Thread: 2000 bmw z3 stored 10 years

My Cars
    A3,vs cc

2000 bmw z3 stored 10 years

Hello, just joined the forum.
    I found a 2000 z3 2.3 that was parked and covers in an non heated garage in around 2007. The owner had a minor accedent that dammaged the front passenger headlight, bumper, and hood, not badly but damaged. The battery is dead so I can't verify the mileage, owner says it has between 15 to 20k. I'm gonna buy it but was wandering what kind of advice I could get as far as getting it up and running. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    If that is accurate it should not be too hard to start. I'd probably try to get as much of the old gas out of there as possible and put fresh gas in. Then hook up a new battery. If the starter works and the plugs are okay I would not be chocked if it starts up with fresh fuel and spark.

My Cars
    A3,vs cc
    Seem so on be legit story. I had been seeing this car for some time and stopped by yesterday. Pulled the cover off and the damn thing looks new. Gonna get a battery so I can see the mileage and how much gas is in the tank. One tire Olmsted completely flat, other than the minor damage it looks pretty sweet. Never owned a bmw before but am pretty stoked at the prospect of getting this one.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Dillgence
    After putting a battery to check the mileage, I would go through as much of the buyer's checklist as possible and applicable, without starting the engine:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=7

Fuel
    The tank has no drain, and the filler may have an anti-siphoning flap. Most of the 10-year old gas can be siphoned out by using the fuel pump access behind the passenger seat. Add two cans of fuel system cleaner (Techron etc) and fill with fresh gas. Although the fuel filter has enough capacity to last over a hundred thousand miles, the fuel may have congealed in it. Fuel may also have congealed in the fuel injection system. Perhaps replacing the filter and cleaning the injectors would be a good idea before starting.

Cylinders
    Ten years of storage in an unheated garage in Denver could have subjected the cylinders to condensation and rust. I would remove the plugs, squirt in some penetrating oil followed a few hours later by squiring in some oil. Then turn the engine over without the plugs.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    you really expect the filter to be gummed clogged, but the pump and injectors to be fine? My experience says just the opposite. I have resurrected many a car over the years. Usually the pump is done. The injectors will need rebuilt or replaced, and the tank will need to be removed and boiled out. The problem is there is no one left in business to boil tanks; the cheapo Chinese radiators have put them all out of business.

/.randy

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    you really expect the filter to be gummed clogged, but the pump and injectors to be fine? ... .
    Had not thought it through, forgot about them. To remove the tank, do the differential and rear suspension have to be removed?
    Last edited by Vintage42; 05-26-2018 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Yes, everything has to go. The fuel pump can be pulled through the interior and the tank inspected from there. Lots of varnish buildup means you will keep killing pumps and filters unless the tank is cleaned out. At least it's a plastic tank, otherwise you'd be dealing with rust, too.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Just pump out the old gas. Refill with new and a stabilizer.

Then start it up.

If you keep following these tips you will end up throwing $$$ at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    ... remove the plugs, squirt in some penetrating oil followed a few hours later by squiring in some oil. Then turn the engine over without the plugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetchief View Post
    Just pump out the old gas. Refill with new and a stabilizer. Then start it up. If you keep following these tips you will end up throwing $$$ at it.
    It costs nothing to remove the plugs and lube the cylinders. They are certainly dry, might have a little corrosion, and it will take longer than usual for the oil pump to fill the passages and get oil to them.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 05-28-2018 at 06:57 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Tires are a must. Check the e-brake to make sure it was not set--don't pull on the handle, but just make sure it is all the way down. If it was set, therein lies a whole new set of issues. I myself would pass on the opportunity--it is better to buy a higher miles car that has been driven consistently throughout the years than a low miles example that has sat for ten. Unless you are looking for a restoration platform, a garage find is not a happy find--there are bound to be unpleasant surprises in store.