Thread: Data Link Connector, No Power

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan

Data Link Connector, No Power

I just changed my oil and went to plug in my schwaben scanner to reset the oil change interval and I am not getting any power when I connect to the data link connector. It fires right up when I plug it into the 16pin port, however.

I checked all the fuses and got my multimeter out and pin 14 is about 12v while pin 16 is ~11v while the engine is running so (I think?) I should be getting power.

Where do I go from here?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    did you check the fusible link in the trunk, from battery to engine bay? http://www.e36racing.de/e36-umbau/IMG_4817.jpg
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    did you check the fusible link in the trunk, from battery to engine bay? http://www.e36racing.de/e36-umbau/IMG_4817.jpg
    I will check that when I get home. If that is the culprit I would buy you a beer because I don't think I would have ever expected that to be an issue after reading into it.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Just checked the fusable link and I don't think that is the issue, wires were wrapped up tight and had never been played with. Link looks good to me, definitely not a blown connection.

darn...

I know this is a longshot but is there a chance the adapter pins are not touching the pins on the inside of the data link connector? Seems impossible with how hard it is to plug the adapter in and remove it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tfolks206; 05-29-2018 at 10:20 PM.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    The wiring diagram shows that pin 16 is fuse 26, 10amp yellow. Replace it with a new fuse. Was your car an auto? Also on that circuit is the backup lights and if it was fitted, auto transmission A/S/M switch. After you replace the fuse, if you are still seeing reduced voltage, check your reverse lights, and around the shifter.

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 1.48.34 PM.png

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    The wiring diagram shows that pin 16 is fuse 26, 10amp yellow. Replace it with a new fuse. Was your car an auto? Also on that circuit is the backup lights and if it was fitted, auto transmission A/S/M switch. After you replace the fuse, if you are still seeing reduced voltage, check your reverse lights, and around the shifter.

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 1.48.34 PM.png

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf
    The car is an auto but I just replaced literally every single fuse with a new one in hopes of fixing this and still can't get power to the scanner. Backup lights and everything else seems to be working as usual. If I have power at Pins 14 and 16, would it be an issue with the adapter?

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by tfolks206 View Post
    I just changed my oil and went to plug in my schwaben scanner to reset the oil change interval and I am not getting any power when I connect to the data link connector. It fires right up when I plug it into the 16pin port, however.

I checked all the fuses and got my multimeter out and pin 14 is about 12v while pin 16 is ~11v while the engine is running so (I think?) I should be getting power.

Where do I go from here?
    While the engine is running, your voltage should be in 13v range. Whenever there is a voltage difference from 1 circuit to the next, it could be because something on that circuit is faulty.

- What is the voltage at the battery while the engine is running?

The wire color code is GN/WS which is green/white and it only has power in Run and Start.

Here is what I would do;

Check voltage at the B+ by the secondary air pump while engine is running, it should be 1/2 of a volt less than at the battery.

Pull fuse 26 after you start the engine(might not start with it out)

- see what voltage you have on the 1 side, put the fuse in, check voltage again, did it drop?

- if it did, either the range switch(PRND) or the SME transmission mode switch is causing a problem on the circuit(water/drink spill?)

put the meter in pin 16 and leave for checking circuit

- disconnect either switch 1 at a time, check voltage.

If the voltage jumps up, check your scanner to see if it works on the diagnostic connector.

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 7.35.58 PM.png
    Last edited by AJLM34A; 05-30-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    Just a quick question on clarification before I get home and look at this

Pull fuse 26 after you start the engine(might not start with it out)

- see what voltage you have on the 1 side, put the fuse in, check voltage again, did it drop? What do you mean by one side, one side of the fuse pins?

put the meter in pin 16 and leave for checking circuit

- disconnect either switch 1 at a time, check voltage. Where is the program switch? I know how to get to the A/T switch.
    See in quote

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tfolks206 View Post
    darn...I know this is a longshot but is there a chance the adapter pins are not touching the pins on the inside of the data link connector? Seems impossible with how hard it is to plug the adapter in and remove it.
    I only know about a problem with pin 19, copied from the Peake tester manual: E = Communications error: Technical Issues: the R5/FCX code tool
    Problem 1: Error message "E" or E-10 /E-11
    Occasionally the R5/FCX will flash "E" when an attempt is made to read codes or reset the check engine light. "E" means the car is not responding to the tool: This happens when the data line (also called "diagnostic bus") in the car is "hung" or disabled. In order for the tool to access information from the car it must first "hand shake," like your computer modem does with your ISP. To properly handshake there must be a clear data line to communicate on. Imagine a household with multiple phones or modems all sharing the same phone line, well, the BMW is similar; it has multiple control units (transmission, ABS, traction control, etc...) If one of these units is tying up the communication line (like a teenage girl on the household phone) all other devices on the line are unable to communicate. This happens quite often, but try the following procedures in the order given to determine the nature of your problem.
    Things To Try: •1.) Insertion Depth, Check the insertion depth of the R5/fcx. If it is not fully inserted the unit will not work. See page 11 of the user manual.
    •2.) Reversing the power-up sequence, Plug in the R5/FCX in first, THEN turning on the ignition key. This is the opposite of the routine specified by the manual and the tool label. This procedure has proven very effective on some cars.
    •3.) Pin 19 Observe that pin 19 of your diagnostic connector is not recessed. A number of models had pin 19 improperly installed. BMW service bulletin 12 05 94
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!