BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: 3 cars for sale: '87 535is, '89 325iX, '88 325iC

My Cars
    535is, 325iC, 325iX, 318

3 cars for sale: '87 535is, '89 325iX, '88 325iC

Liquidating my vintage BMWs in order to fund my e30 2-door touring build (plans for euro s50b32). I have acquired this E28 and two e30s over the years, all are somewhat unique cars and are near and dear to my heart but it is time to move one and focus on one build rather than spreading my resources and time too thin over now a total of 6 cars (4 vintage cars and 2 daily drivers for my wife and I). I have tried to put attractive prices on all of these cars to make them move, I have a number in my mind for all three that if I can't get I'll just keep them but I am open to all reasonable offers. WILL NOT CONSIDER TRADES (unless it was an all 3 for 1 swap). Cars are located in Asheville, NC, they were all in the Clarion hotel parking lot for The Vintage last weekend with ‘for sale’ signs so some of you have probably seen them and would appreciate your comments.

Full album for all 3 cars:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/141941...57696437499764

'87 535is $5000 obo:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/141941...57691399796750

'89 325iX $7000 obo:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/141941...57695454929671

'88 325iC $7000 obo:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/141941...57695454975111

First up is the ’87 E28 535is. It has several very appealing features and a few major detractors to mention up front. This car is the one that needs the most but also in my opinion the one with the most potential.

$5000 OBO

First the positives include the euro “dirty” M30 with the “piano top pistons”, engine has an estimated 130k on it, 220k on the chassis. I think most of you are familiar with this engine and the rest can find out with google. Second big positive is the custom Luke-installed “Luke-box” 10” sub with amp rack and passive crossover network (all made and installed by the now defunct German Audio Specialties). This stereo sounds amazing and maintains crystal clear audio at very high volumes, good clean bass but not overpowering. The car is also fitted with a euro valence including the side indicators and fogs, has a euro pfeba front lip. The interior is in very good condition, original black leather is free of any tears or rips and looks very good, all of the functions in the power front seats work except for the headrest up and down, the dash was crack free until very recently I unfortunately noticed a few small cracks starting. There is a brand new almost $1000 Billy Boat stainless exhaust which sounds great. There is a rear euro deck with the rear sunshade but I don’t have the clips for the ceiling to suspend it, because of the brake light removal associated with the euro deck the brake light alert on the check panel comes one. The suspension is bilstein HDs and H+R springs, rides well and slightly lower without being too jarring.

Now the bad. The paint was a respray in 2011 I believe and is failing. The car was my daily for most of the time I’ve owned it and has been outside. You can see the paint cracks in the pics, the hood and trunk are faded. Next up is the car started spilling coolant all over my feet just last week (shortly after the first interested party test drove it : ), I’m pretty sure it’s the heater core. The heater core has now been bypassed so the car is fully drivable just no heat without a labor-intensive replacement. Those are the two major downers, there are multiple other smaller issues. The tach and temp gauge on the cluster don’t work (SI board batteries I presume). The front strut mounts show some cracking and will need to be replaced at some point, the car rides pretty tight but I’m sure there are some other bushings etc. which could be replaced to refresh things but that’s definitely not an upfront need as there's no wiggle or noises going over potholes etc. The Billsteins/H+Rs are in good condition. The ventilation fan stopped working this winter. The AC worked for about 2 months last time I had it recharged in 2014 but I haven’t looked into it beyond that. The hood sticks a little and you often have to pull the hood cable twice to get it to open. The rear windows work but if you drop them all the way down sometimes you have to give them a little help to get them back up. The sunroof pops up and down but sticks pretty badly and needs help opening and closing.

If you painted the car, did the heater core, and fixed some of the minor issues you’d have a very pretty e28 with a smooth pulling strong engine, good suspension, excellent interior, and tip top stereo. Euro bumpers would set it off and the front valence is already all set to go. That was my plan but with too many other cars with needs I never got around to it and it’s time to move on. The carfax was clean when I bought it and remains so.

Here are the two prior for sale ads from mye28:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=euro

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t...asc&highlight=

Next up is the ’89 325iX.

