RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Has anyone tried "Motorkote" (Or other additives) in their bimmer?

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i

Question Has anyone tried "Motorkote" (Or other additives) in their bimmer?

New to the forums, And I haven't been able to find many threads about this, I was wondering if anyone has tried adding motorkote or any other friction reducing additives to their car. Particularly for the E90 model of BMWs. (My car only has ~70k miles so I don't think it needs any high mileage additives.)
    I've seen a lot of good reviews about it that you can find here -

So. As you can see these were quite good results, But my concern with it is -
    A) How does it do when the car has been sitting for a long period of time. (I work in the summer & won't be driving my car as I will be out of state)
    &
    B) Will it react in a weird way with the Aluminum / Magnesium Alloy Block that the N52 motors are made of.

I've heard some horror stories about motorkote and other friction additives containing a slight amount of chlorine, which regardless if it's true or not, has not been denied by motorkote themselves, or if it has, I can't find it. I have motorkote in hand & I'm currently testing it a couple small one cylinder engines for long term use, & to see if there is any corrosion, especially on engines that might sit a while. If I get no legit answers I'll try to post my results at some point because I doubt I'm the only one thinking about this.

Also for people looking into buying motorkote, you can find it here - http://motorkote.com/products/multi-...yper-lubricant
    (Yes it's decently expensive considering how little 32oz is, but if it makes your engine last longer it could be worth every penny.)

(PLEASE DONT COMMENT IF YOUR JUST GOING TO BASH MOTORKOTE IF YOU HAVEN'T TRIED IT YOURSELF)
    Last edited by visionary1; 05-23-2018 at 08:57 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Personally I don't ever use any additives in my oil, I don't see any need for them. If you change your oil every 5k, there is no need. If you had a smoking 745 let's say them I would run 10w60 oil. I never like the thought pouring those kind of things in my engines.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    I agree for the most part, But it would still be interesting to know if this really does help extend engine life...I wish e90s had some sort of of aftermarket oil filter bypass, Those things make your engine last forever, sadly they're usually only for diesels.

My Cars
    2008 328xi Sportwagon
    If you're running a good synthetic oil, IMO and IME you don't want to screw up the oil chemistry with additives. Use the oil you are supposed to, change more often than BMW recommends, and you're fine.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Clean oil and good oil pressure make engines last. As far as sitting a lot some folks will install a pre oiler on there cars to pump up the oil pressure before starts. The only other thing you could do is remove the spark plugs, disable the fuel pump and turn the engine over till you had oil pressure. But the coating would have to stay on say the crank and rod bearings or journals. How is that really going to happen on a engine. The bearing material in the rod and mains is made to provide brief support to the spinning shaft, while the oil pressure is being build up. The journals ride on the very thin of oil film that is provided by the oil pressure. Unless you could apply a coating to the product while the engine is apart, like teflon on piston skirts, I don't how else it would be done
    Last edited by jclausen; 06-02-2018 at 02:47 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    "Please don't comment if your (sic) just going to bash Motorkote if you haven't tried it yourself"???

Seems to me that you're advertising. And, you're advertising snake oil.

If it worked, it would be on every manufacturer's product list.

Just put fresh, quality, synthetic oil in the engine every 6-7000 miles, with a new OEM filter.

The snake oil forum is over there>>>>>>>>>>>>

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Lol at disguised ad
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    It’s good to think about this stuff every now and then. Someone in the FI Forum who I trust 100% and who is working with a tuner I trust 100% reported no knock at 26psi boost (GT4094R on 3.0L built S52 crank 84.5 mm piston motor with 9.0:1 CR) with Torco accelerator, an additive claiming to make pump gas like race gas. Sometimes these things work.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    "Pump gas to race gas" is a simple equation. You mix in the correct percentage of 114 octane toluene, say, with your 93 octane pump gas, and you get ~104, at about 50 /50. (Yes, there are other important additives for various qualities, but the science is highly documented.

There's no mystery; every petroleum engineer in the world's working on this stuff, because they're keeping the internal combustion engine relevant, as long as they can.

BMW, Mercedes, VW, Ford, GM, Shell, Exxon, Elf, LiquiMoly.....they're all working on bettering the oil and fuels we use. The snake-oil guy with PTFE in the liquid didn't make something new: Slick 50 did this years ago, then.....who was the one Carroll Shelby Endorsed? Z-Max or something?

Wonder why BMW never asked for it in their engines? Nor did the Ferrari F-1 team? Hmmmmm.

No, sorry, I'm calling B.S..

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Have any of you looked at the website, the videos, even the material data sheet?
    They can't even spell "Composition". No boiling point tested. Flash point is "somewhere above 200 degrees Fahrenheit!" WTF over?

"Testing not done on many aspects. It is recommended that you do your own testing" UNQUOTE.

