Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • The racing will be more good

3 37.50%
  • The racing will not be more good

1 12.50%
  • It's no e30/S10 and needs more LTWs/clears

4 50.00%

Thread: Opinions on the 2019 F1 regulation changes?

My Cars
    Alpha Romero

Opinions on the 2019 F1 regulation changes?

I've read a couple articles mentioning the 2019 changes to F1, and it sounds like we're going to be seeing cars lapping significantly slower next year.

Less complex front wings and brake ducts + larger rear wings will slow the cars approximately 1.5 seconds per lap according to the FIA.

Other small changes include biometric gloves worn by the drivers to more quickly gather info on driver condition after a crash (good), changing rules to reduce the advantage of having a lighter driver by moving the location of the ballast (good), more fuel (good), and some other rules as well.

Seems like making cars slower at this level of racing is pretty counter-intuitive, not exactly pushing the envelope when you simplify and slow cars down.
    Unless the racing is significantly better to watch in 2019 I can't imagine this being a very good move and has much potential to backfire.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Stupid fast cars are nice and all but from an entertainment standpoint it can be boring when cars cannot pass at all. It's frustrating for me to watch the car behind have more pace because of fresher tires and what not and they are following the car in front and they are mid corner and you can just see the understeer start to happen and the car slides to outside of the turn because the aero isn't working cause of the dirty air.

I am all for more power and less aero dynamics. It will make the cars harder to drive (read more skill) and will put more emphasis on the drivers and less on the wind tunnel.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I'm fine if they're slower, but they really do sound like crap compared to the glory days. I never got to experience the V10's in person, but I saw the V8's and it was amazing. Now... meh, it's probably like watching the average DE as far as sound quality goes.

2.8-3L V10's with a bump up in the hybrid system they're using would be fine, restrict aero to get the speed to where they like it, it'll probably enable more passing, their fuel consumption will probably only go up a small amount, and everything about the racing/show will improve.

Does anyone really give a crap if the cars are lapping with a 50% thermal efficiency vs. a 45% thermal efficiency? Really - I could care less, and I daily drive on EV power 98% of the time.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    I'm fine if they're slower, but they really do sound like crap compared to the glory days. I never got to experience the V10's in person, but I saw the V8's and it was amazing.
    V10's were incredible to hear in person, I went to three V10 and two V8 races.

This should make everyone smile;

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    11 128i
    Not too concerned with the cars being slower, as long as it really does encourage closer racing. It would be a shame if the changes don't mix up the field a bit, would love to see some of the midfield teams getting closer to the front. Plus there will still be the team who gets the new regulations right and everyone chases to develop their cars.

It is odd when they talk about lap records being from 2004. Unless those cars were dangerously fast then why not at least try to get the current cars so that they could meet/beat any previous lap records? Not saying they need to crush the old records but at least have the potential on a good day.
    11 128i Space Gray slicktop
    13 WK2 Deep Cherry

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    I highly doubt we will see an end to the turbo V6 anytime soon.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
    Not too concerned with the cars being slower, as long as it really does encourage closer racing. It would be a shame if the changes don't mix up the field a bit, would love to see some of the midfield teams getting closer to the front. Plus there will still be the team who gets the new regulations right and everyone chases to develop their cars.

It is odd when they talk about lap records being from 2004. Unless those cars were dangerously fast then why not at least try to get the current cars so that they could meet/beat any previous lap records? Not saying they need to crush the old records but at least have the potential on a good day.
    The modern formula is as fast or faster than the '04 cars on many/most tracks. Today I think they're carrying quite a bit more weight, probably roughly equal drag, way more downforce, and more average power.

Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post
    I know. It still doesn't make them less lame as an F1 engine formula. The modern onboard shots are kinda meh... versus a smile coming to your face watching someone pilot a V10 monster around the track.

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post
    turbo i4 is my next guess. would probably sound better too.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hofmeister View Post
    turbo i4 is my next guess. would probably sound better too.
    Yup, probably around a liter?

