Thread: Clutch fork wont move

My Cars
    1993 BMW E36 325i

Clutch fork wont move

Hey guys,
    here's the story, couple months back the clutch pedal on my 1993 325i started to stick to the floor, after pumping it for a bit I could get it to regain pressure.

I replaced the slave and it sorta fixed the problem meaning it would occur less often an require less pumping to restore the pressure. Figured it was my master so I replaced the master and the blue hose.

As I was bleeding the system I noticed fluid leaking from the bell housing. Took out the slave and found it to have spit the plunger into the trans. I tried to fish it out with a magnet but it wasn't happening. Ended up taking out the whole trans to get the plunger out, decided to lube up the clutch fork and throwout bearing in the process. Put everything back together today and started to bleed the system only to find that the brand new slave I just bought had broken aswell, i started to investigate why by poking the clutch fork and noticed that it had no resistance, I could stick my fingers in and move it around up and down but no matter how hard I pushed it would not disengage the clutch. I'm out of ideas, could it be that I installed the clutch fork backward? it looked symmetrical to me so I thought it wouldn't matter. Could it be the clip that holds the fork in place may have become loose?

thank you for any advice in advance

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    I fear you're taking the trans off again, at least you'll get good at it.

It's certainly possible the clip failed, or even the plastic pin that the fork sits on broke (or it's just not seated properly on it). My clutch disintegrated at a track day, and I recall there being some movement in the fork when I replaced it, but there was definitely tension fore and aft. Getting the slave bolted in was a bit of a pain if the fork is positioned correctly and the piston is in the correct position on the fork.

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    The slave cylinder pushing the plunger out means its over extending.

Do you have a borescope? There are inspection holes in the trans that you can use to put a scope in there and see whats going on while someone else pushes down the clutch pedal.

When I replaced my clutch, I found that my pivot pin was completely worn and my clip had broken in half. Definitely replace both (get a brass pivot pin).

My Cars
    1993 BMW E36 325i
    hey guys, sorry for the late reply, my computer took a crap the day after I posted that and had to get a new one. It seems like you guys believe its either the clip or the pivot so I'll order those now and hopefully get this done soon. Thanks for the advice. I should have noticed something was wrong when the slave went on and off so easily, i thought i was just getting too good at it

My Cars
    1993 BMW E36 325i
    UPDATE: took out the trans again today(only took 2 hours) looking at the pivot pin it has some wear but i dont believe its enough to cause a problem and the spring seemed fine aswell. I turned to the pressure plate and found that no matter how hard i pushed, i could only slightly move one of the several little metal arms. I'm guessing the brake fluid that shot from the slave must have gotten onto the pressure plate and seized it up and if that happened it probably contaminated the clutch and might as well replace the flywheel. 20180603_134451.jpg20180603_134745.jpg20180603_134826.jpg20180603_135713.jpg

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Make sure you install the throw out bearing the correct way. There's one way it sits and then rotated 90 degrees it sits too far in. Leaving slop, and the slave over extending. There's also the chance of the tob hanging up on the guid tube. The fork is reversable. Brake fluid won't hurt the pressure plate, although it will glaze your flywheel if it got that deep, if uoubhavent driven it with the brake fluid on it, just clean it with some solvents that don't leave anything behind.

My Cars
    1993 BMW E36 325i
    I didn't know about the throw out sitting in different positions, i thought its only position was as i showed in the picture where the protruding plate hits the clutch fork. Will investigate this.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Yea. The pic didn't load for me before. It sitting correctly in the pic. However that pivot pin is a nub and completely broken or worn. Also, I once had a friend who installed 3 different slaves on a e36 of mine. The 4 th time I did it myself to find he was missing the fork completely with the slave. So every time he bleed the clutch, the slave would blow out. I believe it's similar in both ways. And also you shouldn't be able to engage the pressure plate with your finger. It does take your whole leg to depress the clutch pedal after all.