Thread: Can CD Changer play MP3’s?

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport

Can CD Changer play MP3’s?

I have a 2003 and the BM53 radio with NAV. Can the changer play and read MP3’s burned to the CD or just traditional CD format?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 M550ix|Carbon Black Dinan Stage 1|2003 540i|Jet Black|M-Sport
    Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2001 530i|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li|2001 530i|2012 535xi|

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Welcome to the forum Joe.
    I remember looking into the MP3 thing years ago when I swapped my cassette for a CD player.
    IIRC you had to have a newer unit that possibly was in an X5. I'm sure some other will chime in to let you know.
    Why don't you stick a CD with MP3 files in yours and see if it works.

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Welcome to the forum Joe.
    I remember looking into the MP3 thing years ago when I swapped my cassette for a CD player.
    IIRC you had to have a newer unit that possibly was in an X5. I'm sure some other will chime in to let you know.
    Why don't you stick a CD with MP3 files in yours and see if it works.
    Thanks Jim. I did a bit of research after the post (probably should have done this before posting). It does not look like any of the equipment in the E39 ever supported it. I am picking up my E39 this weekend in NY and driving it back to Boston. I was hoping to have something to listen to. I have already ordered an have in hand parts to add AUX and Bluetooth.

I used to post here a long time ago under Joe-BMW. My account is still out there but I can't remember the password and the email on the account is dead so I can't reset it. The admins have been unresponsive so I set up a new account. I had an E39 (2001) a while ago and 7 other bimmers. I really loved my E39, so I searched high and low for the right car and finally found it. Looking forward to contributing here. I remember leaving about 10 years ago because the E65board got pretty hostile. Hopefully the E39 board is kind, gentle and respectful.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    We're not hostile but sometimes you need to have a thick skin. Some of the guys may jump on you depending on what you post but the next day they will be your friend. Most of us have been here and on Roadfly for years and will certainly help you out.

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    We're not hostile but sometimes you need to have a thick skin. Some of the guys may jump on you depending on what you post but the next day they will be your friend. Most of us have been here and on Roadfly for years and will certainly help you out.
    Oh, yes, I started on Roadfly when I got my E32. I went from there to here and then to Bimmerfest, which I like, but it doesn't get the traffic this place does.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Some of the later replacement radios are listed as having MP3 capability and aux capability but not the CD player and I'll be damned if I know how to do it. There's a list, somewhere here I think, that I ran across when mine was on the fritz but I'm not finding it on a quick search. The replacement one I got supposedly does have that capability, but I'm not sure how.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike WW View Post
    Some of the later replacement radios are listed as having MP3 capability and aux capability but not the CD player and I'll be damned if I know how to do it. There's a list, somewhere here I think, that I ran across when mine was on the fritz but I'm not finding it on a quick search. The replacement one I got supposedly does have that capability, but I'm not sure how.
    Thanks, yes, I have seen that list of radios and production dates in my search. The best case scenario is to first have the BM53 radio (for NAV cars) and I believe the CD53 Business CD for non NAV cars. From there, the later the production date of the BM53 radio the better in terms of AUX, SAT and MP3 interface. My car is a 2003 and the BM53 started to be installed somewhere in 2001 with a March production date of the car (I believe that's the date from memory). I really only care about AUX and that was the first thing added to the series of BM53 radio's. I am good to go for that. It's really popping the NAV screen out and connecting a $30 BMW AUX cable to a connector that is sitting on the harness already (blue harness). I don't understand why BMW did all this pre-work and just didn't add the AUX from the factory.
    Last edited by Joe///540i; 05-25-2018 at 06:24 AM.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe///540i View Post
    Thanks, yes, I have seen that list of radios and production dates in my search. The best case scenario is to first have the BM53 radio (for NAV cars) and I believe the CD53 Business CD for non NAV cars. From there, the later the production date of the BM53 radio the better in terms of AUX, SAT and MP3 interface. My car is a 2003 and the BM53 started to be installed somewhere in 2001 with a March production date of the car (I believe that's the date from memory). I really only care about AUX and that was the first thing added to the series of BM53 radio's. I am good to go for that. It's really popping the NAV screen out and connecting a $30 BMW AUX cable to a connector that is sitting on the harness already (blue harness). I don't understand why BMW did all this pre-work and just didn't add the AUX from the factory.
    Not anything you asked about but many of the CD burner apps for Win, Mac, and Linux machines are capable of burning MP3 files to an Audio CD format that old players will handle. I think iTunes might do it as well...

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Yes, but a select kind of them. I don't know the specific part number of the one I used to have in my car (purchased it on eBay then returned it), but take a look at this page:

https://store.bimmernav.com/blogs/in...n-instructions

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Hmmm, interesting. So behind the Nav on mine is a cassette deck, I'm guessing I remove that and then there is something I can connect an aux input to? I do have the latest or next to latest BM53 which supposedly has the capability.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia

My Cars
    E39 540i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike WW View Post
    Hmmm, interesting. So behind the Nav on mine is a cassette deck, I'm guessing I remove that and then there is something I can connect an aux input to? I do have the latest or next to latest BM53 which supposedly has the capability.
    You got it. Here you go:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI0bPOL9CI8&t=14s

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Thanks!
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia