Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Yoshi's new E46 330 build

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    1500-2k is on the cheap end if you know a guy. 3k+ is about the general going rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    My shop starts at 1800+ materials (so around $2200) and that is for the basic tandem legal 6 point. Anti Intrusions to make it pro-am legal are $400, and additional bars and gussets can be added individually (around $100/bar). Any prep work beyond just wire wheeling out the baseplate areas is at our hourly rate (dash removal, sound deadening, carpet, etc) which is 88/hr.
    god dang it that's not what i was hoping for.

IG: dimitriantoniou

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    oh no I'm rubbing on pure frame rather than those plastic boxy things. And yea, cages ain't cheap.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Seems that it would get pricey to tie the subframe mounts into the cage, but on an e46 I'd be hard pressed to have it done regardless...

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Also if anyone has input, I'm thinking of putting in my thick ass mishi triple pass rad from the LS swap. IE put in the rad and make it fit on the stock motor. But it's the upper radiator inlet is on the passenger's side. I'm thinking about getting a SS U bend (1.5" OD I think) and routing that way. The only issue is that the res has a secondary input that goes off the stock upper hose. Not sure if I can just plug it and be on my way or what. Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    Seems that it would get pricey to tie the subframe mounts into the cage, but on an e46 I'd be hard pressed to have it done regardless...
    *shrugs* it's a nice to have. But MAN it would be a pain. I did the weld in thingies and that should be more than fine. If it cracks, I'll deal with it then lol.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I have the weld on things and honestly had 0 cracks when they went on but my car really makes some noises from the back that scare me.

And the SLR poly bushings make TONS TONS TONS of noise, and I'm not really sure what to do about it, because they were super hard to get on and off. Also, the kit definitely makes some pings and stuff, which is one reason why I'm meaning to retorque everything again, just to be sure.
    Can't help with the Rad, sorry! More cooling seems like good idea, although my car stays pretty consistent with it's coolant temp.

My Cars
    none
    I owned an e46 once. previous owner was a real handy man.
    IMG_0140.jpgIMG_0144.jpg

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I DD on my SLR kit. No noises...

Also WOW WTF! That's... scary.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    [QUOTE=protomor;30051380]I DD on my SLR kit. No noises... /QUOTE]
    Most of the noise is 100% from the bushing and I need to just take it off, clean it, and relube it I guess. I'm a little nervous about taking it off and it not fitting the same ever again, I'm not sure if that's a valid point or not. No pinging? I can't imagine what it's from really... I'll be taking a look at it in a few hours when I get home.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I get squeaking out of the rear suspension but nothing from the front. I did lube the F out of the CABs.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by awp235 View Post
    It's also against FD and therefore most pro-am series rulebooks, they made Chelsea cut his out of the FD car

- - - Updated - - -

IDK, my SLR pops on both cars. I go through and check the tightness of everything before each event, so I know nothings loose, I just ignore it now.

- - - Updated - - -

and "box" was the wrong word, but there are raised sharp edges in the wheel well that were shredding my tires

Untitled by novablue454, on Flickr

I used an air hammer with a flat beating chisel to smooth them down flat

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Oh yeah. That's not it. On the wheel well two sections of flat metal intersect and gives a tiny lip. I'll take a pic later when I get time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Maybe I'l break out the air chisel and hit them with my best shot. I rub on those and also the frame to the rear of it. My stupid tires are too big, but they're brand new with no events on them... I guess if it's a huge issue during this event, I can limit the steering rack, but that's no fun!

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Here's a good pic

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Anyone have suggestions on keeping underhood temps down? I thought about doing hood spacers but that feels like it would let rain water in.

My Cars
    1999 328ic , 2002 325xi
    Rear mount radiator or maybe a Tesla drivetrain swap

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Funny guy Paul.

My Cars
    none
    I'm in the same boat, I'm thinking about venting my hood. Ive seen people use Mustang vents grafted in. Ideally id just put it just in front of the engine and behind the rad so water would drain to the ground and not the coil packs lol. if not that, some vents on the header side of the hood would probably help a lot. Ive seen people (fxd&wld) use like a 1in hole saw spaced apart and then a jig saw to connect those holes to make nice looking slotted vent. Ill post some pics if i get it done this week and I have a little temp probe I can try and get some ~data~ lol

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by e30 394 View Post
    I'm in the same boat, I'm thinking about venting my hood. Ive seen people use Mustang vents grafted in. Ideally id just put it just in front of the engine and behind the rad so water would drain to the ground and not the coil packs lol. if not that, some vents on the header side of the hood would probably help a lot. Ive seen people (fxd&wld) use like a 1in hole saw spaced apart and then a jig saw to connect those holes to make nice looking slotted vent. Ill post some pics if i get it done this week and I have a little temp probe I can try and get some ~data~ lol
    My buddy in Michigan drives an e46 like mine, and he just put a vent in his hood right where I want to, right behind the radiator basically. Looks good too, and I'm considering ordering one from wherever he got his. Or I'll just do it myself, but I want it to look good.
    There's always the option of taking the hood off,but I prefer not to do that.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    My chassis is mostly rust free... but when I stripped the car to get caged I found that the rear floor drain plugs had rusted. So I cut out way more than i had to and welded in some 18 gauge steel. Instead of doing a flush piece, i over lapped it on top, ran a full bead, then tacked the bottom in place. Gonna por15 after it gets back from getting a cage. Ain't pretty but I guarantee you its stronger than it was.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Here's some video

Got something like 30 laps in on one set of tires, then the expansion tank cracked. So that's nice. I had overheating issues all damn day too. Got towed to the cage builder. Now I need to find a way to get it home from there <_<

My Cars
    1995 325i
    You think doubling down on fans would solve your cooling issue? Think I'm going to make a junkyard run for a pusher fan this week. Will report back if I find something that fits well.
    Just picked up an e46 and I haven't slid the car yet but I know cooling will be an issue in 95-100* Florida weather.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I'm not sure the stock rad is up to the task. There obviously isn't direct air flow and the stock radiator is pretty thin. I want to go ahead and put my LS radiator in but the stock BMW cooling tank is so tightly integrated with the radiator that separating them seems like more work than just getting an upgraded radiator.

Also, anyone know a sunroof delete panel or way to patch it that isn't $250+? The roll cage requires the moonroof to be removed but then it's just open to the world.

My Cars
    1997 328i, 89 325ix
    You can remove the metal skin from the sunroof cartridge, and then maybe use some 3M panel bond to seal it in place? I would normally say weld it, but paying someone to do that might be more expensive than just buying the delete panel. Also, when you remove the seal on the sunroof, the gap is pretty large between the roof and the panel, so welding it might be difficult.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Mine is a glass moon roof. So I'd have to find metal to weld in. And yea the gap is too much to bridge manually and I don't think I could seal it cleanly. Probably warp the roof with the heat too.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I run my 330i pretty hard with the stock rad- I've never had the temp needle budgeon me. I know they have a "range" that the temp is going to stay solid in the middle, but I guess I've never gone over it. Maybe time for a flush and new fluid? I've got a metal impellor water pump, and an otherwise totally stock cooling system. Even coming off of a road course drift run all in second, manji'ing on redline, my coolant guage stays dead center. I'm sure I'm absolutely roasting my oil though, and I've been considering a cooler and an oil temp gauge.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast