Thread: Car Cover Question (Built-In Cover?)

My Cars
    2001 S54 M Coupe

Car Cover Question (Built-In Cover?)

I'm about to purchase a car cover from someone, but he doesn't know what brand the car cover is... he said that it has a cover case that is attached to the car cover that you "put under the rear hood so no one can rip it off"... I thought covers had gromets for a cable lock?

Does anyone know what cover he's talking about... he's asking $75. It's custom for the Coupe and NOAH Fabric. Should I take it?

My Cars
    00 MCoupe - 04 Lexus RX330 - 90 325i
    Not sure, but NOAH is typically good stuff. I'm not a fan of the 'slam the cover in your hatch option' though; I guess you wouldn't have to though.....HTH

My Cars
    2000 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by pmpntl
    I'm about to purchase a car cover from someone, but he doesn't know what brand the car cover is... he said that it has a cover case that is attached to the car cover that you "put under the rear hood so no one can rip it off"... I thought covers had gromets for a cable lock?

Does anyone know what cover he's talking about... he's asking $75. It's custom for the Coupe and NOAH Fabric. Should I take it?
    Interesting. I'd like to see pictures.

Lately, I've been thinking about car covers myself. I have a custom car cover (it says BMW on it), but noticed that it isn't good at reflecting heat from the sun. So, I decided to make a heat shield to go over the existing car cover. The heat shield I built is made out of metalized material (it's shiny and opaque) and I have found this to be much more effective in keeping my car cool in direct sunlight during hot summer days. So, with the cover I made placed on top of my normal custom fit cover with the windows cracked the inside temperature of my BMW won't rise much higher than ambient temperatures. Unfortunately, I haven't found an actual car cover that's suitably reflective for this very purpose (at least not yet).

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    he said that it has a cover case that is attached to the car cover that you "put under the rear hood so no one can rip it off"
    That is an OEM BMW NOAH cover. Mine is the same way and came straight from the dealer. It also will have BMW screened on the front and a rear liscense plate window. Most people I know cut the straps attaching the cover to the bag, as the cords are nylon and can scratch the finish. I think these were about $139 new.
    997 Carrera 2S..the choice of 2 out of 3 Top Gear presenters.

My Cars
    '98 M-Roadster, '99 Olds Cutlass, "the Red Dog"
    Also, get some stencils and a can of black spray paint, and spray paint your license plate numbers in large characters on the front and back of the cover. Just one more thing to do to help deter theft.

Then if you EVER see a car cover on another car bearing the remnants of your painted licence plate number on it, you'll know exactly where to express your dissatisfaction.
    <font size="1">Arctic Silver '98 M-Roadster
    Dinan Vortech V-2 Supercharger 9.5 lb boost using Buldogge 6" crank pulley
    Dinan Oil Cooler kit
    Michelin Pilot Sports on 17" wheels
    Dinan Stage I suspension upgrade
    Keyless entry/alarm, added motion and tilt sensors
    Passport Remote radar/laser detector
    Uniden Beartracker BCT-12
    Aquamist 1-S
    Nick G software upgrade
    303 RWHP 264 lb-ft RWTQ (pre Nick G)
    Now ???</font>

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Just got mine from BMW. Its the same way. As long as its NOAH fabric, I dont think it matters what brand it is.

Mine was $126. New. From Dealer.

My Cars
    2001 S54 M Coupe
    I received it and just cut the bag off... and bought a cable lock from Kragen.

I just washed it since it looked dirty (followed the directions from various car cover sites (covercraft & calcover.com). I used woolite (no fantatik around)... and it worked fine... my question:

Is water supposed to "bead" off the cover, because since I've washed it, it protects againt water quite well, but the water soaks the top layer... should i reapply some sort of water repellent??? like for shoes and stuff or keep it as is.

THANKS!

My Cars
    A Few With Roundels
    If you do reapply anything, I'd apply RaggTopp convertible top protectant, or just normal Scotch Gard.

The easiest way to do this is, of course, to put the cover on the car and spray it.