Thread: Top won't close at very last part of sequence

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Convertibl

Unhappy Top won't close at very last part of sequence

Hey,
    While changing out one of the rear window regulators I accidentally pulled the emergency convertible motor release. I got the tonneau motor and convertible top motor back in. I started the resync / reset process and everything close fine until the end when the front bow has to come down and the top has to latch (it's a fully auto top).

It's doesn't sound like the top motor even attempts to run and the top just seems frozen (can't get it to move at all). Is there a specific fuse I blew for the motor maybe?

I'm attaching a picture of where it gets stuck:

2018-05-21 19.56.50.jpg

Thanks

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic
    I would try to resync it a couple of times as it's easy and some times the resync does not work the first time. If that does not work I would make sure your two front motor microswitches are in place and working. I can't recall if the outer or inner one triggers the front motor but you get the idea. Reading your post it seems more like a sync problem though.

Don B

Quote Originally Posted by prohan View Post
    Hey,
    While changing out one of the rear window regulators I accidentally pulled the emergency convertible motor release. I got the tonneau motor and convertible top motor back in. I started the resync / reset process and everything close fine until the end when the front bow has to come down and the top has to latch (it's a fully auto top).

It's doesn't sound like the top motor even attempts to run and the top just seems frozen (can't get it to move at all). Is there a specific fuse I blew for the motor maybe?

I'm attaching a picture of where it gets stuck:

2018-05-21 19.56.50.jpg

Thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Convertibl
    Ok - I'll try resyncing again (I have tried a bunch already- but maybe from a different start this time?). Maybe I hit a microswitch when I putting the top motor back into place. Do you know which switches have to cleared for the front lip/bow to go down?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Convertibl
    Phew! Got it back to to normal. Basically I tried to resync it from a couple different positions. I reset the motors from the place it was stuck in and that got it closed. Then I resynced from closed position and that did it!

Thanks for the advice.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by prohan View Post
    Phew! Got it back to to normal. Basically I tried to resync it from a couple different positions. I reset the motors from the place it was stuck in and that got it closed. Then I resynced from closed position and that did it!

Thanks for the advice.

I was going to suggest that. I have the semi-auto top, and I had to resynch from the raised position -- procedure calls for the top to be in storage, but my car was not successful doing it that way. I tried with the top raised, and it worked.

My Cars
    02 525,01 X5,99 323IC
    When you guys talk about doing resynch with the "top closed/raised", is it completely closed and you do it or?? I have been struggling with mine (fully auto) for over a year now. Was working perfectly, than one night when closing it, it just stopped half way! I have replaced both motors, the control box, tried resynch multiple times checked all fuses, blah blah blah. The only progress I make is that on occasion I can get the front motor to unlatch from windshield, but then stops where the tonneau should raise. Want this fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    I was going to suggest that. I have the semi-auto top, and I had to resynch from the raised position -- procedure calls for the top to be in storage, but my car was not successful doing it that way. I tried with the top raised, and it worked.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i Convertibl
    For mine it was fully closed because I have a full auto top. With that said - because it was fully closed I did the resync by pressing the down button instead of the up (close) button. So I'd say release your semi-top then start the resync once it's released, but press down instead of up.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328ic
    Yes, sometimes you have to resync from several positions. You should also disconnect the battery before you try a resync.

Don B