BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: FS: 1997 328is E36 Track/HDPE Car (SoCal)

My Cars
    1997 328is

FS: 1997 328is E36 Track/HDPE Car (SoCal)

I'm gonna miss this car, but here goes. '97 E36 track car with new paint, rollbar, coilovers, 4-piston Stoptech front brakes and much much more: $5,950

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/a1f3ANp

I just had it painted in the original black. No damage - the clearcoat was starting to peel a little. I replaced the front bumper and the headlights at the same time.

The car is located in Ventura County, CA, and is non-op'ed (ie not licensed) since I only use it at the track and have a trailer.

I've had this for about 10 years, and it was my daily driver for a while until I converted it to a full-time track car. It's very balanced at the track - the ultimate momentum car. It'll surprise some very fast cars in the sweepers. Not so much on the straights It's done a best of 1:38 at Big Willow and 2:08 at Buttonwillow. I think it has a bit more in it with a little more front camber.

Here's a lap at Big Willow. Not my fastest, but just so you can see it in action:
    https://youtu.be/NjW7xPNSmpg

It has:

KW Clubsport Coilovers
    17x8.5 Kosei K1 Racing Silver
    H&R Sway Bars (front and rear)
    Rear adjustable control arms
    X-Brace

s52 Cams
    M3 Diff (3:15)
    S50/M50 Intake Manifold
    Shark injector with tune for the cams/manifold/CAI
    Dinan CAI
    VAC Dual pump kit (a must at tracks with high-speed sweepers)
    VDO Gauge kit
    Turner Underdrive pulleys
    A/C delete
    Fan delete
    Stromung Exhaust
    UUC Short shift kit
    New VANOS

M3 style front spoiler
    Aluminum Door Panels
    New Paint
    Sunroof delete
    Corbeau seats
    Sparco Strada Steering wheel
    G Force 6 point harnesses
    4- point Roll bar (bolt in)

Hawk HT10 Brake Pads
    Stoptech 4 piston brake kit
    Hi-temp brake fluid

Caveats/things it needs:

The CEL is on and throws a stuck Vanos code, despite it having been just replaced. I'm told this is common when you do the S52 cam swaps, and I know there's a fix, I just never got around to it.

It has what sounds like a valve tick, which it's done for the last few years. It continues to run strong so I didn't worry about it.

For the right buyer, I might be willing to deliver the car within a 100mi radius (so LA county, Ventura county, and Santa Barbara county) if you don't have a trailer.

Reply to the thread with questions or PM me if you're interested.

-Matt

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Forgot the mileage - 186k. Most of that is street miles, obviously.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Wish this didn't have those kinds of cons. I would have thrown you an offer. 😔

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikecampafool View Post
    Wish this didn't have those kinds of cons. I would have thrown you an offer. 😔
    Totally understand your concerns. Neither issue seems to be affecting power or drivability at all. What I'm told from the Dr Vanos guys about the Vanos code is that it's because the cam sensor wheel on the s52 intake cam is not lining up exactly with the cam sensor. The fix is to drill the holes on the sensor wheel a little larger so you can advance it 3 degrees. I never bothered because I don't need to smog the car. I just clear the code and go on my way till the next time it comes on (usually 1-2 track days later).

As for the ticking, more than one person advised me that it's typical and just to overfill the oil a hair. It seems to help.

I tried to price the car so that even if someone did want to do the work to fix those things, you'd still be in the black. Between the paint job, new coilovers, new 4-piston front brakes, new CAI etc there's lots of value there I'm open to reasonable offers.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by roebling View Post
    Totally understand your concerns. Neither issue seems to be affecting power or drivability at all. What I'm told from the Dr Vanos guys about the Vanos code is that it's because the cam sensor wheel on the s52 intake cam is not lining up exactly with the cam sensor. The fix is to drill the holes on the sensor wheel a little larger so you can advance it 3 degrees. I never bothered because I don't need to smog the car. I just clear the code and go on my way till the next time it comes on (usually 1-2 track days later).

As for the ticking, more than one person advised me that it's typical and just to overfill the oil a hair. It seems to help.

I tried to price the car so that even if someone did want to do the work to fix those things, you'd still be in the black. Between the paint job, new coilovers, new 4-piston front brakes, new CAI etc there's lots of value there I'm open to reasonable offers.
    appreciate the response ill follow this thread. The want is real

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    It looks like it has a wheel stud upgrade too. And maybe vac aluminum floor pan kit? It's easy to forget stuff when you are listing it

This is a fantastic deal. You replicate the car anywhere near this price.

GLWS

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Thanks! You're right, I missed a few things. I changed and upgraded so many things on this car over the years. Thanks for the bump!

- - - Updated - - -

Sale pending.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Sold!