Thread: No Start—Fried O2 Sensor and Main Relay

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is Cabrio

No Start—Fried O2 Sensor and Main Relay

My '91 vert died on the freeway a few weeks ago, and my mechanic just gave up. Here's everything I know:

It died cleanly, just dropping in RPMs without any noises etc. From then on, it cranks but doesn't start. According to my mechanic, the O2 sensor and main relay were both fried. He also says that it fried the DME, but I don't think he's removed it, and when I took it out it the circuit board looks totally clean.

Mechanic says it's not the fuel pump or crankshaft sensor, so I've ruled those out. He says it's a short in the engine wiring, as you can hear a brief click when you plug in a good main relay. The click comes from the alternator/alternator wires—is a click normal, or evidence of the problem?

I figure if the alternator area isn't supposed to click on connection then that's my problem, and I need to figure out how to get the engine wiring harness off so I can rewire. But if not, I'm lost. Any advice is very much appreciated, and if pics or more details would help let me know.

Thanks in advance

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    The engine harness comes off the engine, like any other. It comes off the round mount on the firewall too, just twist the top part off and undo the snaps and it drops out so you can pull it.

Not surr aboit your clicking but i imagine there should not be a click unless the key is on
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is Cabrio
    Thanks! I got the harness off, and found a bit of exposed wire near the source of the clicking. It's the thick wire that goes to the alternator. My guess at this point is that it shorted to ground, thus frying my o2 sensor, main relay, and (according to the mechanic anyway) my ECU. Does that sound likely?

My Cars
    I am not sure. I geuss its possible. See if anyone local will try your ecu out for you to see if their car runs
    No e30s again.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    I would repair the harness and replace all 3 relays (main, fuel, O2). Is your battery in the hood or in the trunk? If it's in the trunk, check the fusible link near the battery. It may have fried. I don't think they have them with hood mounted batteries. In either event make sure you're getting power to the relays.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is Cabrio
    I repaired and replaced the harness, no change. Battery's in the front. I'll figure out how to test those relays and report back--I know the main was blown before and I've replaced it.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is Cabrio
    Update: Relays are good, still no change. I'm at a loss folks.

My Cars
    try to find someone else with a 318 and see if their car runs on your ecu. just because the board looks clean doesn't mean a diode or resistor didn't burn up. it could be your ecu stil.

- - - Updated - - -

is there some kind of reference sensor on a 318 that the ecu needs to get a reading from for the fuel injection to fire, or timing to be set off of?
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is Cabrio
    I just stumbled across this and I realize I never explained what happened. Turns out my mechanic installed the wrong main relay which prevented it from starting... I guess the moral of the story is to do it yourself or go to a specifically European car place.

My Cars
    at least you didn't have to buy an ecu. and your car is back on the road
    No e30s again.