Thread: Trans fluid 740i 5HP30

My Cars
    94 bmw 740i

Trans fluid 740i 5HP30

Anyone know how to add trans fluid in 740i transmission mine is empty

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    with a pump from below. I use a garden spray pump and cut off the nozzle at the top and added a short hose, here we go
    original http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LCIvpgW-Vv...0/IMG_2818.jpg
    modified http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0osDSOe6Wd...0/IMG_2814.jpg

procedure https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...lication-Chart
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    94 bmw 740i
    What brand of fluid should i use in it

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Here you have a complete kit with Ravenol ATF which comes from Germany and is a multi vehicle ATF for 4HP and 5HP https://www.blauparts.com/bmw-740i-a...e-kit-e32.html
    Fits E32 Platform with ZF 5 Speed Auto Transmission,BMW 740i Automatic Transmission Filter Fluid Kit w/ A5S 560Z Transmission Includes:
    High Quality German Filter / Fluid Components
    •Automatic Transmission Filter
    •Filter to Valve Body O-ring
    •Transmission Pan Gasket
    •Transmission Pan Drain Plug Sealing Washer
    •Transmission Fill Plug Sealing Washer
    •Extra Oil Transmission Pan Mounting Hardware
    •6 Liters German RAVENOL Synthetic BMW Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) - Adequate quantity of fluid for filter change.
    This ATF meets BMW 83 22 9 407 807 and ESSO LT 71141 specification requirements for A5S 560Z 5 speed automatic transmissions and is specifically designed for ZF 5HP-30 automatic transmissions.
    •Polypropylene Output Pump Dispenser (Hand operated with clear dispensing hose used for transmission fluid transfer. This cost-effective tool can be used in place of BMW special tool.)

My Cars
    94 bmw 740i
    Would it hurt to use dexron 3

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    normal Dexron 3 is for 4HP22 and 4HP24, NOT for the 5HP30. https://www.europeantransmissions.co...fluidchard.pdf
    You need ATF for a 5HP30, if you do not like Ravenol, here is another choice: Fuchs Titan ATF 3353 ATF, Automatic Transmission Fluid.This Part Fits Your 1993 BMW 740IL (E32). Equivalent to: Shell LA 2634. Only for "Black Tag" transmission. Check your tag, is is black or green? https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/FH-83229401719
    But on any online shop website you can select your car, built year and then they show what they have. For example ZF lifeguard http://www.thectsc.com/
    Castrol also has some suitable ATF and many others, your choice, but it must fit for a 5HP30 with the right tag colour

My Cars
    94 bmw 740i
    Black tag

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Information on ATF for the-5HP30 automatic transmission https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...c-transmission

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL
    You can use ZF Lifeguard 5 in your trans, (or an equivalent), the black tags aren't as fussy with oil as the green tag trans.
    The green tag has a regulated torque converter clutch, where the black doesn't. I like the lifeguard 5 as it is a full synthetic oil

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    PJ: in down under the liter ZF Lifeguard 5 for $40 from AS superstore? wow, in the rest of the world you get the liter for less than $20. FCPEURO has it for $17.99, maybe even incl. shipping to OZ, import duty etc you can get ot cheaper from the U.S.

My Cars
    1993 E32 740iL
    Shogun, when I was planning for the valve body upgrade and trans service, I bought a 20 litre drum of Lifeguard 5, as I wanted to flush the whole system, I can't remember how much I paid, but I remember it was a little bit more expensive compared to other brands, or getting it supplied from OS. Because I bought 20 litres it reduced the price, and didn't have to wait for it to be delivered.
    I went with the Lifeguard 5, as she is over 20 years old, trans had never been serviced and it was recommended by a guy that has been working on ZF transmissions for over 25 years. He also told me about the difference between the black and green tag boxes, and that the green tags are more susceptible to incompatible oils due to the way the TCC operates, basically he sorted out all the conflicting information I was getting, so trusted his recommendation to use lifeguard 5 and it won't cause any problems, and the trans has been great since.

