Thread: oil pressure sender leaking

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!

oil pressure sender leaking

Anyone experience a stock oil pressure sender leaking not where the threads come into contact with the OFH but from inside the plug? Is this possible? I've chased down an oil leak to the the stock sender. Mine is a used sender that came with a S54/euro OFH.

Did anyone have to put plumber's tape onto the threads to stop leaks? Thanks for any advice!

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    The stock oil pressure switch doesn't use tapered pipe threads, so you don't seal them. RealOEM doesn't show one, but I think I recall it using a 12mm copper or aluminum sealing washer. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong about that; it's years since I've used the stock part.) If not it seals on a taper at the base of the threads. I suppose it would be possible for the switch to develop an internal leak to the connector, but I haven't actually heard of that ever happening.

Maybe just replace the switch anyway. It's under $20.

Neil

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Thanks Neil for your input! I replaced it last night with a known good one. I double checked it wasn't leaking from the new sealing washer I used. The inside of the sensor and the connector attached to the engine harness was oily. I just refurbished engine parts and added a BW oil distribution block along with real gauges. I'll report back what I find.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    Apparently the oil pressure sensor sensor was leaking through the sensor (not at the o-ring). I replaced it so the leaking seems to have stopped. I got this from another member who boosted his motor I believe. Maybe that was the culprit.
    Last edited by scooper; 06-10-2018 at 02:34 PM.