Thread: a/c serpentine belt and Water pump mystery

My Cars
    02 525i Wagon, 99 740

a/c serpentine belt and Water pump mystery

I was driving this weekend on a long trip (4 hours) and my ac working fine. In fact, my son and wife were complaining it was too cold. We stopped for gas and when we got back in the car, the a/c was not working -- at all. I drove for a little while and didn't understand how it could work perfectly and then suddenly stop. I stopped in a small town and decided to check some fuses to see if maybe a fuse was bad. I couldn't find any problems. I bought a can of 134 with the gauge thinking maybe it was low. When I put the gauge on it red very high. BUt, I noticed the a/c compressor was not cycling. I had to get to my destination for a party so I thought I would check it out later. The next day when I started it up, I noticed some noise. I popped the hood and noticed the serpentine belt was about half way off the fan pulley. The edge of the fan blade was starting to hit. At first I thought it was the fan clutch. But, it was tight without any wiggle. Finally, I noticed that it looked like the water pump shaft was bent. It was like it was angled over a little bit and that was why it was causing the belt to slip and why the fan was hitting. So, I assume the water pump is bad. I'm guessing these have a bearing and the bearing was failing. So, I proceeded to remove the water pump (wow what a job!). Here's the mystery. Assuming the water pump is/was failing, why was that affecting the a/c? The a/c has a separate accessory belt, right? I ended up having to order the water pump and leave my car there at family's house and rent a car.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    I wouldn't expect the water pump to kill your A/C unless the slipped belt affected the A/C belt somehow.

The reason your refill can read so high is because the AC compressor was not turning. This lets the high and low side equalize and read a much higher pressure than what that gauge would say for the low side if the compressor was on.

What you need to figure out is why the compressor is not turning on. That's either an electrical thing (clutch not getting power i.e. sensor reading wrong or fuse or wiring) or a mechanical thing (compressor clutch slipping or system low on charge causing the sensor to keep the clutch disengaged).

First check the easy stuff. Is the AC belt tight? Does the compressor clutch turn by hand? Was the car running hot because of the water pump? Then maybe read some codes in case it is low system pressure or something electrical.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    If it was working fine on the road and died while parked the pressure went high and cut the compressor out. Unless the fan clutch is new replace it. You are already in there and they are less than $100. If it is working correctly it should sound like a turbine when you start the car and the quiet down. That being said if your fan clutch was not working the electric pusher fan should have been running to pick up the slack. If it was hot it may not be able to keep up while parked.

On another note if the engine gets hot say from the water pump failing the EMC will shut the a/c off. It does not have to be overheating just above the normal temperature. The EMC shuts off the A/C not to reduce the load on the engine but to remove the heat from the condenser going into the radiator.
    01' 750il Chromeline
    95 M3 LS swapped
    07 M5 Manual
    06' M5, Spartan wheels and a 507hp V10
    00' 740il Dinan, CAI, Romulus exhaust, Stage 5 engine and transmission tune, 750 brakes, camber plates, strut tower brace. Sold
    00' 323i wagon for daughter
    03' 525i wagon for the wife, sold
    98' 740i for the daughter, wrecked
    92' 525i with over 200k, wrecked
    02' R1200 CLC, hit by a bus and broken in half. That one made the news!
    It's like herpes there is no cure but if treated properly you can live with it for the rest of your life

My Cars
    02 525i Wagon, 99 740
    Turns out the bearing on the water pump went bad. it was twisting at an angle. The a/c was a blown fuse and it was a little low on freon. BUT, now I have a SES light. The code is for the AIR pipe. I'm guessing something wasn't quite hooked up tight enough. AND I have a buzzing when the radio is on.