Thread: Adjusting e brake with wheel studs

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe

Adjusting e brake with wheel studs

hey guys, i installed wheel studs a little while ago and adjusted the parking brake at the time but wondering how im going to adjust it in the future when I do rear brakes. any ideas?
    99' Titanium Silver/Black E36 ///M3 Coupe

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    If you already adjusted it properly before your stud conversion, chances are you won't have to again for a very long time. Other than that you have two choices. Pull the rotor off, adjust, put it back on and test, OR remove one of the studs to do it through the stud hole, but then you have to chase and clean the threads to thread the stud back on afterwards.

If you prefer to do neither, adjust via the cables at the parking brake handle.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I have studs and had to do this when I had the parking brakes off during my suspension rebuild. I basically just took the rotor on and off a bunch as I got the adjuster somewhat close. It doesn't have to be perfect. You just don't want it providing resistance while spinning, but at the same time to be relatively close (like several clicks of the adjuster away from slowing it down). The fine tuning can be done on the cables attached to the brake lever to pull up any slack and make sure they're engaged by 4 clicks up or whatever the Bentley procedure was.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by mldyanks213 View Post
    hey guys, i installed wheel studs a little while ago and adjusted the parking brake at the time but wondering how im going to adjust it in the future when I do rear brakes. any ideas?
    I don't think it's that hard to pull a stud, but that's just me.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I didn't want to hassle with cleaning/chasing all the threads and everything. It's probably a push in terms of time.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Adjust your e-brake, as needed, whenever you replace your wheel studs. Wheel studs are a maintenance item on a car that has wheels changed often (race car, not stance machine).
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    None of you guys have ever owned a vehicle with drum brakes I take it.....

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I have, but never touched them. After completely disassembling my parking brakes though, I'm pretty certain I now know how to work on any drum brake. It's not that bad, but the final springs are annoying to get back into place given that you have to stretch them to get them to hook in and they require quite a bit of force.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    I have, but never touched them. After completely disassembling my parking brakes though, I'm pretty certain I now know how to work on any drum brake. It's not that bad, but the final springs are annoying to get back into place given that you have to stretch them to get them to hook in and they require quite a bit of force.
    Yep. Besides wheel cylinders for the hydraulics it's the same thing.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Haha - yes and yes and yes. As bad as the rear wheel bearing operation is, the parking brake is half the trouble. I'd love to never have to touch them again.

As an aside, I think it's odd that guys with track cars often ditch their parking brake - aka emergency brake.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    It makes some sense. One, it's a few pounds of unsprung weight. Also, it's generally discouraged to use your parking brake at all during track use. Probably doesn't matter as much with a drum-style brake, but for parking brakes which grip the disc of the rotor you don't want to do that when your rotor is hundreds of degrees so it can melt all over your rotor and leave a nice deposit. If my car was trailered or only ever driven to/from the track, I wouldn't have a problem removing it. It would never be used.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 05-30-2018 at 04:56 PM.

My Cars
    M3
    Hahaha, Tost, I get people allll the time...WOW you just pulled your Ebrake after a session...or anything else. I'm like yeah, got money to burn haha.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    It makes some sense. One, it's a few pounds of unsprung weight. Also, it's generally discouraged to use your parking brake at all during track use. Probably doesn't matter as much with a drum-style brake, but for parking brakes which grip the disc of the rotor you don't want to do that when your rotor is hundreds of degrees so it can melt all over your rotor and leave a nice deposit. If my car was trailered or only ever driven to/from the track, I wouldn't have a problem removing it. It would never be used.
    It's the EMERGENCY part I'm talking about, not the parking bit. I assume everyone knows not to use their parking brake after a session. And I'd hope most people never have to use them on track, either. But to me it's kind of like getting rid of your fire extinguisher because it weighs 5 pounds and you never use it...

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    It's the EMERGENCY part I'm talking about, not the parking bit. I assume everyone knows not to use their parking brake after a session. And I'd hope most people never have to use them on track, either. But to me it's kind of like getting rid of your fire extinguisher because it weighs 5 pounds and you never use it...
    Yeah I hear you. In certain cases you may be able to strategically/carefully use the e-brake to bleed some speed before you exit the track, but I'm not sure I'd want to just yank the thing up at 120 mph. Maybe one rear wheel locks and the other doesn't, which causes you to spin or veer off the track. Even with a total loss of brake pressure, it may be more desirable to try to steer the car into the grass/gravel as opposed to causing unpredictable things to happen to the rear end and having no idea where you'll end up. I'm not a racer so I don't know, but I'm sure those guys have some sort of standard procedure for those situations.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Mine are adjusted for now. When I need to do rear brakes I'll just get it close then put the rotor on. I don't want to remove a stud because I would have to heat it up. Red locktite..I don't feel like going through all that haha
    99' Titanium Silver/Black E36 ///M3 Coupe