Thread: DIY: E46 Window Regulator Repair

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90

DIY: E46 Window Regulator Repair

Finally replaced the creaky passenger front regulator in my 330 ZHP. Recorded this video along the way:

Link; https://youtu.be/IgJ351U7xWg

Do you guys use OEM regulators or aftermarket when you do these?

My Cars
    91 318i 04 325i
    OEM -- have done 3 of 4 on the wife's daily driver (right front still the day one original).
    On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. (Edward Mote 1797-1874)

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I've used Ebay, Dorman and Uro Premium on my sedan's drivers door and had the best luck with the Uro, lifetime warranty too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    I just replaced both of my rear window regulators. Was easier install than I thought, since there's no airbags to deal with. BOTH old window regulators had rusted/snapped cables. And then I discovered that one of the windows, the previous owner had sealed shut with like rubber cement or some shit and I had to pry it open so I could lower the window to remove the screw attaching it to the old rail guide. That was a frustrating process, but I got it in the end, without damage the window or anything, so I'm happy about that. One of the regulators I got was URO, and the other was some other brand like REIN or whatever off of RockAuto.com. I wanted both to be URO, but they were sold out of one and not the other, so I settled for a similarly priced regulator. All in all, it was a pretty good experience for me to finally open a door panel. I'll have to upgrade the speakers at some point in time (simply because I like loud music, and the HiFi system is pretty meh to me).

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Quote Originally Posted by RomeoMike View Post
    OEM -- have done 3 of 4 on the wife's daily driver (right front still the day one original).
    The OEM regulators are great, but sometimes hard to justify $125 for one compared to $20 for aftermarket. Put an OEM one in my wife's X5 3 years ago and still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
    I've used Ebay, Dorman and Uro Premium on my sedan's drivers door and had the best luck with the Uro, lifetime warranty too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Good to know thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by legobumb View Post
    I just replaced both of my rear window regulators. Was easier install than I thought, since there's no airbags to deal with. BOTH old window regulators had rusted/snapped cables. And then I discovered that one of the windows, the previous owner had sealed shut with like rubber cement or some shit and I had to pry it open so I could lower the window to remove the screw attaching it to the old rail guide. That was a frustrating process, but I got it in the end, without damage the window or anything, so I'm happy about that. One of the regulators I got was URO, and the other was some other brand like REIN or whatever off of RockAuto.com. I wanted both to be URO, but they were sold out of one and not the other, so I settled for a similarly priced regulator. All in all, it was a pretty good experience for me to finally open a door panel. I'll have to upgrade the speakers at some point in time (simply because I like loud music, and the HiFi system is pretty meh to me).
    it's definitely easier to do the rears if there is no airbag. I think rear airbags were an option, at least they were on E39's. Maybe you can swap out an HK sound from a part out, its a great upgrade