Thread: Sirius Module: Dead, Unplugged, Need to be Activated?

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport

Sirius Module: Dead, Unplugged, Need to be Activated?

Picked up a 2003 540iA Friday (site unseen purchase). To my pleasant surprise, there is a bluetooth module in the trunk and an AUX cord in the glovebox. I paired my phone and the quality is passable for a voice call. When someone speaks on the other end it sounds a little AM radio ish. I still may attach a bluetooth receiver to the AUX that can handle both voice and audio for streaming music.

There is a BMW/Sirius antenna (square box) sitting on the rear window deck but I don't seem to have the interface on the MKIV screen. I cycle through modes and all I get is AUX and Tape? Either it does not work or has been removed? Am I missing something? There is a BMW manual for SAT in the glovebox and I will check it out. I believe the SAT unit is mounted in the trunk radio area?

If any of you experts in the trunk or with upgrading can make any sense out of these pictures or weigh in on why I have no SAT mode I would appreciate it. There are lots of cables not connected, but those may be obsolete from the upgrading? Bluetooth works, TV works (as well as it can), AUX works - I believe the Sirius module is below the NAV mounted vertically?

Some other miscellaneous items to address:
    - NAV error reading the DVD. Could it be the DVD? I plan to flash it with the hacked V32 firmware.
    - Passenger seat twists when going up and down (big square control). Need to fix that.
    - Ashtray is missing and the light for the space is dangling. Prior owner must of used that space for something. I will find an ashtray online (don't smoke, but it looks bad when open). Any other ideas for the space other than a cupholder?
    - Windshield has a chip and the deal is badly weathered. Knew about this, new windshield and seal coming soon.

I think that's it.

My Cars
    2003 540i6 M-Sport
    No Sirius radio in 2003. Somebody ripped a ton of crap out of there at some point.

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 777300ER View Post
    No Sirius radio in 2003. Somebody ripped a ton of crap out of there at some point.
    Not true on Sirius. That silver box under the DVD NAV is a BMW Sirius Module. The later model BM53 radios had AUX, Bluetooth and Sirius capabilities.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    I would suggest uploading better photos.

From what I can tell, I am seeing the TV Module under the MKIV, not Sirius.

The Sirius module is very thin in comparison. There is also a questionable exposed green PCB board there too.

If your MKIV cannot read the disk it is either A) a bad disk or B) a bad reader laser.
    Last edited by Dking078; 05-28-2018 at 09:16 PM.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post

The Sirius module is very thin in comparison. There is also a questionable exposed green PCB board there too.

If your MKIV cannot read the disk it is either A) a bad disk or B) a bad reader laser.
    Thank you. From what I have seen, the BMW Sirius would be mounted where you think is the TV module, correct? Could it be the prior owner used a Sirius antenna (it is a square back box with Sirius on the top) for the Television module? Yeah, I have been wondering what the floating piece of PCB is? Definitely looks like this was a DYI job and not a dealer install. I will try to post better pictures, it does not appear that I can upload pictures to BF, just link to them? That makes it difficult.

Any how, I would love to get this sorted out and know what I have. The TV is pretty useless, I think I get something every once in a while, usually a soccer game in Spanish! I sorted out the NAV or at least it did on its own and started reading the DVD. Ordered another one before it started working.
    Last edited by Joe///540i; 05-29-2018 at 03:48 AM.

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post

Figured out what the PCB is:

http://www.radwell.com/en-US/Buy/ELK...ODUCTS/ELK-800

An audio amplifier that is wired into the Bluetooth hardness. I figured some things out from this mess that I am sure had a lot more "stuff" at one point. There is no Sirius module, but there is a Sirius antenna on the bacl wondow deck that is connected to the TV module. Unless there was a module that did both TV and Sirius, seems the prior owner used a Sirius antenna for the television.