Are you serious ????

Then the video we are linked to: Some jerk in his garage, with a home built, belt driven "TEST" MacGyver thing?

And then visit the "WEBSITE", and watch the video of an old hippie saying "No matter what you use it for, yer good to go....Lemme tell ya, it's got so many uses......."

Yeah, go lube up the pig, sweetie, here comes another customer.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    This is what we call in the sale world, testing the waters. Go out and see if or how you can find potential customers for your product, then advertise. Your ROI or return on investment is important as there is where you will keep going back to get more customers.

So I don't use any kind of additives, as most really do not work, but it seems the layman love this stuff.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    I'm not advertising at all, I just saw a video about it, & was curious if it has any legitimate claims. I just changed my oil literally yesterday with 6.5 quarts of fresh mobil 1 so i'm not worried about it. I'm not affiliated with motorkote at all, & if I was, bimmerforum would be the LAST place I'd go to advertise. I was just wondering if anyone has tested this stuff in their own e90 as I wasn't sure how it would react with the aluminum//magnesium alloy block. The reason I said don't bash if you haven't tried is because I've seen a lot of people comment that it has chlorine, or is snake oil without testing it themselves, as to me it seems that people who have actually used it, say it's really really good, So it's a bit hard to decipher who is telling the truth.
    Last edited by visionary1; 06-03-2018 at 02:37 PM.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    2007 BMW 328i Sedan (E90)
    L6-3.0L (N52K)
    Capacities
    Engine Oil Capacity

with filter change .................... 6.5 liters

6.5 liters = 6.87 quarts.

I don't test oil, personally. I don't own one of those nifty belt-driven professional oil testing machines. IF I wanted some professional oil-testing results, I'd ask Blackstone Labs to do an analysis. Still, for a product made by a company that can't spell, can't fill out a Material Data Sheet, can't produce any genuine scientific testing results, and relies on a paid ad on "Girl's Garage" to vouch for them, why bother?

This is, obviously and blatantly, a half-baked plan for someone with no experience in petroleum product engineering to peddle a piss-poor product to people who aren't smart enough to see the complete lack of expertise, evidence, and education.

I'll buy my oil products from companies that actually have the capabilities to produce, test, and create something that works.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    In a previous life, long ago and far from Maui, I was an Oil Test Engine Operator at Edwin Cooper, Inc. a subsidiary of Ethyl Corp. The lab I worked at was one of the two SAE accredited test labs in the US. All engine oils and gear lubes that an oil manufacturer hoped to sell had to run and pass the battery of intense tests given under very stringent procedures.

If I took away anything from my time at Cooper, it was that the various petroleum products which passed those tests did not need help from something you pick up at NAPA or Autozone. If anything, those additives could conflict with the make-up of the oil and have detrimental effect.

Save your money, use an approved oil and change it 'often'.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    That's what I'm doing. Judging by the fact that motorkote shows no signs of being even from the 21st century (They don't have any official social media pages) & they still haven't come out and confirmed or denied the chlorine allegations, I think I'm going to avoid products like this.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    A friend once had grand plans to make an assemblage of all the various snake oil products claiming to do this and that*. He figured his car would actually MAKE gasoline if all the claims were compounded. Likewise using various oil additives his engine would not only last forever but not even need any oil or coolant anymore. Sadly there are many firm believers in this crap and it persists. What was it P.T. Barnum said?
    I've owned several old BMWs that went 300k plus miles using conventional oil, not even synthetics. Today's engines and oils have NO need for hoo-ha additives.
    Like said before, clean oil is all you need.

* end game being to sue them all.
    Last edited by ross1; 06-06-2018 at 09:58 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328i
    Hahaha for sure for sure. I think I'm going to stick to good old regular (synthetic) oil, and just try to take care of my car.

My Cars
    1996 318i sedan
    I can remember using something called "Motor-Up" or something in an ATV. I phone their so-called advice line, and was told, having given them year, make and model of the vehicle, that "for sure - it'll be great - no problems".

Of course, while it actually still ran, it didn't sound a whole lot better, and it lost all forward and reverse drive.

So I had to srip it, and replace all the clutch linings, being a wet clutch, which they were told when I rang them to be sure that this exact problem wouldn't arise.

The stuff wasn't cheap, and it sure as hell cost me a fortune in the end.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

I've only ever found one additive that worked, and I used it in desperation to stop my Camry losing water so I could get home from up north. And it NEVER lost water again.

If I can find the bottle in my shed, I'll post the name of the stuff - It was some metallic purple looking stuff, and cost me about 8 bucks.
    Thanks all.
    Andy

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Please don't post the name. There is no additive more evil than a stop leak . They are great products for stopping up the entire cooling system. Or, you can just pour in three pounds of sand, plus a gallon of epoxy.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412