Thread: Replacement Keys - Blown away!

My Cars
    97 2.8 Z3; 01 2.5i Z3

Replacement Keys - Blown away!

I just recently bought my 97 Z3 and it came with only one key. I believe it to be the valet key as it doesn't have any push-buttons on it. Anyway, I'm looking for a source to get a new one and have it cut and I cannot find anywhere but the stealership. $225 and it has to be ordered from BMW according to them. I was blown away. I guess I'm not used to paying anywhere NEAR that much for a key.

Does anyone know of a source where replacement key(s) can be obtained? I see where you can buy blanks but then finding someone to cut them is another story. SURELY there has to be a better source and I just haven't found it??

If anyone can point me in the right direction, PLEASE DO!!

THANK YOU!!

My Cars
    skateboard
    Get ews deleted, and have the key copied . Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The valet key is grey. If it's a black key, then it is the fully operational key. Z3 keys do not necessarily have buttons. Yes, there is a lighted key. Useless. And there was an optional key with buttons for one of the optional alarm systems. But the standard key has no buttons. And costs about $80 from the dealer. And yes, the key has to come from BMW NA. They, and only they, have the records and mating RFID chips to go with your anti-theft system (EWS).

/.randy

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Wow. I'd check with another dealer if possible. I paid $68 for a replacement but it doesn't have the light button and isn't the remote for the door lock. Does yours have the factory wireless receiver/alarm ? I think they all use a separate fob remote.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    $60 something is what I just paid for mine from the dealership. Car came with single key as well. I had a choice with and without the flashlight when ordering. I think it was $5-10 difference. Keyless enters keyfob is different. If BMW OE alarm, good luck getting new keyfob from the dealership. eBay might be the only choice. There are alternative options, but frequency has to be correct 434khz if memory serves me right. Z

My Cars
    99 M3

Replacement Keys - Blown away!

I’ve seen reports that state that an existing key’s RFI ‘chip’ can be copied, the key duplicated, but you will have to research that, as I have also heard that access to EWS is via a rolling code.
    YMMV.
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-faq-ews

BMW has a limited number of replacement keys for a given EWS component. After that it is a new EWS and then ECU alignment.

I have also heard that a Subaru fob works as a replacement for a BMW fob, you will have to research that also.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 05-20-2018 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I’ve seen reports that state that an existing key’s RFI ‘chip’ can be copied, the key duplicated, but you will have to research that, as I have also heard that access to EWS is via a rolling code.
    YMMV.
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-faq-ews

BMW has a limited number of replacement keys for a given EWS component. After that it is a new EWS and then ECU alignment.

I have also heard that a Subaru fob works as a replacement for a BMW fob, you will have to research that also.

After checking a few EWS2 data reads I have.... these cars' EWS2 (or EWS3D) do have rolling codes for keys. The keys contain an RFID with a static key identifier code, plus a rolling code that updates after ignition on.

There are 10 key slots in EWS. Plenty for a new dealer key. All cars come with 6 free slots. For $60-80 its easy to get a dealer key.

To do it yourself 'at home' you'd need to have a new rfid chip for the key, an rfid reader to retrieve the static code, and an EWS microcontroller unit programmer to change the pre-existing static codes (which only BMW has access to ahead of time).

Subaru fob will not work unfortunately.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 05-20-2018 at 05:45 PM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    97 2.8 Z3; 01 2.5i Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Get ews deleted, and have the key copied . Problem solved

My problem is finding someone to laser cut a copy. It seems no one will touch it. Unfortunately for me, there is just the one BMW stealership here in Jackson. SIGH

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    The valet key is grey. If it's a black key, then it is the fully operational key. Z3 keys do not necessarily have buttons. Yes, there is a lighted key. Useless. And there was an optional key with buttons for one of the optional alarm systems. But the standard key has no buttons. And costs about $80 from the dealer. And yes, the key has to come from BMW NA. They, and only they, have the records and mating RFID chips to go with your anti-theft system (EWS).
    Thanks for letting me know. My key is black but has no buttons on it. I guess I could go to the stealership and let them see the key I have and see what they say then for a price.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    Wow. I'd check with another dealer if possible. I paid $68 for a replacement but it doesn't have the light button and isn't the remote for the door lock. Does yours have the factory wireless receiver/alarm ? I think they all use a separate fob remote.
    Sadly, there is only one BMW stealership here in Jackson. SIGH....

60-80 buks here in NY

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    If they're trying to sell you a key with built in remote then it's the wrong one. Are they charging for enrollment of the new one ? You can do that youself.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    United Auto Security can cut the key. But that will only give you a key that can open the doors. For the car to start, you have to have the embedded RFID/EWS chip, which is part of the BMW sourced key

/.randy

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    60-80 buks here in NY
    Where I need a key copied

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    99 M3
    It looks like ECS Tuning, European and others allow ordering on line with copy of reg. and copy of DL faxed/emailed to them.