My Cars
    1993 740i
    I replaced the valve body in my 5hp30 ~3 years ago and used Redline D4 ATF, so far so good
    '93 740i - Mine
    '13 Range Rover Sport - Hers
    '08 Land Rover LR2 - Hers
    '96 328i - Son's
    '97 328ic - Daughter's
    '87 944 Turbo - Mistress
    '74 Alfa Romeo Spider - Italian Mistress
    Northern Colorado, USA

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    My turn to dig into the black tag 5HP30 oil change... Trans started to slip when cold, and had a delay into reverse when the car had been unused for 5 days, after the first 50 yards it is fine. I checked the fluid level as specs in the procedure and there was a shower, but I was fast enough to screw the port closed, at 35C and latter at 30C, trans in park after shifting thru all the gears.
    Oil is very dark brown, it has been 60000miles since the last service at 61000miles when the valve body was upgraded. I was quoted US$855 for the trans service ... and the indie will use lifeguard, which seems not recommended for the black tag 5HP30 according to the site listed above, and linked here:

https://www.thectsc.com/products/zf-...ner-11-57.html

So, it looks like time to dive in and order the fuchs titan ATF 3353, the BMW filtran filter... and make the socket for the drain plug and get the pressurized garden dispenser

Well called the dealership, and the fee is a lot less... $500 so considerting that FCP wants $250 for the parts... I'll pay the dealership $250 for getting their hands dirty...

The only trouble that I have is that the fluid gushed, not dripped, so was the trans overfilled in 2007 when the valve body was changed... I doubt, and there is no coolant loss...

Any other recommendations that our experts can give are always welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by letank; 04-01-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: update

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    List of approved lubricants dated 1.1.2019:
    https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemed...e-ml-11-en.pdf

Unless you are using the internal temp sensor, you might have got the ATF temp a little too hot when doing the level check?

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    List of approved lubricants dated 1.1.2019:
    https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemed...e-ml-11-en.pdf

Unless you are using the internal temp sensor, you might have got the ATF temp a little too hot when doing the level check?
    Thank you, funny as the ZF lifeguard 5 is listed as approved on the above document, but not approved on the ZF site

I called the dealership and they gave me this number

BM 8322 1469 732, NUMBER changed after calling the parts dept , which is the one listed on the ZF recommended list for the 5HP30 = 8322 9407 807

I'll print the sheet and show it to them

I used an infra red thermometer, also called a non-contact thermometer on our side of the pond.
    Last edited by letank; 04-02-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: RefNumber changed

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    TBF, your link is to CTSC's site, not ZF. 83221469732 does not appear in realoem. The only reference I could find was to a half litre of oil for a motorbike. Over the years there has been a lot of discussion about which ATF to use on the 5HP30 so I deliberately didn't voice an opinion

I have an infra red thermometer but don't use it for this purpose as the procedure is to use the internal temp sensor. That said, I have not compared readings using both methods. I just wonder if the heat transfer through the pan may be a little slow?

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser View Post
    TBF, your link is to CTSC's site, not ZF. 83221469732 does not appear in realoem. The only reference I could find was to a half litre of oil for a motorbike. Over the years there has been a lot of discussion about which ATF to use on the 5HP30 so I deliberately didn't voice an opinion

I have an infra red thermometer but don't use it for this purpose as the procedure is to use the internal temp sensor. That said, I have not compared readings using both methods. I just wonder if the heat transfer through the pan may be a little slow?

So after many talks w the service dept to be sure that the correct fluid would be used and that it was available, we made the appointement, and booked a loaner... a few hours later the service dept called, they do not have the filter... well it is OK we have a brand new 330i with all the options... which includes no dipstick for the engine and the trans... the lane departure option which will force you into your lane unless you use the blinker... which is not good when you try to avoid potholes which are as common as Toyota Prius in the state of California... you have to force the steering which is disconcerting, because well, it is a loaner and we have no ideas where the cancel button is.

Back to our story, we got the car back with the wrong fluid of course the xx 732... but no codes, no leaks as check by the service dept... and no leaks after 100 miles, it shifts well...

