RM European Auto Parts

Thread: ZF 6hp19 transmission rough gear changes creep in weeks after adaptations reset

My Cars
    2005 525i

ZF 6hp19 transmission rough gear changes creep in weeks after adaptations reset

I rebuilt the mechatronics on my zf tranny (e60) and new fluid etc and reset adaptations, drove greatfor about 400km then eventually I notice sometimes it doesnt want to change gear or at certain speeds it jumps between say 3rd and 4th and back to 3rd then 4th again, manual shifts fine. I reset adaptations again and it works fine for a few hundred more k's then I notice more shifting issue, rough shift, higher revs before shifting up and sometimes a miss shift, like its stuck in N for half a sec. reset adaptations and it works ok then eventually comes back.

Anyone have any idea why these shifting problems keep coming back? I;m driving normal after each reset. the fact it works great after reset makes me think its software issue.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    A slowly failing transmission will do that too
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Why did you "rebuild the mechatronics", and what did that entail?

Do you have any engine or transmission codes?

Certainly, you should start with making sure that the engine and trans have the latest software available, because there's a (somewhat remote) possibility this might help. I thought there was a Service Bulletin on this, but I cannot find it at the moment.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2005 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Why did you "rebuild the mechatronics", and what did that entail?

Do you have any engine or transmission codes?

I was getting transmission failure and major slippage, seemed like the mechatronic seal adaptor may have been the cause however I figured while I'm at it I may as well put in new solenoids, seals and zip kit.
    I dont get any codes and have I check occasionally using ista and inpa.

I should calrify where I said "I notice sometimes it doesnt want to change gear" it does change gear and doesnt get stuck but sometime revs higher and longer than it should before changing up.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It's important to read the adaptations before any transmission work any clutch numbers in excess of -350 or +350 are the limits and if I had those numbers at the shop I would not do anything with the trans except recommend a rebuilt one

My Cars
    2005 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    It's important to read the adaptations before any transmission work any clutch numbers in excess of -350 or +350 are the limits and if I had those numbers at the shop I would not do anything with the trans except recommend a rebuilt one
    Hmm, this never come up in any of my research prior to doing the job and I never thought to check adaptation figures,, would a check of those now still reveal clutch or other gearbox concerns? I drove it today for about 40 mins and didnt have any noticable issues (had not reset adaptations again yet) only thing I think I felt was a slight surge or slippage occasionally whilst cruising at 110kph.

My Cars
    So you had transmission failure, and major slippage? And you thought replacing a couple seals and solenoids would do the trick?

Sounds like you didn't fix anything except lighten your wallet. If the trans is slipping, then you likely have worn clutches, worn/leaking seals, pistons, etc.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2005 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    So you had transmission failure, and major slippage? And you thought replacing a couple seals and solenoids would do the trick?.
    Yes as all evidence indicated the valve body and the seal between it and the gearbox was the likely culprit based on the symptoms it was producing plus the trans had 150,000 k's on it and original fluid so these components would need replacing regardless. And yes it did do the trick I havent had any trans failure since just the occasional not so flash shifting and that only creeps in after a few hundred k's. If there were worn clutches then wouldnt this issue be constant and not resolved by an adaptation reset?also what pistons are you referring to?

My Cars
    2005 525i
    The issue seems to be most prominent in third gear, for the most part the car runs fine but occasionally third revs higher for longer 3000-3500 rpms when cruising when it feels like it should have changed to 4th a lot sooner.