Thread: Headlights

My Cars
    1999 e36 323is

Headlights

Hi I have a problem. One of my hids went out I looked at it and it was fine. Tested an old spare that works just a different color. Then I try the stock and still nothing nothing's wrong with the lights I didn't test them as seen no reason too but I check my fuses they seem good pass a circuit tester on it all light up anything else ???

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Do you mean the bulbs were fine? Maybe the Ballast is bad.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post

Probably this. Grab a set of D2S Morimotos XB as they are good upgrade to most of the legacy units IMO.

My Cars
    1999 e36 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machina View Post
    They were fine but even the stocks dont work with out the ballast

My Cars
    1999 e36 323is
    Is there a stock one for the right side
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphoricwonders View Post
    They were fine but even the stocks dont work with out the ballast

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Before you buy anything, take the good lamp and move it to the location that doesn't work, and put the bulb that doesn't work into the good side. If the fail follows the bulb, you have a bad bulb. Period. If the failure remains in the original location, then you have a problem with the HID ballast, or the car itself.

I'm confused with, "even the stocks do not work without the ballast." That cannot be true because the stock headlamps do not have a ballast, therefore they should not require a ballast to work.

You also stated that the fuse seems fine. That is an invalid position to take, the fuse is either known good or it is bad, there is no middle ground. Unless you know the fuse is good, it should be assumed to be bad, especially since you have a light that does not turn on. Fuses F11 & F12 go to the left and right Low Beams, respectively, and fuses F29 & f30 go to the high beams, left and right, respectively. All of the listed fuses are 7.5A.

You do not say if you have the Control Check Module (CCM) or not.

My Cars
    1999 e36 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Before you buy anything, take the good lamp and move it to the location that doesn't work, and put the bulb that doesn't work into the good side. If the fail follows the bulb, you have a bad bulb. Period. If the failure remains in the original location, then you have a problem with the HID ballast, or the car itself.

I'm confused with, "even the stocks do not work without the ballast." That cannot be true because the stock headlamps do not have a ballast, therefore they should not require a ballast to work.

You also stated that the fuse seems fine. That is an invalid position to take, the fuse is either known good or it is bad, there is no middle ground. Unless you know the fuse is good, it should be assumed to be bad, especially since you have a light that does not turn on. Fuses F11 & F12 go to the left and right Low Beams, respectively, and fuses F29 & f30 go to the high beams, left and right, respectively. All of the listed fuses are 7.5A.

You do not say if you have the Control Check Module (CCM) or not.
    Okay I will try that actually I didnt before. But yea no ballast for the stocks so I know th ballast is not really bad but that test should help and on the fuses they all work fine I'll do another check just incase with the information givin to me thank you and I'll get back to you on that

My Cars
    1999 e36 323is
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphoricwonders View Post
    Okay I will try that actually I didnt before. But yea no ballast for the stocks so I know th ballast is not really bad but that test should help and on the fuses they all work fine I'll do another check just incase with the information givin to me thank you and I'll get back to you on that and I do have a control modual its in german but the code is low beam deffective but they were working fine before so I just press check control and it sticks so I drive