$7000 OBO

This one has been r3v owned since at least 2006. Initially by Karzrtoyz, then by me, then by Nickix, then by me again. Dave karzrtoyz sold it to me in 2007, I was living in Seattle at the time and flew down to LA to pick it up and drove it back up to Seattle, epic road-trip. He had picked it up from a wealthy gentleman in San Fran who had it garaged with his Porsche and Rover and I believe was the original owner. I had it for 3-4 years and then sold it to Nick who is a master tech at BMW Seattle. It needed front suspension work at the time, he rebuilt the entire suspension and then daily’d it ~30 miles each way for several years. During his ownership his other major jobs were rebuilding the head and installing a brand new transfer case ~50,000 miles ago. He also did the R134 AC conversion just before selling it back to me in addition to a ton of other maintenance. The timing belt is less than 2 years old and has well under 10,000 miles on it. The only and big downside on this car is the AWD system is not currently working. I haven’t had the time to get it checked out and am ready to move on from the car. I find it hard to believe the new transfer case would fail so quickly so would suspect splines on the front axles or front driveshaft but that is just guessing. It drives great on dry roads but I took it out in the snow this year and it was clearly not running AWD. Other than that the other smaller issues are the tach stopped working recently and the moonroof sticks some. On the plus side the original Alpine II paint is in great condition, the leather is very nice, the heated seats are perfect for winter mornings, the moonroof is a great rare option, the euro smoked smilies with HIDs are awesome, the fogs are new, the car really looks and drives amazing for 296,000 miles, no one who sees the car can believe the paint and overall condition given the mileage. I bought it back from Nick 1.5 years ago for $11.5k, I may have overpaid a little for nostalgia purposes but it was the car I always wanted back. I’m just looking to make this easy now and given the AWD system am willing to let it go for a fair bit less.

Last is the ’88 zinno 325iC.

$7,000 OBO

I bought this car from Kovs, his FS ad is here:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=209686

Cluster now shows 118k and stopped working again this year, I am estimating 140k miles on the car. There’s not too much to say about it, it looks essentially the same as when I bought it in 2011. The steering rack went shortly after I bought it and I swapped in the quicker ratio Z3 rack. It is due for timing belt based on years but not based on mileage. I’ve put only ~20k miles on the car since 2011 and have enjoyed every one, I left it in storage for two of the years I have owned it and it has been garaged and/or covered the rest of the time. My favorite part about this car is the flip up windscreen, you can be doing 85mph with the top down, as long as the windows are up and windscreen is up it’s super quiet and your GFs hair won’t even be whipping around. Guys dig the car, girls love it, the interior is gorgeous. Paint presents very well from 5ft but isn’t perfect. Recently I did the distributor cap and rotor, plugs, ignition wires, replaced some vacuum hoses which leaked on smoke test, valve adjustment. It was R134 converted before I bought it and was always nice and cold. After I stored the car for two years the AC didn't blow cold. I'm not a big AC guy and I only ever drive this car in nice weather, I never looked into it. May just need a recharge, could be more extensive, I don't know. I could get it charged and timing belt done before you pick the car up if we want to negotiate that into the price.

I don't have time to deal with a lot of rif raf and would prefer serious buyers only, I think I have priced the cars attractively and there is room to negotiate if you have funds ready. My priority is moving the cars not getting rich, I will negotiate primarily for the sake of convenience and an easy sale. I will hide nothing. All the titles are in hand and clean. I won't hold a car for anyone until I have $500 in hand. If you want to arrange door to door shipping I can be there for the pickup, I won't deliver the cars anywhere.

Thank you all in advance for any interest and helpful comments, if you think my prices are way out of line I would be surprised but obviously the longer the cars sit I will start dropping the price. I think you can see from the pics that I am presenting these cars honestly, I have bought a car that was misrepresented before and remember how sorely disappointing that can be; it won't happen here, I just want fair value.

My Cars
    535is, 325iC, 325iX, 318
    Bump for update. 535is and 325iC are SOLD, the 325iX is still available. Thanks.

My Cars
    2007 Fuji pro team ltd
    What’s the status of the rust on the ix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    X5 328i 325iT Z3
    Ditto on the ix!
    BMW fleet...
    2023 X5 4.0Xi
    2012 F650GS
    2007 F650GS
    2006 F650GS
    2002 325iT
    1999 Z3
    2003 530i (son's car)
    1996 318ti (son's car)

Departed BMWs...2011 328i...2009 328i...2001 325i...1998 328is...1997 328is...1997 328Ti...