Thread: 1985 7451 Interior Overhaul

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

1985 7451 Interior Overhaul

What originally was a search for an odor that didn't seem right, turned into a complete interior pull out, clean up, and upgrades. That includes pressure washing all carpet pieces and deodorizing, r&r sound and heat insulation, water leak detection and seal replacements, audio upgrade, a chance to check all of the window operations, wrap the wood trim, install gauge cluster, clean and renew buffalo leather, replace neutral safety switch, and the list goes on...

I have pieces of this in some other posts but since it got extensive and involves many things, I decided to put them all in one, ongoing post for the interior like DevininAz has done for his entire project right now is whether to bite the bullet and paint it. Knowing me I will, but since this is a car I actually use, I'm also contemplating a color change since black is a rough color for several reasons; the heat here in Louisiana, the constant upkeep of looking dirty, and it's not really one of my favorites anyway.

So to begin, It started with the interior like this
    IMG_0987.jpgIMG_0965.jpgIMG_0982.jpgIMG_0984.jpg

Not bad, the previous owner Timgal123 had given it some attention by cleaning it up after sitting for 10 years, getting some oil into the leather, and besides the rear driver side window, everything worked. But it had this funny odor I could not place as old leather but didn't smell as mildew or necessarily moldy. The leather was OK but had a ways to go. It was still pretty hard in places and seemed to be dirty at a deeper level. The carpet also had a light oily feel to it but the condition of the pile seemed pretty good and the color was too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    I started to really clean up everything to see about that odor. I started with really cleaning up the leather and was intending to do the same for the carpets to see if that would do it. When I started on the leather the lexol cleaner I have was not getting where I thought I needed to get. I could lightly rub a fingernail over it and scrape off a layer of an oily dirt like layer. I decided to lightly hit it with a slightly abrasive pad and that got the process moving. It was going to be a lot of work so I took the seats out to get them inside on a table that was way more comfortable to work.

3Bs0HEDiQsit5bEPRAfNsg.jpg3TQ37sJnQDudEXhOucoGWA.jpgIeUiXZhqQKqjw3NoENU+%A.jpg

You can see the difference between the cleaned areas and the others. The whole car is leather so this was going to be a lot of scrubbing and oiling. Since I had the seats out, the carpet wasn't a big leap and out it came. I put it up on the fence and power washed it. It definitely had the odor I was after and was past due a good cleaning anyway. Before and after pictures don't show much difference in the clean aspect or how much better it felt.

IACbt8VeRHe3o+ezKyu+AQ.jpg

After the wash the odor was still there but was a bit less. I hit it with a Odoban from Home Depot as a first try and let it hang in the sun for a few days. That has done the trick for the carpet. I also applied the same product to the insides of the seats, so between that and the leather cleaning I am not getting any foul odors from those pieces.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    Since I had to take out the center console for the carpet I said what the heck and took out the rest of the leather pieces and a few trim pieces.

0laAsmhQTxCnxF24gM%D+A.jpgSS48vBGuR+OKACuPLDWrkw.jpgOuJD+llgQjepAHEVo4BAgw.jpggTwuv303SOeLGCNyBk2mBw.jpg

Discovered the back seat had no screws attaching it and was just sitting there. Also found out that a critter had made a home for itself at some point.

9WCrLF9xR8OU3Al0rxYh5g.jpg

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    When I took out the carpet the odor was strong at that point. I also noticed surface corrosion on every metal surface, so that could only mean one thing; water. I briefly thought about a flooded car but it wasn't that kind of odor. As someone that went through Katrina, lost 2 cars and saw thousands of others, I know in a split second what that smells and looks like. I guarantee you so does Eric. Besides, there was no other evidence of a flood. This was a long standing leak. Time to get out the hose. Everything is out of the car so this should be easy to find.

I recently spent several hours changing my tail lights to the euro lights and made sure there was no visible light around the seals. Like an idiot, I didn't test them before or afterward because by the time I finished I was pretty whipped. So when I did run the hose I may as well have had the lights on the ground because they both leaked more than a little.

BBGaxyhaTmawC3BEZgEWFQ.jpg
    You can see the water on the left. Of course, the channel leads right into the back seat area. Well, that was one source. Another was the trunk gasket. fortunately, I had already ordered one of those since the one on the car was painted over and in bad shape. When I took it off I found this as well.

XTrX1%SKTyeXaC5lVxsSEQ.jpg

Now we need a little metal work.

