Thread: Roadster OEM Rear Window, to glue or not to glue?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster

Roadster OEM Rear Window, to glue or not to glue?

The instructions for the OEM window don't mention the use of any glue when installing the window (just the double sided tape that is already stuck to the window). However, several threads about the window install mention putting glue on the top where the tape would attach.

Is this the accepted practice? Has anyone had issues with using the tape alone (as per the BMW instructions)?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ration/BQ0HiOj

Thanks

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    There are two types of new window:
    - OEM, the one used with the instructions you have posted. No glue needed, only use the double sided tape as per instructions
    - Emiata window that uses a different design to seal the top. This window used glue to seal the window flap to the soft top fabric.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I have the OEM window and I understand that the instructions show to only use the tape.

However, there are several threads where people use glue with the tape. Including this DIY on the ZSCCA site: http://zscca.org/techtopics/images/z...structions.pdf

My questions are has anyone experienced any issues when using just the tape? Do most people use glue with the tape?

Thanks

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I have not read of using supplemental glue anywhere else but in that DIY. It sounds like a good idea as long as removable rubber cement is used as shown. Permanent glue or contact cement could interfere with the eventual replacement of the window.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405