Thread: I have problems to solve. Everyone help me.

My Cars
    M3

I have problems to solve. Everyone help me.

Hey everyone,

I currently own and daily drive a manual 2006 130i M Sport with 100k mile on it. Runs and drives great! I mostly commute so its a bit rough in the crawling traffic but outside of commuting the car is an absolute blast to drive and wickedly quick.

I recently read an article about the absolute dream an e39 540i is to own and drive. I started doing some research and the more I read, the more videos I watch the more I'm falling in love with the car. A car's exhaust note is particularly important to me and the 540i's V8 sounds like an exotic... My heart races when I hear it.

I've found an MY01 540i M Sport Automatic (we didn't get manual e39's in Australia sadly) with 84k miles. Is it worth it? Should I trade a newer, manual hatchback for an older, slower automatic sedan? It doesn't sound so convincing when put like that but I can genuinely only find extremely positive reviews and opinions about 540i ownership, including the mantra that the e39 was the "best BMW BMW ever made."

Some much needed head-straightening, opinions and guidance would be much appreciated,

Thanks!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Search this forum for issues with that engine. I’ve never owned an M5, but there have been numerous threads about the 540 engine being prone to leaks. I think there’s an issue with the timing chain stretching, also. Search should give you some insight into issues with that engine. The E39 chassis is a fantastic chassis, btw.

My Cars
    z3
    The M62 is pretty unreliable

Timing chain guides failing is a matter of when, not if, and requires tearing down the front of the engine to fix. $$$$

Water cooled alternator. Stupid design. And expensive $$$$

Not immune from issues like rod bearings either. $$$$. Ask me how I know...

Suspension is complicated and $$$$

If you can rebuild an engine yourself youd be fine to own one. If not I wouldnt. Youd go broke maintaining a car thats really not even that fast. Your car is probably as fast or faster and handles better.

The e39 is a great car but not the best BMW ever made. Im not even sure its the best 5 series ever made. Heck, the 540 isnt even thr best e39... The m5 is faster, handles better and is more reliable

My Cars
    bmw
    thanks for posting

Clean Master Facebook Lite Mathway
    Last edited by zoziano; 10-14-2018 at 05:57 PM.