Now for the funny part the fluid is billed as $0.99 so as a curiosity I ask the clerk to buy 1 quart... it is cheaper that the quart for the jeep and the jeep does not mind the type of trans oil.... but over the counter it is $19.95...

E32billRepair.jpg

E32newTransOIl.jpg

the previous oil color

E32transOIl60K.jpg

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    There used to be two ATFs 'depending on the marking on the pan aperture'. 83229407807 which IIRC was LT71141 aka BMW's ATF4. The other was 83229407765 which was LA2634. Now if you check realoem, you will find that 83229407765 has been superseded by ..you guessed it - 83229407807. FWIW, I have the litre bottle of that with part number ending 206. So despite all the dire warnings over the years, the current thinking appears to be to use the same ATF in both.

Cant say I like the idea of having to wrestle the steering in an emergency

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    I figured out that some of you would like a 1K mile report. After some long touring drive in hot weather as we transitioned from the mild ocean temperature of the low 60's to well above 100 for extended time and an elevation gain from seal level to slightly above 7000'.

All is well, I have noticed that the trans is down shifting more readily on the low gears which did not seem to occur before. Also until the few first 5min or so the upshift does not seem to happen when the engine / trans are cold , or on first start of the day... either 60F or 75F.

And yes I need a turbo as we went above the 5000' level, it was getting a bit sluggish on the steep grades.

edit: forgot to mention the current mileage of about 123Kmiles (Valve body was replaced at 60K) and yes OEM filters
    Last edited by letank; 07-18-2019 at 03:37 PM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Just to add my own personal experience to this thread— I serviced the 5HP30 in the 1995 750il that I used to own... it whined really badly at 188k miles on the original fluid and filter, particularly when cold. After replacing the filter with an OE Filtran and filling with ZF Lifeguard, the transmission felt great and didn't make any more weird noises. I sold that car a while back, and the current owner drove it to 229k miles on that same transmission, and he beat on it pretty hard. Funnily enough it was the DME/EWS that killed that car, not the transmission. There's a good chance it'll get put into another 750il locally.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Here is the 12K mile post report after ATF change... for some time there has a smell of warm transmission fluid... pretty bad after a few hours of drive when you have to stop at a traffic light... yes I could see some smoke.

Time for an inspection, indeed you can spot some fluid leak on the trans pan -best guess would be the electrical plug - Cleaned it up... and repeat inspection after a week, no trace of fluid leak, but still this ATF smell.

So in order to find the potential origin of the leak, I added some fluo dye... drove around yesterday... took a peak later, no real traces, I can see the dye where it spill on the trans pan... but nothing to be seen.

Now for the oil specs, as said it is BMW oil ref as mentioned earlier... as I was removing the fill plug, that oil is greenish and with a viscosity that is thicker than the original ATF...

I had the luck to find an unmolested 5HP30 black label sometime ago... (the last 3 picts) that 1994 fluid is a lot thinner, it was the original oil filter, dated 1994, and the both magnets were covered with a large amount of metal dust as seen... aaaack! yes the junkyard puts carpetting under the engine area... it makes up for a cozy adventure!

Will recheck for signs of oil seepage later.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by letank; 05-26-2023 at 08:41 PM.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    So after cleaning and running a few hundred miles, I still have that overflow from the unknow source that I suspect is the vent... so after idling and putting in gears for a few minutes to refill the converter... I drained a cup of fluid... and yes it is foaming, overfilled by the stealership...foaming3428.jpg

It is a bit read because of the UV dye.

My Cars
    94 740, 74 wagoneer
    Smell has somehow been less potent... but still present, so I drained another cup... for a total of 2 cups and as a turn of events, now one of the newly installed PS hoses started to ooze (3 years ago) ... and stink up the engine bay... a totally different smell from the transmission... it seems under control now, one of the clamps could be tighten another turn... there was still PS fluid in the reservoir above the low mark... I added dye, no leaks found, but the oil spill has spread under the left side and let go a smell of warm PS fluid which is now weaning after 5 trips.