Thread: Looking for some advice on first Bimmer

My Cars
    1994 325i

Looking for some advice on first Bimmer

Hello All,

I recently purchased a 1994 325i and I plan on picking it up this weekend. I would like some advice from you folks if you don’t mind, like things to look for or things to expect or even things to do. I don’t know much about the vehicle other then what the guy told me that I purchased it from and it seems that he doesn’t know much about cars.

So a little about the car, as I’ve said, it’s a 94 325i. It’s a white four door with a light gray leather interior and sunroof. I was told that the car had a V8 in it but after during a little Googling I found out that the motor is an in-line 6. The car is very clean (I’ll try to post pictures) and has 170,000 (give or take) miles on it. I was told that the muffler or exhaust has been recently replaced but has a slight rattle which could possibly be the heat shield. The one seat doesn’t recline. Also, the rear suspension will need some work soon and that the battery was dead. The guy that I bought it from was using it as a daily driver up to about 5 months ago when he purchased another vehicle. The car has been sitting since. I spoke to one of the mechanics that has done work in the car and he said that it’s a good car that was taken care of.

If your wondering why I would have purchased this car with suck limited knowledge about the history and not just throwing a battery in it to be sure that it runs, I get it. I purchased it from a family member of my boss. I’m very good mechanically, I’ve just never owned a BMW. But the main reason was the price. I purchased the car for $500.00.

https://imgur.com/gallery/2ljrmLM

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    Welcome to the $500 325i club! I hope yours is in better shape than mine is / was.

A couple things to start with: Check your cooling sstem! That is the major weakpoint of a lot of '90s BMWs. Hoses, radiator, water pump, all of it. Doesn't mean just go replacing everything, but check. This forum (and a few others like it) are a wealth of information at your fingertips. Get hold of a Bentley manual for the E36. In my opinion, it's the best one for our cars. Suspension wise, you'll probably need to replace your bushings front and rear. Possibly control arms as well, but you should be able to inspect those as you go over it.

I'd also check / read your plugs and run a compression test just to get an idea of how the motor is doing. Auto or Manual?

Things like the seats can be easy to repair, depending on symptoms present. If the functions other than recline are working, you've got power to the seat, which should narrow the list of things to check. If no power, then the list gets larger. Either way, these cars are fairly simple to work on, given the resources available.

-James

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Thanks for the info James.

The car is an Automatic.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    You're a northeast guy, so probably rust lurking in a $500 e36. Check strut towers, rockers and floorboards (poke a screwdriver around...the undercoating hides problems)...and determine how down and dirty you feel like getting in repairing it.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    Change every fluid and filter in it on receipt of the car. Auto owners do not tend to pay any attention whatsoever to the trans fluid as far as maintenance, and autos are not as reliable as the manual trans.

I changed out and upgraded every part of my cooling system. That would cost you more than you paid for the car though. At minimum I would swap out the Expansion tank for a new one, it is probably the number one failure point other than the water pump.

If the auto ever goes out, manual swap it.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Okay thank you.

Did you see the pictures? What are your thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay thank you. At a quick glance I didn’t see much rust but I definitely check the under carriage. Did you see the pictures? What are your thoughts?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Car looks quite straight and nice for $500...enjoy it. My thought would be to peruse the track section of this forum, then put a manual in and gut and cage it...but that's just me

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325is
    The car looks very good. The interior is in better than average shape, I always use a Bissell mini steam cleaner on all cars I pick up, it will make the carpet look like new. For hard to reach areas I use foaming carpet/upholstery cleaner and a toothbrush, but it is better to remove the front seats. For the leather, warm water and lexol leather cleaner with a sponge, towel dry, followed by lexol conditioner the following day.

Those DS1's if in straight shape are worth $500 or more.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    lol.....Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by JasonMHorn; 05-31-2018 at 05:25 PM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonMHorn View Post

What’s a DS1?
    OEM e36 m3 rims that you have.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325I
    great deal. between BOTH my 36s i bought im infor purchase $1000. love em. and yes, as stated before, the cooling systems suck. i have done the one on my wifes twice in 8 yrs and just did the one on mine. this is the kit i use. never had a problem with it. and shipping was super fast.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/E36-3-Ser...t-Stage-I.html

good luck with it. youll love it.

nice lookin rig. your shift knob though is backwards. it looks weird that way. but i like it!
    Last edited by datto62073; 05-29-2018 at 04:58 PM.
    2 Brilliant Red 1993 BMW 325i Sedans. identical except interior color
    1 1982 320i in cypress green.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonMHorn View Post
    Hello All,

I recently purchased a 1994 325i and I plan on picking it up this weekend. I would like some advice from you folks if you don’t mind,
    Always ask before buying, never ask after buying, you'll only end up with buyers remorse.
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    M3 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Always ask before buying, never ask after buying, you'll only end up with buyers remorse.
    Unless its for $500!

Congrats on on the car, buddy. Things I'd recommend

1. Use this site. Search this site. When I was a kid I spent HOURS on here everyday (different UN). This was in 2004-07 so the info has only gotten better.
    2. Buy a Bentley manual
    3. Keep an eye on the cooling system
    4. The auto transmissions will sometimes flake out. Not much you can do just an FYI
    5. Have fun with it!

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by datto62073 View Post
    great deal. between BOTH my 36s i bought im infor purchase $1000. love em. and yes, as stated before, the cooling systems suck. i have done the one on my wifes twice in 8 yrs and just did the one on mine. this is the kit i use. never had a problem with it. and shipping was super fast.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/E36-3-Ser...t-Stage-I.html

good luck with it. youll love it.

nice lookin rig. your shift knob though is backwards. it looks weird that way. but i like it!

Thanks! It’s like that for aerodynamics! It shaved .09 off of my 1/4 Mile Time. JK I actually just figured that out last night.
    The pull rod is broken. Planning on replacing this weekend.

And thanks for the information!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Not with this. It’s as clean as can be and it runs. I figured it was a win win for $500. 😉

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhis936 View Post
    Unless its for $500!

Congrats on on the car, buddy. Things I'd recommend

1. Use this site. Search this site. When I was a kid I spent HOURS on here everyday (different UN). This was in 2004-07 so the info has only gotten better.
    2. Buy a Bentley manual
    3. Keep an eye on the cooling system
    4. The auto transmissions will sometimes flake out. Not much you can do just an FYI
    5. Have fun with it!
    Thanks for the information!!