RM European Auto Parts

Thread: S65 E46 touring...Potential maintenance issues?

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5

S65 E46 touring...Potential maintenance issues?

Yes 2009 E46 wagon that was rebuilt with M inteior bits and an S65 motor, etc. Not buying, but thought I'd float it as a curiosity.

This car was auctioned on BAT and didn't meet reserve @ 44k. For any of you more technically (and financially?) astute members that might be interested, this seems like a really nice implementation. It definitely has room to get the track tires to the track. Maybe an update for Chris's E39Ms. I'll chip into a fund in exchange for a couple sessions around VIR or Mid Ohio.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/20799/t...-perfect-wagon.

Marc
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Umm that's a E-91 amigo...

Yes I have seen a E-46 wagon with a S-54 in it, there was a guy out in Cali who made a couple out of some wreaked vert's.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    Oops, my bad.I had E46 on the brain...still an interesting touring model
    Marc Plante
    E36 M3/4/5 193k
    Konis+ Dinan Springs, Understeer SS, Shepott European steering Wheel, ZKW Ellipsoids, ECIS Intake+ ATE Foam filter, Stromung Exhaust, Recaro SRDs. JVC Arsenal Head Unit. Alpine MRV-F300 Amp, ADS 535i components, JL Audio Stealthbox Subs

My Track Rig:
    i7700 / 2080 PC with Assetto Corsa and Content Manager, Samsung Odyssey+ VR goggles
    Fanatec CSP wheel and pedals, SSH Shifter, recaro seat. Home built cockpit
    Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thanks for thinking of me, Marc. It's cool to think about, but a 12 to 1 compression motor with an aftermarket supercharger just seems sketchy, to me. Besides, no way could I afford a car that expensive....if I could, it would probably be something with a stock engine, or maybe a Dinan tune....I really like reliable. I just don't seem to have the desire to work on my own car, after working on everyone else's, every day.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Thanks for thinking of me, Marc. It's cool to think about, but a 12 to 1 compression motor with an aftermarket supercharger just seems sketchy, to me. Besides, no way could I afford a car that expensive....if I could, it would probably be something with a stock engine, or maybe a Dinan tune....I really like reliable. I just don't seem to have the desire to work on my own car, after working on everyone else's, every day.
    it's interesting - in my part of the world, i've watched instructors tend to move back toward stock after they've danced with highly modified vehicles. anymore, in our run groups, if you want to see the new cars you go to the student groups. if you want to see the "old" and mostly stock cars, you watch the instructor group.

even though i've never been fully into modding my track car, i've done quite a bit to it. i now find myself starting to consider my next track build, and, i keep coming back to reliability and as few variables as possible when i have to troubleshoot. i have given more than one thought to some type of touring for my next build....
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    We've all gone through the progression looking for speed then finding our place in the world. I modified my 325 somewhat in pursuit of lap times, but I always had to use it as a commuter with no backup. Now that I'm a parent, the situation is worse as I have limited time windows to make repairs that *have* to be done to get to work the next day. When life is a big pass fail test, your properties change. Plus it's more fun to get lap times with technique, or to show your student a steady squeal in the street tires around a carousel rather than just going fast.

Chris, understand your perspective. Bill Shook drives absolute S$&t cars and will help someone else before he works in his own cars. As an instructor, he barely even drove because he couldn't get his car track worthy. He's an awesome instructor and a great driver. He was lead skidpad and chief instructor at ncc in the 90s when I started. I need to get my sim running so he can play on it.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I still play, very hard. In fact, I destroyed a set of Michelin PS4S's in a single weekend....$1200, gone. Of course, if I'd afforded a set of coilovers, or maybe even Bilsteins and H&R's, to keep the body roll controlled, I might not have destroyed those expensive tires. I had been praying for rain, as always, but it never came.

(When it rains, I don't hurt my tires....and besides....everyone gets out of my way....because their mirrors look scary.)

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    Go to mid Ohio. It's an awesome track and the locals hide in the paddocks when it rains. Wet diving truly is the best. Easy on the car and...all the c world's a skidpad.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by marcva View Post
    Go to mid Ohio. It's an awesome track and the locals hide in the paddocks when it rains. Wet diving truly is the best. Easy on the car and...all the c world's a skidpad.
    I learned to race, in England. And taught skid control to racing drivers for 7 years..... (If you spin, it shouldn't cost you more than 1.5 seconds from that lap's time.....)

Now, as for DIVING....yes, wet is best. Dry really sucks...

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    oh yes - MidO in the wet is one of the strangest experiences you can have.

COTA in the wet, other than the wipers going, is almost like in the dry. the track is stunning.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    oh yes - MidO in the wet is one of the strangest experiences you can have.

COTA in the wet, other than the wipers going, is almost like in the dry. the track is stunning.
    Never been to either one, my friend. Why is Mid Ohio in the wet so strange? Maybe I'll get lucky enough to go there, and I'd sure like to hear what's "strange", from someone I trust, before I hang it out....

VIR is pretty much expected....we've got rivers, and lakes, and green and yellow painted curbing that you need to stay off of, when it's wet, and, well, the front straight can catch you out.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 05-25-2018 at 08:58 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    usually, in the wet, there's a fairly standard "wet" line or a fairly obvious path of more grip/less grip in the wet.
    at MidO - i think due to the patches in the track, the wet line is, imo, best described as "all over the place."
    the other really strange thing is i constantly felt like areas where i would expect grip, there often wasn't - and in areas i didn't expect grip, there was!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The previous M5. VIR Oct 15 001.jpg The Ferrari, another instructor, had just waved me by.

- - - Updated - - -

In the uphill esses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 05-26-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412