Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: URGENT! Revshift diff bushings question for E36

MINIz guy is offline #buttstuff2k14 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    rolls coal
    I do have a central sleeve on all the bushings!

I noticed my front diff bushing backed out 2-3mm after last weekend. I'm going to Pocono this weekend and will see if I get any more movement, or if it was the washer settling. Not looking forward to pulling the exhaust to get the diff out and bushing pressed in again... will be giving Inflame a PM after next week.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    It looks like their subframe bushings come with center guides:

PSB-E36-2T.jpg

My Cars
    96' 332i RMS stg2 SC'd
    my buddy had this happen with ecs tuning poly diff mounts. I have the ecs poly diff mounts also, but never had an issue.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Is there a ‘captive’ washer on the body side that has been omitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    Is there a ‘captive’ washer on the body side that has been omitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not that I'm aware of. The diff bushing kit came with 3 bolts and 3 washers. I used up everything.

FYI this is not about subframe bushings.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    To respond to some of the earlier posts, the Revshift bushings, at least the recent ones I installed this year, are basically identical in construction to Powerflex and others with the aluminum central sleeve. Based on earlier posts by the OP, it looks like he has an older revision of the diff bushing kit, so I'm not sure how it might differ from what they currently sell and what I have. At the very least it looks like the older kit also uses washers on the rear bushings, while the new kit only uses a washer on the front. That said, it stands to reason that they likely made the design revision to fix issues, possibly issues like this.

I know there's no f'ing way my front diff bushing is going anywhere. There's a thick meaty washer covering the entire face of the bushing, topped by long M12 10.9 bolt which goes through the bushing, through the diff (mine is drilled out), and into a big locking nut on the back side of the diff. The bolt, which is torqued pretty tight (70-80 ft/lb if I recall), would have to back out for it to move anywhere. Similarly, the rears can't physically back out unless the bolts loosen and allow them to.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 06-17-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    rolls coal
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    To respond to some of the earlier posts, the Revshift bushings, at least the recent ones I installed this year, are basically identical in construction to Powerflex and others with the aluminum central sleeve. Based on earlier posts by the OP, it looks like he has an older revision of the diff bushing kit, so I'm not sure how it might differ from what they currently sell and what I have. At the very least it looks like the older kit also uses washers on the rear bushings, while the new kit only uses a washer on the front. That said, it stands to reason that they likely made the design revision to fix issues, possibly issues like this.

I know there's no f'ing way my front diff bushing is going anywhere. There's a thick meaty washer covering the entire face of the bushing, topped by long M12 10.9 bolt which goes through the bushing, through the diff (mine is drilled out), and into a big locking nut on the back side of the diff. The bolt, which is torqued pretty tight (70-80 ft/lb if I recall), would have to back out for it to move anywhere. Similarly, the rears can't physically back out unless the bolts loosen and allow them to.
    Did you provide your own washer on the front diff bushing? As you can see, the ones Revshift provided were extremely thin. I wouldn't be surprised if the aluminum insert is staying put but the washer is deforming and letting the poly back out.

I haven't had time to look under my car after my last event. Will need to soon to see the damage.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    No, mine came with a fairly thick steel washer for the front bushing. I have it fully torqued and it hasn't deformed. It's probably about the same thickness as the rear subframe washers, which are pretty meaty.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    96 M3, 97 M3
    It is widely known that the Revshift diff bushings back out. Go AKG or Rogue

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12