Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Track cars - What bushings do you run?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I have spherical everywhere except:

FLCA at chassis - Hard Race eyeballs (think Treehouse, but blue instead of green).
    Front sway bar to chassis mount - whatever poly GC sends with the bar
    Diff mounts are 75D AKG in all 3
    Rear subframe is Turner solid aluminum
    Motor and trans mounts are Vorshlag red and orange poly (respectively)

Until I switched from Poweflex blacks to the Turner aluminum rear subframe mounts, everything was reasonable from a NVH perspective (daily driver/autocross car on 800fr/900rr springs). The change to solid aluminum raised the diff noise NVH SIGNIFICANTLY to the point that I thought the AKG stuff had been masking some inherent diff problem. I've now realized that this is not the case and that the aluminum subframe mounts just transmit a whole lot more noise into the chassis.
    Last edited by jakermac; 06-08-2018 at 11:06 AM.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I'm all over the place on bushings.

Old setup:
    AKG black (95A) motor/trans mounts
    Treehouse eyeballs
    AKG 95A subframe
    AKG 75D diff
    Bimmerworld RTAB bearing
    GC spherical RSMs and camber plates and sways and tigers and bears

Now, modify the above with:
    Bimmerworld "Group N" rubber mounts (AKGs failed after ~7 years)
    750i transmission mounts (allegedly stiffer OE rubber? sure)
    Stock FCABs, needed something quick
    Stock diff bushings in diff ears, AKG 75D in diff nose-- swapped diff and was too lazy to deal with bushings
    GC poly RSMs instead of Spherical-- sphericals developed play within a couple years, were rebuilt, but are on the shelf.

Honestly I don't notice much difference except a reduction in NVH and a bit muted steering feel.

One thing I should note about the AKG poly subframe mounts-- I am not happy with these. They do not have a metal insert tube to compress against, so they will just compress and compress and compress. Getting them to hold torque is not easy. My Bimmerworld RTABs are fine, I have a replacement set of bearings to go in, proactively, whenever I yank out the AKG subframe mounts.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Condor solid bushings are the best thing I ever did for my Z3. I ran poweflex for years, but I could feel the rear subframe and front control arms moving around. Replaced every thing with condor. Turned my machete into a scalpel. I have since done the same thing with my 128i. Condor everything. DO NOT forget these...https://www.condorspeedshop.com/coll...nt=28913539905

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    FCAB: AKG 75D
    RTAB: OEM with limiters
    Subframe: Revshift 95A
    Diff: Revshift 95A (not recommended, see my thread on it)

I don't think it's daily-able. Too much gear whine with this setup to do everyday... unless you have short trips.

My Cars
    1999 e36 M3
    I'd like to switch to spherical RTAB's. Bimmerworld sells the Ground Control spherical RTAB and Turner has their own. I've had very good service from both these vendors. Is there anything functionally noteworthy that differentiates one of these two RTAB's from the other?

My Cars
    04 330xi, 98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by fbirch View Post
    I'd like to switch to spherical RTAB's. Bimmerworld sells the Ground Control spherical RTAB and Turner has their own. I've had very good service from both these vendors. Is there anything functionally noteworthy that differentiates one of these two RTAB's from the other?
    I like the ball-joint based designs from BW or Syncro Design Works. My car uses the BW ones specifically. Less suceptible to intrusion of grime and salt and dust and are generally quieter than unprotected sphericals.
    [2004 330xi/6] Orient/Natural :: 117-142k :: ZSP :: ZPP :: ZCW
    [1998 M3/4/5] Cosmos/Black :: 113-125k :: TCKline D/A (500/600) :: GC Plates :: RD Sways :: GC Rear Arms :: ZHP Rack :: 3.64 Diffsonline :: PF FCAB :: BW RTAB :: AKG Subframe :: TMS Pulleys :: AA & Borla :: XBrace :: TRM C2s :: BW lines :: DTC60 :: Safety Equipment

Past:
    [1995 M3] Avus/Dove :: 141-242k :: S52 OBDI :: M50 manifold :: 3.5 HFM :: Turner Chip :: XBrace :: SS Lines :: Turner RTABS :: Vogtland CS :: Bilstein Sport :: Z3 rack
    [1999 M3] Cosmos/Black :: 65-87k :: TCKline S/A (400/500) :: Turner plates :: UUC Front Sway :: PF RTABs :: AA Intake :: Borla :: XBrace :: TRM C2s :: CL RC6E :: Safety Equipment
    [1993 325is] Brilliant/Black :: 135-139k :: Bilstein sports :: Eibach sways and springs :: Dinan camber plates and chip :: Borla :: LSD

[1983 320i] Safari/Brownish :: 219-242k :: homebrew CAI :: some rust :: multicolor body panels

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12