Thread: Black Mats on a Gray Interior

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport

Black Mats on a Gray Interior

Anyone have any experience here or have some pics? I tried this once on my E65 and the BMW "black" mats weren't really black, that were more charcoal and I never used them. I bought a set of M5 BMW black mats that look "blacker" but not as black as the kick plate. Anyhow, I don't have the car yet (today) and am sitting on a train on the way to it as I type and am curious if someone has a pic. New owner novelty for sure here. Thanks.

My Cars
    BMW
    The rubber mats are porous so they do look a little gray after they get some dirt on them. Im thinking maybe we need to retrofit one of those plastic shoe liner dispensers on the car.

In all seriousness - The black mats make the gray interior look much better. It contrasts well with the black dash and black door panel tops. Stop at the coin wash and put them on the hooks and spray them off and keep a towel in the trunk to dry them. Pressure washing is the best way to keep them looking black.

Now that I read your post again it looks like you bought carpet mats. I would highly suggest the black rubber BMW mats (sets cost like $70 front/rear)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PWC5JM...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by WBAD530i; 05-25-2018 at 09:52 AM.

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by WBAD530i View Post
    The rubber mats are porous so they do look a little gray after they get some dirt on them. Im thinking maybe we need to retrofit one of those plastic shoe liner dispensers on the car.

In all seriousness - The black mats make the gray interior look much better. It contrasts well with the black dash and black door panel tops. Stop at the coin wash and put them on the hooks and spray them off and keep a towel in the trunk to dry them. Pressure washing is the best way to keep them looking black.

Now that I read your post again it looks like you bought carpet mats. I would highly suggest the black rubber BMW mats (sets cost like $70 front/rear)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PWC5JM...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks for your input on Black on gray. I think so too. Yeah, I should have noted carpets mats on gray. I’m not a fan of the rubber weather mats from BMW or weather tech. I’ve tried them a few times and my other BMWs. I just don’t like the look and I really don’t like the winter part of them that’s supposed to be a selling point. That collect water and it puddles. I certainly respect other options. I just never took a shimming to them. I’d rather spend $100 a year on new carpeted BMW mats. Maybe someday I will try the cocomats.

I heard the M5 carpeted mats were more black than the standard E39 “Black” mats which are really dark gray. They definitely look more black than the standard black. I’ll post pics in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 M550ix|Carbon Black Dinan Stage 1|2003 540i|Jet Black|M-Sport
    Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2001 530i|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li|2001 530i|2012 535xi|

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Just an FYI...some pics and a well responded thread for the same question occurred over on BimFest's e39 forum (11 replies & 300+ views). But if anyone has more to add...please chime in here because some don't frequent both forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
    Thinking about mats. Could use some pics or experiences with cocomats on a gray carpet. They aren't cheap and I don't think they are returnable so I want to get it right. I was thinking of going black with gray accents?

Came across these too:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-Bla...f&vxp=mtr#rwid

Wondering how they would look. Certainly not trying to be a poser, but I do love the M5 logo.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
    Hopefully you can use your imagination...and look past that the pics below are BMW e39 specific rubber mats...and focus on the dark anthracite (almost black) color and how it contrasts on the gray carpet...and how it coordinates with all the other black trim in the car (upper part of dash, seat switch buttons, steering wheel, glove box handle, center console black accent trim pieces like the gear shift handle and boot, the center stack console (MID/NAV/IHKA/etc are all black), door lock pins and upper door trim, etc. Ultimately its your call because things of this nature are totally a personal choice/decision. You either like, don't like it or are indifferent.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-25-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Just an FYI...some pics and a well responded thread for the same question occurred over on BimFest's e39 forum (11 replies & 300+ views). But if anyone has more to add...please chime in here because some don't frequent both forums.
    That would be me Q! I am guilty of cross forum posting it that is such a thing. I used to have an account here under the same name but I can't remember the PW, it's still Joe-BMW here, but dead for now. Anyhow, yeah, I was looking for a few more pictures with carpeted mats so I thought so I would see if anyone had something.