RM European Auto Parts

Thread: the moon exploded/shattered

My Cars
    2006bmw325i

the moon exploded/shattered

Hi just purchased a 2006 325i with 80K and on the way home on the freeway the moon exploded/shattered for no reason. Has anyone installed a new one themselves or have suggestions what course to take.

Steve

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Every 28 days, there's a new moon.

Seriously, WTF are you talking about?

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

MauiM3Mania is online now Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    My guess, the moon roof. If not, you did know Dirtracer that pakalolo is legal in WA state.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I hear Oregon, too....and there's an extra special benefit for me, there, as you'll know, my friend. (Sending link to Candace) Still, with all my paka experience, I never saw the moon explode...

If it's the sunroof that exploded, it takes six Torx 20 screws, maybe 15 minutes, to install a new one. Of course, this wouldn't include cleaning up the remains of the last one. There's zero stress on the sunroof, which could break it, so I'd expect a foreign object.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I hear Oregon, too....and there's an extra special benefit for me, there, as you'll know, my friend. (Sending link to Candace) Still, with all my paka experience, I never saw the moon explode...

If it's the sunroof that exploded, it takes six Torx 20 screws, maybe 15 minutes, to install a new one. Of course, this wouldn't include cleaning up the remains of the last one. There's zero stress on the sunroof, which could break it, so I'd expect a foreign object.
    There SHOULD be zero stress on that glass. I was wondering about perhaps a poorly repaired, flexing, crashed car.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2006bmw325i
    Well the fact they come out easy is a big help. We just bought the car and my son was impetuous about getting something. I see there is some aftermarket glass on Evil Bay for 100.00 and that might be worth a shot. In the future, I will not look at the moon through the sunroof because it seems to confuse some of the members. And yes, the car could have a salvage title because I have not seen the title yet; he financed some of the car. The foreign object theory is perhaps the better possibility there was road construction and large truck right in front of him. Does anyone have suggestion for a repair manual for these vehicles that might show body repair like a sunroof? Oh yeh--- moon roof sounds cooler.
    Thanks much and I will keep you posted, peace out Steve

My Cars
    09 x3
    you bought a hi tech car without seeing the title or doing a car fax ? geeze... I hope your trust in human nature is rewarded. I think that headliner is going to have to come down to change the glass and thats an expense you aren't going to want to do twice... you might look at a complete factory salvage unit and just swap it out... certainly if the glass can be changed in situ then thats the cheaper deal.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Nothing has to come out. Six T20 torx screws. Put your head up in the hole, and look to the side; 3 screws each side. The sunroof panel has it's own frame; just change the whole piece; 20 minutes.

http://car-part.com/

Above, you'll find 80 pages of sunroofs for your car. The part you want will be labeled "glass only", you do not want the sunroof cassette assembly. The prices begin well below $100.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2006bmw325i
    Thanks Chris –you the man!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    When you've cleaned up the mess, make sure to clean the sunroof drains. You're going to want to make sure that there's not a single chunk of glass anywhere in the sunfoof rails or drains: NOT even 1 ! A single chunk of glass can clog one of the 4 small drains, which will lead to a mildewed interior, ruined computers and plugs, and components, and a trashed car. Clean the rail areas of any debris using compressed air, then apply a quality lubricant When you use the compressed air at the drainage channels, BE GENTLE.

WATCH OUT ! the rear drains are exceptionally difficult to clear; don't blow debris backwards. Do not use full compressor pressure on the drain tubes!!! GENTLY ! There are many possibilities for the clogs, if present. While the panel is out, check for good water drainage in both rail areas. You need to understand that the sunroof gasket does not PREVENT water intrusion; it just slows it down. The water must be able to drain freely from all 4 drains. When you pour it into the drains from a bottle, it should drain quickly, from that corner, TO THE GROUND

When you get the new part, and remove the old one: Line up the panel with the screw-holes on the mechanism. Insert all six screws, leave them 1 turn loose.

You put the sunroof in position by resting it on your head, putting one hand up on top of the roof, to feel the corner you're adjusting. The other hand turns the Torx driver (screwdriver type handle works best). Push the panel up or down; snug (do not tighten) the screw; then, align the other side, then the opposite (forward/rear) corners, then the remaining screw. After all 4 corners are lined up, tighten all screws.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412