Thread: Is DSP a configuration of the TAPE/CD player?

My Cars
    '88 535is & '99 540iT6

Is DSP a configuration of the TAPE/CD player?

Hello -

I've searched high and low and cannot figure this out. I found a correct version of the CD player (software/manufacture date combo) for using the Aux input. Finally! What I don't know is whether or not the CD player needs to be from a DSP enabled car. From everything I understand about how the system works I feel the answer is no - but I'm ready to be wrong.

I'd just plug it in and see BTW but this is going into a 'round socket' '99 which means I'll either need to invest dollars to get the conversion plugs or invest time to make them. I'd prefer not do either if the DSP is a deal killer.

I'm so happy I finally got to kick off a DSP thread of my very own - lolz.
    '88 535is & '99 540iT6

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    If you have the in-dash cassette or CD player...and you have a DSP amp...then DSP will be controlled by the MID which will need a DSP button. The in-dash C43/CD43/CD53 do not control DSP...it is communication between the DSP amp and the MID (or the BM53 Nav screen).
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    '88 535is & '99 540iT6
    Excellent news! That was my understanding as well and since all I'm doing is swapping out a C43 and a CD53 - w no other changes - I should be good to go. Thanks for the fast answer! Now to figure out my approach on the wiring conversion
    '88 535is & '99 540iT6

My Cars
    '94 325i, '97 528i
    I've done this upgrade as well. Including the roiund pin adapters. (I bought mine.) DSP "should" have had no impact on my upgrade (CD heads are not DSP specific), but I ran into an issue with the DSP amp not playing well with the CD53.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=977710

End result, I got it working, but it only after letting the smoke out of my DSP amp!

HTH

James

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    FWIW, the 'CD player' on MID-equipped cars, IS the radio inside. All the radio receiver etc. is inside there, the MID is only a display screen and input device. Think of it as just the computer monitor and keyboard with (almost) no brains. So all the receiver and audio processing stuff is really in what guys call the 'CD' unit (or tape for early cars... ha remember tape?)

No I am not aware of any major issues w/ radio-versions, but yes there IS the issue w/ the DSP's and "letting smoke out" (one of my personal faves ) E38 DSP's for instance are wired the wrong way and will burn up if tossed in anything but a rare early E39 (ask me how I know...). Kinda amazing they made the connectors and pinouts all exactly the same in such a way that the older parts would fit right in yet self-destruct!

The radio and the DSP both can take a little bit of coding so yes there's that NAV-DSP coding problem, however the radio alone should be mostly plug and play...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)