Thread: 1st Maintenance For Cheap 330i5 401k Miles

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330

1st Maintenance For Cheap 330i5 401k Miles

I am possibly getting a 2003 330i5 for very cheap but the issue is the car has 401,000 miles but it does run and drive. I normally wouldn't want anything to do with a car with that many miles, but it's in decent condition and it will be fun to work on, mod for cheap, and probably get lots of headaches lol. I had a 2002 530iA and my experience with the 3.0L M54 was terrible, but I know that was because that was a BMW that seemed good on the surface but underneath all the sexy, beautiful German engineering was a decade of problems (DISA, CCV, catalytic converter, consumed oil like crazy, oil pan gasket, 2 misfires, thermostat), I know all the M54 engines aren't problematic like my previous experience, so for a 401,000 mile car with an unknown service history and not being able to do a pre purchase inspection, what should I do right away? Oil change, spark plugs, check brakes, and anything else to look out for, anything E46 specific maybe? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Just a separate idea, since the M54 is in lots of other BMWs from that era, would I be able to drop in a 2.5L without any mods if I could get a known working engine for cheap with lower miles or should I stick to the 3.0L if I just swap the engine? Also how would it be worth it to swap the standard 5 speed for the ZHP 6 speed? Does it have to be a ZHP 6 speed or can it be M3 or even the E39 Msport or M5 6 speed or maybe the standard E39 5 speed from the facelift when the 2.5L and 3.0L M54 were used? Im asking about the swaps because it may be more economically viable then doing a complete engine or trans rebuild since I can get them for anywhere from $200+ from the junkyard or part outs in the area. I know this is a lot and may seem crazy, but before any of the swaps, what should I be sure to do to make sure I can drive it a few miles to and from work? Thanks.
    Last edited by NoClue; 05-20-2018 at 03:21 PM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Your username sums up your post well I must say, thanks for the entertainment!

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    From my understanding there's really only one thing blatantly wrong with the M54 engine - and that's the oil consumption issue - which has a couple diagnoses, AND even has a few different solutions for each diagnosis to choose from to remedy that issue. The only other "issue" that can't really be called an issue, is the fact that you have to keep the cooling system in top notch shape to keep the aluminum block from warping from excessive heat - which can be easily prevented with regular maintenance. If the first issue is addressed, and you keep the M54 engine's cooling system in good condition, I don't see why it wouldn't be one of the best BMW engines for its time, and perhaps even to this date. I'm still new to the world of BMWs, but lots of research and maintenance later, I'm understanding the vehicle more and more and what it needs to last a long time.

My current BMW being a 2002 325xi with 211k+ miles on it (I've owned it since 203k+ miles) and I'm loving it. I just recently overhauled the suspension on it, and am now waiting for the new sway bar end links and new rear window regulators.

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Your username sums up your post well I must say, thanks for the entertainment!
    Thank you for the feedback, I will use it wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by legobumb View Post
    From my understanding there's really only one thing blatantly wrong with the M54 engine - and that's the oil consumption issue - which has a couple diagnoses, AND even has a few different solutions for each diagnosis to choose from to remedy that issue. The only other "issue" that can't really be called an issue, is the fact that you have to keep the cooling system in top notch shape to keep the aluminum block from warping from excessive heat - which can be easily prevented with regular maintenance. If the first issue is addressed, and you keep the M54 engine's cooling system in good condition, I don't see why it wouldn't be one of the best BMW engines for its time, and perhaps even to this date. I'm still new to the world of BMWs, but lots of research and maintenance later, I'm understanding the vehicle more and more and what it needs to last a long time.

My current BMW being a 2002 325xi with 211k+ miles on it (I've owned it since 203k+ miles) and I'm loving it. I just recently overhauled the suspension on it, and am now waiting for the new sway bar end links and new rear window regulators.
    Thank you for a quality response.
    The suspension seemed alright, but without a full test drive on the open highway there's no way to know for sure, it wouldn't have to ride smooth, just not be a death trap lol.
    The cooling system is the failure for all BMWs, so I would probably keep a close eye on it since I has been replaced but I'm not sure when or how well it was maintained.
    The oil consumption would probably be a lot at that high mileage and I was able to find that a 2.5L swap is very simple (basically drop in) and they are a lot cheaper and a lot easier to find, so that'd probably be what I would do then just to keep it going for cheap.

