Thread: E32 1994 740IL Automatic- Noise coming from shifter - solved

My Cars
    E32 740iL

E32 1994 740IL Automatic- Noise coming from shifter - solved

I love my e32 but sometimes she gets on my nerves! The bitter sweet world of owning a BMW. Recently I was driving home like any other day and a rattle/tapping noise started to happen. It seems to be coming from inside the cabin from underneith my center console/shifter knob. When i search my issue up, Everything i find on "clicking noise from shifter knob" brings up a soloniod that has something to do with the break when stopping and going. Researching into the possibility, i found some videos and what they were showing was one single click.. Mine is a clicking that gets worse as My speed gets higher. Under 25mph no noise. Over 25mph and the noise returns and keeps getting louder as i go faster. Note: i dont wear rings, or have anything indise my shifting unit that would cause a vibration. Nothing looks loose nothing feels loose. I fear it may be a trans issue? But before spending the insane ammount of money on a trans rebuild i thought id post on the fourms and see if theres a possibility its not the trans and something less major causing the clicking. I have video of the problem. Any help on this matter woukd be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
    Last edited by shogun; 05-04-2019 at 05:34 AM. Reason: added solved

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    There is basically nothing inside the cabin in that area which can make noise based on changing speed.
    I assume you have to check under the car, the 740 has a guibo, check under the car the guibo and the center bearing, probably you find the noise there, look for touching marks or lift the car and turn the wheels and watch the driveshaft moving. These parts are directly under the center console.
    My guess is guibo or/amd center bearing, that is the typical noise. http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...terBearing.htm

I once had a lose center bearing and the driveshaft was touching the area under center console.

Note: : CSB pre-load http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...center+bearing
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E32 740iL
    https://youtu.be/bTwi4A6DTHM

Here's a video of the noise, I can get better video if need be.
    I'm for sure going to look into the guibo possibility if the noise is something a guibo could make. What are your thoughts after hearing the noise?
    Last edited by Wasz; 05-23-2018 at 02:12 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    something is touching where the driveshaft rotates. And no. 1 suspect is the guibo.
    I had a similar noise once on my E36 M3, there it was the heat insulation above the transmission which was hanging down and touching the guibo. Typical problem on the E36 and M3 too.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...n-falling-down
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    Guibo sounds like a great call. If it is breaking down, you may have a loose piece of rubber at the edge. Below about 30mph, there may not be enough centrifugal force to throw it out. Above that, it could act like a flail.

My Cars
    E32 740iL
    Got the car up in the air this morning as soon as i went underneath I could see the guibo was completely torn apart. I was surprised it was still attached. Going to overnight the guibo and hopefully fix her up tomorrow. Thanks for the fast replys guys u saved me alot of money, i was about ready to pull the trans. Pictures of the project will get posted in thread.