Thread: I think I blew my head gasket...yes, I'm an idoit

My Cars
    98 E36 M3 Vert,82 E21 iS

I think I blew my head gasket...yes, I'm an idoit

I think I blew my head gasket yesterday. There is a hose that goes from the header and to the engine and it came lose (pic below). I'm not sure how it was originally held together since it doesn't seem very stable and came apart at some point when I was driving. Coolant ended up spilling out and the car overheated. I was mentally preoccupied and didn't notice the temperature gauge at near max (almost at the red). I probably drove like that for 10 minutes.

1. After parking the car, coolant tank was near empty. Whatever coolant was left was very brown and muddy.

2. I checked the oil and it is pretty obvious that water got in there.

3. I connected the disconnected hoses together and added coolant. There isn't anymore leaks but the car overheats to max pretty much within 10 minutes of a cold start. I'm guessing I blew the head gasket. Is there anything else you guys can think of? Is it possible that it's worst than just the head gasket?

Please make any suggestions on what I should do next. Car was running well before this incident. Thanks

IMG_0174.jpg

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Likely you have to resurface the head. Gaskets dont just fail because of high heat. They fail because the head warped and seepage now exists. Sorry this happened and good luck.
    edit: Also, its possible that the head is cracked as well. You'll want to have a machine shop test the head first, which should be done for any head you mate to the block regardless.
    Last edited by jaredmac11; 05-21-2018 at 03:56 PM.