My Cars
    2002 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClue View Post
    The cooling system is the failure for all BMWs, so I would probably keep a close eye on it since I has been replaced but I'm not sure when or how well it was maintained.
    Not sure if that's actually true, or just a common thing because of aluminum block engines.

Quote Originally Posted by NoClue View Post
    The oil consumption would probably be a lot at that high mileage and I was able to find that a 2.5L swap is very simple (basically drop in) and they are a lot cheaper and a lot easier to find, so that'd probably be what I would do then just to keep it going for cheap.
    Yes, assuming the engine's piston rings have never been replaced (or have been with stock M54 rings), then your oil consumption issue may very well be the M54 style oil control ring on each piston being very worn out from all of that mileage. One of the fixes for that, is to use M52tu oil control rings instead of M54 oil control rings and your oil consumption should pretty much disappear. Unless, of course, your oil filter housing gasket is what's leaking (or could be both), and after that many miles with an unknown service history, I would check that first and replace it if necessary, then drive it a bit to see if you still have an oil consumption issue before trying to diagnose the pistons' oil control rings. There's also the CCV being refurbished or replaced, or the catch-can system install, and even the O2 pilot mod install that are all designed to reduce or eliminate the oil consumption. The catch-can and O2 pilot mod being the cheapest and easiest solutions.

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330
    Quote Originally Posted by legobumb View Post
    Not sure if that's actually true, or just a common thing because of aluminum block engines.
    I think being all aluminum may have something to do with it, I was saying for all the good BMWs (E36, E46, E34, E39, E38), not the new ones, the cooling systems seem to fail earlier than other brands, even other German brands. On the forums, in the newbie/ FAQ type of threads that are stickied, I swear they all say the cooling system is a major point of failure, and everyone suggests for any question that they need to redo the entire cooling system, so maybe they are paranoid a little bit? lol

Sadly, I wasn't able to get that 330i which would be a monster of potential problems, but I found one even cheaper lol.
    Current:
    1991 535iA [Daily]
    2000 540iA [Project // Bad Guides]
    2003 330CiA [Project]

Retired:
    1994 318i5 [Problems -> Part Out]
    2002 530iA [Too many issues]
    2002 Ford Taurus SEL 24V DOHC [No power to wheels]
    2003 Nissan Altima 2.5A [Taken as evidence]
    2002 Toyota Corolla LE [Totaled]

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    All cooling systems fail when they are not properly maintained. The cooling system of all aluminum engines need to be in tip top shape. The cooling system need to be refreshed at 100k miles. The primary culprit is that many parts in the system are made of plastic. Plastic tends to get brittle over many heating/cooling cycles. Couple that with the fact that aluminum engines don’t tolerate overheating means that a poorly maintained cooling system can end up with a large, metal paperweight, aka an unrepairable engine. This process is acerbated by the fact that many owners install aftermarket cooling system parts. These parts fail very quickly.
    Oil burning is a problem with the M54 engine. It causes include:
    - long oil change intervals
    - primarily short trips
    - a poorly designed CCV
    There are solutions though. The first is to keep the oil change mileage at 7000 miles or less. There are proponents of Shell Rotella T6 oil. They claim it cures most engine oil burning. Additionally, weekly trips of at least 20 miles at highway+ speeds helps, especially is the engine speed is kept in the 3000-4000rpm range. The installation of an oil catch can can help as it ensures crankcase vacuum is properly maintained. Some swear by the 02Pilot mod that adds a vacuum line between the cylinder head and the CCV. Lastly, many have had success with GM Top End soak procedure. Go to E46Fanatics for furth info in this.