BOGzgNzISbKCN6bwmLFudQ.jpgLzRFmoR1R2KjPcGtbZnrrw.jpg
    Trunk gasket leak
    Last edited by espoe; 05-22-2018 at 01:41 PM.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    In the front, I didn't realize it but I had closed the hood but hadn't pushed the release handle inside the car to pull it entirely closed. This let water get past the gasket, also painted over and a new one on the way, and it leaked heavily from at least 2 places I could identify so far, the a/c evaporator hose penetrations in the firewall

fullsizeoutput_124c.jpg

and on the fusebox side

fullsizeoutput_124e.jpg
    The white area between the taped harness and the coiled harness is the inside of the car. I need to get these two sorted for sure. I also saw that the rear passenger door seal was leaking. I didn't notice any leaks around the windshields or from the sunroof drains. I will fix the ones I see and then recheck.

Since I have to take the tail lights out, get that trunk rust fixed, have all the interior out making it easy to get to the door jambs, gaskets and seals removed, I am thinking this is the time to paint it. Man what a rabbit hole.
    Last edited by espoe; 05-22-2018 at 01:55 PM.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    I had been warned by the PO that the wiring was a mess under the dash and for the audio. He wasn't kidding

l4vLZ%5DTMqdAKwVdjFYkg.jpgi2VP4LDuTc+KHM2F0ZdYyg.jpgLvhGO7HaQhyP1uhpTnTcZw.jpgiLG53JiKRp+K%HuTQrgEsA.jpgiLG53JiKRp+K%HuTQrgEsA.jpg

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

Welp, with junk wiring it is easy to spot at least. I pull a bit at a time and make sure everything still works. I have an interior out of an 05/85, I can shoot a few pics if you need for reference.

And yes, flood vehicles smell bad bad. This happened to my F150, I got it dry but it smells musty and moldy. I can post pics if anyone needs to see what a flood vehicle looks like inside.
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    ... I think the waterline on your fence would make a better image! would leave nothing to the imagination.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

I think you saw it in the background...of your new 11/84 car
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    E21/early e23/e34
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    I think you saw it in the background...of your new 11/84 car
    lol...

My Cars
    85 745
    Looking good! That's a lot of work, but it will be well worth it.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 735i
    On post #5, that white opening you mention is a gasket that the hood cable goes through. Last I knew they were still available. Buy an extra one when you order. My 7 was missing it as well, and water was coming in there as well as around the A/C box. Have you already, or do you plan to pull the A/C box? the main A/C box gasket is NLA, so try to carefully remove it or use some gasket material from the local hardware store when replacing. I had to use this, and mine does not leak.

My Cars
    84 733, 90 535i
    Nice,
    Last edited by Furreals; 06-08-2018 at 09:44 PM.

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI

1985 7451 Interior Overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by cfisher535is View Post
    On post #5, that white opening you mention is a gasket that the hood cable goes through. Last I knew they were still available. Buy an extra one when you order. My 7 was missing it as well, and water was coming in there as well as around the A/C box. Have you already, or do you plan to pull the A/C box? the main A/C box gasket is NLA, so try to carefully remove it or use some gasket material from the local hardware store when replacing. I had to use this, and mine does not leak.
    Thanks for the tip on the opening. i ordered the part today. I also ordered the grommets that secure the door lock “arms” to keep them from rattling. All 4 doors were missing them and I am chasing down rattle while I am doing all of this.

For the A/C lines I have looked everywhere but can’t seem to find a grommet that they would pass through. What type of sealant would you all suggest to close that up. I have seen that black “goo” around A/C pipes but not even sure what they call it.

We had a heavy rain the other day and the only thing that leaked were the taillights so I’ll have to really sort that out. I thought I had done that already. The largest of the gasket seem to be fine, Those ones around the lens are the ones I’ll try first. Replacements are $25.00 each from BMW. Has anybody ever sourced those. It’s just a strip of rubber tube type gasket material, just not sure the size.

I wasn’t planning on taking out the a/c box but it’s not out of the question. I’ll take a look at the coils and see how funky they are. If that turns out to be an issue then I’ll pull the box and upgrade the coils.

Have to say it’s been working well, but I haven’t tried it since it’s in the 90’s now in Temp and Humidity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    1985 BMW 745i, & 635CSI
    A lot of the floor insulation was flaking up so I’m removing the floor insulation up to the point it rolls up the sides. Don’t attempt without a heat gun. I happened to see devininaz’s post and saw his guy using one. With that it comes right up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Quote Originally Posted by espoe View Post
    A lot of the floor insulation was flaking up so I’m removing the floor insulation up to the point it rolls up the sides. Don’t attempt without a heat gun. I happened to see devininaz’s post and saw his guy using one. With that it comes right up.
    We used dry ice to remove the floor insulation from an E36. The car owner had access to the frozen carbon dioxide. Throw it in, let it get the stuff really cold and hit it with a mallet and it shatters and chips off easily. But it is everywhere and for a race car, it all has to go.