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    BMW
    Loved the sound of the V10's in person. But it was hard to watch the whole race without using ear plugs at some point.

Sad that N/A engines that can spin to 22K - 24K have no technology that's meaningful in society in anyway. Thermal efficiency is boring crap.

My Cars
    11 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    The modern formula is as fast or faster than the '04 cars on many/most tracks. Today I think they're carrying quite a bit more weight, probably roughly equal drag, way more downforce, and more average power.
    Yeah you are totally right, F1 technical just posted this article about the weight increases since the 2009 season and how the cars *should* be slower but they are actually quite a bit faster. Amazing that since the start of the turbo-hybrid era some cars have dropped 9 seconds per lap. Also interesting, and not something I realized, was how much longer the modern cars are compared to 10 years ago.

https://www.f1technical.net/news/216...40bd96bd6dd337
    11 128i Space Gray slicktop
    13 WK2 Deep Cherry

My Cars
    yay
    Make cars less huge.
    Kill halo.
    Fix aero.
    Fix sound.

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post
    Make cars less huge.
    Kill halo.
    Fix aero.
    Fix sound.
    + Scrap DRS
    + Second tire manufacturer
    + Scrap fuel flow limitations
    + Reintroduce refueling
    + Relax engine design restrictions

Basically: remove all artificial excitement gadgets and go-slow mandates and let the teams have at it, full bore. Not long ago, this concept was known as "Formula One."

My Cars
    Alpha Romero
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post
    Not long ago, this concept was known as "Formula One."
    Get that craziness out of here. We're trying to discuss F1.

My Cars
    yay
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart951 View Post
    + Scrap DRS
    + Second tire manufacturer
    + Scrap fuel flow limitations
    + Reintroduce refueling
    + Relax engine design restrictions

Basically: remove all artificial excitement gadgets and go-slow mandates and let the teams have at it, full bore. Not long ago, this concept was known as "Formula One."
    Love it.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Agreed.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    The technology Jeannie is out of the bottle. If they try to put it back in and still cut teams cost, that won't happen.

The teams were in on the current rules to make the cars better to allow for passing, and that has failed. The drivers recently said that want to have a say in it, so hopefully, that helps.

At this point, refueling would be a good start.
    Last edited by AJLM34A; 06-05-2018 at 03:16 PM.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    The sport is in such turmoil because they're conflicted. On the one hand, they want the maximum in speed and technology. That's what F1 is all about. On the other, they want an unmatched spectacle. That's what F1 is all about.

Personally, I'd favor the latter over the former. Cut aero, maybe allow tunnels again to get some back, get an engine that sounds exciting. The rest--ultimate speed included--is kind of secondary.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    The sport is in such turmoil because they're conflicted. On the one hand, they want the maximum in speed and technology. That's what F1 is all about. On the other, they want an unmatched spectacle. That's what F1 is all about.

Personally, I'd favor the latter over the former. Cut aero, maybe allow tunnels again to get some back, get an engine that sounds exciting. The rest--ultimate speed included--is kind of secondary.
    bring back fan cars, have fan rpm directly from wheel rpm so they still have to go fast to get downforce. youll get the close aggressive racing, hard to drive cars, and fastest out there cars.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    The Real Reason F1's Top Teams Are Threatening To Quit

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2.../#26454dfc6355
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hofmeister View Post
    bring back fan cars, have fan rpm directly from wheel rpm so they still have to go fast to get downforce. youll get the close aggressive racing, hard to drive cars, and fastest out there cars.
    Yeah, but I'd still take slower cars that have to be chucked around over faster ones that are nailed to the pavement. After a certain level of downforce, the drama is gone from the cockpit.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    I don’t know - I think there’s still going to be a washout issue that’s going to be hell for the trailing car. Stutt has the right idea though.

And please bring back at least the V8s.
    Last edited by m3fuz; 06-18-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    RBR going to get Honda engines next year.