is just an opportunity to get some cool belts for quite a bit cheaper than normal
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 05-07-2019 at 11:51 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    Just realized we have pending orders for red, purple and blue "BMW Motorsport" belts... gonna be a cool photoshoot when they come in

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    These are super cool but I cant justify because I have custom darker ///M-blue seatbelts made in Finland. But If I had not I would of had jumped immediately! I am super proud of you BimmerBreaker!! I need another M Coupe to install all the nice goodies our members are fabricating nowadays.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe x2
    Yeah, I need a set of purple Motorsports. Cool, danke, dude.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    If I find cheap cores I'm probably in...saw these on an E36 M3 and they looked great! Can you do the old school M colors...blue, violet, red?
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-29-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    If I find cheap cores I'm probably in...saw these on an E36 M3 and they looked great! Can you do the old school M colors...blue, violet, red?
    Would it be easier if I charged a core charge up front that was refunded if I receive your old belts in usable condition as cores?

Few sets of roady cores for $85/pair right now on ebay as well. Some sets look better than others so if you wanted to do that let mr know and I can point you towards a good set

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Would it be easier if I charged a core charge up front that was refunded if I receive your old belts in usable condition as cores?

Few sets of roady cores for $85/pair right now on ebay as well. Some sets look better than others so if you wanted to do that let mr know and I can point you towards a good set
    I looked at the (3) sets on eBay, and the plastics seemed iffy. One looked decent, two looked quite dried out to my eyes. I'll look closer at my belts, but as it's been garaged its entire life I think the plastics are in far better shape. I just want to make sure what I get is >= to what I give up.

But yes, a refundable core is always easier.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 05-30-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    z3
    I looked at the (3) sets on eBay, and the plastics seemed iffy. One looked decent, two looked quite dried out to my eyes. I'll look closer at my belts, but as it's been garaged its entire life I think the plastics are in far better shape. I just want to make sure what I get is >= to what I give up.

But yes, a refundable core is always easier.
    A little cracking on the D ring is normal with age but excessive cracking can affect the tension on the belt (not a safety thing, but affects the feel as you pull it or retract it).

My cores have good D rings, Ill gladly do a core exchange

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    A little cracking on the D ring is normal with age but excessive cracking can affect the tension on the belt (not a safety thing, but affects the feel as you pull it or retract it).

My cores have good D rings, Ill gladly do a core exchange

Are you still doing these? I might want to do this before I put my interior back in.

My Cars
    z3
    Yeah, but I am having trouble finding suitable cores. They don't want to re-use any with noticeable cracking on those D-rings and most I'm finding are not of good enough quality. The turnaround time is about 3-5 weeks if one were to send in their current set - that's a big reason why I've been trying to source cores, so people can choose what they want, then when its ready it just ships to them and they ship their old belts back if suitable for a core. That way there is no downtime

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I still want my roll hoop leather in Imola...package deal on belts and hoops?
    Last edited by s8ilver; 10-04-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Damn if my coupe didnt have the beige interior I would be down but its hard to think it would look good on the oxford green/tan combo

My Cars
    z3
    I still want my roll hoop leather in Imola...package deal on belts and hoops?
    Not sure I'm going to do the hoops anymore. Only sold a few and still have a black leather set here I paid for and haven't sold (sort of for lack of effort though, I admit...)
    Quote Originally Posted by ihm96 View Post
    Damn if my coupe didnt have the beige interior I would be down but its hard to think it would look good on the oxford green/tan combo
    Beige belts with black motorsport text

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Not sure I'm going to do the hoops anymore. Only sold a few and still have a black leather set here I paid for and haven't sold (sort of for lack of effort though, I admit...)
    Stitching color on the set you have?
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    z3
    Black leather with black stitching

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Yeah, but I am having trouble finding suitable cores. They don't want to re-use any with noticeable cracking on those D-rings and most I'm finding are not of good enough quality. The turnaround time is about 3-5 weeks if one were to send in their current set - that's a big reason why I've been trying to source cores, so people can choose what they want, then when its ready it just ships to them and they ship their old belts back if suitable for a core. That way there is no downtime

Do you think it would be helpful if I designed new D rings that were intended to be produced from polished/annodized aluminum or stainless steel? AFAIK these plastic ones will be increasingly difficult to find in decent condition as time goes on.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Coupe
    Can you document how to disassemble and re-wind these?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I managed to find a nice set of cores with perfect D rings from a roadster that appeared to never not have the hardtop on. Can you PM me about next steps going forward?

My Cars
    1999 M Coupe
    I'd love to get a set of these if there is still the option to do so.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Henway View Post
    Can you document how to disassemble and re-wind these?
    I don't do any disassembly myself and neither would you They come as pre-assembled belt assemblies. Unbolt old assembly, bolt the new custom one on

Quote Originally Posted by TommyMaddox View Post
    I managed to find a nice set of cores with perfect D rings from a roadster that appeared to never not have the hardtop on. Can you PM me about next steps going forward?
    I will PM you now, I just saw this

Quote Originally Posted by cheech320 View Post
    I'd love to get a set of these if there is still the option to do so.
    Yes there is
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 02-10-2019 at 07:12 PM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    S54 Roady, LS1 & LS2 E36
    Are you doing this for E36's as well?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch138 View Post
    Are you doing this for E36's as well?
    Yes soon but I want to get through Z3's first I just acquired an E36 I want purple belts for so gonna get started on that sooner rather than later...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E36 Cabrio 328i
    Hello. At first sorry for my english it's bad, but i do what i can
    I'm from Poland and i find your post about seat belts. Do you still make it ? I need 2 or 4 seat belts for my bmw e36 cabrio, ( like oem bmw motorsports, red seat belt, black inscription ). It may be the belt itself, I will give it to the company for exchange with black.
    Regards