Thread: BMW E39 - 528i - AC/Schnitzer - Question

My Cars
    120d (E81), Z3 2.8

BMW E39 - 528i - AC/Schnitzer - Question

Hey Guys,

I am Chris, 30, from Germany looking for a BMW E39 - 528i.
    I've seen an interesting candidate. However, what makes me worry is the AC/Schnitzer chassis, which was built in from the beginning. I need this car as daily driver and don't want to spend much in case a shock needs to be replaced. I already replaced shocks myself on my Z3 and my E81.
    So my question would be:

AC/Schnitzer:
    1) Was it just lowering springs? Or was it a package of lowering springs and shocks?
    2) Given that the shocks are AC/Schnitzer, too - where can I find the part number? Before buying the bimmer, I'd like to inform me about potential costs.
    3) Is it still a comfortable ride or very hard... looking for a cruiser rather then a sporty chassis.

I looks so nicely, green with beige interior - 129.000 km. I have the M52B28 engine in my Z3 and I love it.
    Couldn't test drive the E39, yet. Looking forward to do so on Friday.

Would be great, if someone can shed in some light regarding this AC/Schnitzer stuff...

Many thanks in advance!
    Dingens 2103

My Cars
    2002 BMW E39 530i (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by dingens2103 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I am Chris, 30, from Germany looking for a BMW E39 - 528i.
    I've seen an interesting candidate. However, what makes me worry is the AC/Schnitzer chassis, which was built in from the beginning. I need this car as daily driver and don't want to spend much in case a shock needs to be replaced. I already replaced shocks myself on my Z3 and my E81.
    So my question would be:

AC/Schnitzer:
    1) Was it just lowering springs? Or was it a package of lowering springs and shocks?
    2) Given that the shocks are AC/Schnitzer, too - where can I find the part number? Before buying the bimmer, I'd like to inform me about potential costs.
    3) Is it still a comfortable ride or very hard... looking for a cruiser rather then a sporty chassis.

I looks so nicely, green with beige interior - 129.000 km. I have the M52B28 engine in my Z3 and I love it.
    Couldn't test drive the E39, yet. Looking forward to do so on Friday.

Would be great, if someone can shed in some light regarding this AC/Schnitzer stuff...

Many thanks in advance!
    Dingens 2103
    Welcome to the forum pal

Another forum, a bit closer to home for you, could be more help too: http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/

There are quite a few folk on there that know these cars inside out, so will be able to help as will the folks on here

IIRC, the AC cars came with Sachs dampers, but AC lowering springs and then the AC body kit and badging etc

""In General

AC Schnitzer offers exclusively custom-made ACS-5 vehicle components for BMW vehicles. The vehicles are not new models developed by us, but technology platforms for our accessory components. Thanks to our flexible modular system, we can offer individual components, assemblies or complete conversions. All components are precisely matched to each other. Complete conversions achieve the best results in vehicle optimisation. We call such vehicles "genuine AC Schnitzer" and "enhance" these models with our logo and type designation.

The AC Schnitzer ACS-5

Superb, powerful and individual: the AC Schnitzer ACS-5 Saloon reveals unusual aspects of driving pleasure. With the BMW SE 5-series saloon and the new BMW 5-series Touring, two new 5-series models have been awarded the prestigious iF Award for outstanding product design."

I found the above on the 5 forums
    My car: 2002 E39 540i Sport - Japanese import - the new project!