Thread: Drivetrain Malfunction

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M

Drivetrain Malfunction (upd. Fuel Injectors)

driving down the highway minding my own business, when.....

got a Drivetrain Malfunction message on the display and the car is now running sluggish. It said "moderate driving possible" and I was able to make it home.

Using my Scanner the code is:

P0300 multiple cylinder misfire
    P0307 cylinder 7 misfire

guess I'll check cylinder 7. I'm thinking that may have caused both codes. I hoping it's just something that came loose. Mileage is only 40,9xx

*sigh*
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 05-30-2018 at 02:47 PM.

My Cars
    F30 335i ActiveHybrid 3
    Could be any of the below

Spark plug

Coil

Fuel injector

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    I took the car to the dealer yesterday(Classic BMW Plano, TX)

There was a TSB on potential failure of the plugs, injectors or coils (I haven't seen it yet) however the service advisor informed me they are only replacing one bank of plugs, coils and injectors. Shouldn't they replace all of them? It's covered under warranty.
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 05-22-2018 at 03:23 PM.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    After carefully reviewing the service order, it appears they replaced plugs and injectors on cylinders 1,2,3, and 7.
    I found the TSB on bmwtis.com site. (paid $30 for 1 day of access) It states that if the Injector is a P11 or greater, only replace the faulty injector (if less than P10 replace all of them)
    so this is what they did, replace Cyl. 1,2,3, 7 with P12 injectors and the spark plugs because they were fouled.

TIS Service Bulletin. Fuel Injector Replacement.pdf

It bothers me that they didn't perform cyl. 4, 5,6,8

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    BMW Warranty does not pay to replace non-faulty parts.

You always have the option of paying out of pocket, or waiting until they fail upon which they will be replaced under warranty.

Or you can just complain about $2k+ of free parts and service you received.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    BMW Warranty does not pay to replace non-faulty parts.

You always have the option of paying out of pocket, or waiting until they fail upon which they will be replaced under warranty.

Or you can just complain about $2k+ of free parts and service you received.
    cool insult bro. Im not complaining I'm asking a question. In the auto industry its common and best practice to replace evenly parts that will likely fail. This is true with tires, wheel bearings, brakes, rotors, engine gaskets, spark plugs, injectors, coil packs etc.

and; its not $2000 worth of free parts. The injectors are $239 and the plugs were $10 each. Even ECS Tuning says that if the injectors are P 11 or greater all of the injectors in the same bank should be replaced. in my case they did not that. They did 3 in one bank, amd 1 in the other.

I just dont want any more problems.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Not trying to insult you, I do this for a living and there is no reason for you to be whining, particular since you don't seem to have a solid handle on how the industry operates.

The list price on the 079 Index12 injectors is $315ea, plus decoulping rings are about $9 each. Spark plugs are about $25ea. The dealer sells Genuine BMW at Genuine BMW pricing. Not ECS aftermarket OEM pricing. Don't forget these parts don't install themselves either. Classic BMW's labor rate is likely around $200/hr. Do you know what KSD pays on N63 injectors? Do you know what KSD is?

Injectors Index 01-10 can be exchanged respectively, Index 11-12 can be exchanged respectively, mixtures between them is a no go. Injectors should be changed in banks, be it 3 and 3 on a N54, or 4 and 4 on a N63 when updating hardware version. Mixed injectors outside their respective hardware version cannot be coded on the same bank and will not run correctly.

BMW Warranty does not replace parts that will probably fail. If the dealer replaces them BMW will NOT reimburse them, so they are NOT going to do it.

Best practice doesn't have anything to do with it. I work on BMW's for a living and I always recommend ALL injectors on N54/N63 engines when its customer pay. Extended warranty won't even pay for a whole bank of injectors, only the single failed one.

Now this is all assuming you have a N63 engine in your 550i. Since your account says 2014 it should be a N63tu, which uses solenoid injectors rather than the old style piezoelectric so they can be swapped out at will and there is no injector index business.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    I'm not whining, I'm asking a question. This is my 45th car, my knowledge level is not perfect but it's good. Other than than, thank you for the information. You answered one of my questions regarding index 10 being not compatible with 11 or greater.
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 05-31-2018 at 11:04 AM.

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    yodamel - while Stück isn't generally the guy who gives a hug and a kiss, he's giving you decent information.

Stück - glad to hear you didn't succumb go the rain and storms. Try to be a little nice. Please?

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    yodamel - while Stück isn't generally the guy who gives a hug and a kiss, he's giving you decent information.

Stück - glad to hear you didn't succumb go the rain and storms. Try to be a little nice. Please?
    Yes it was, from the information he provided I am able to determine that I don't need to replace the remaining injectors at this time. Thank you.

My Cars
    F10 BMW 550i MSport
    It's a good chance that its either your high or low pressure fuel pump... I had the same issue and limped it in to my dealer while it was still in limp mode and had the code read. Had to replace the fuel pump

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The warranty will only replace defective items, not the ones that may fail. I remember working at the dealer and the car would be under cpo so the fault was for torque converter, BMW said ok replace it. The foreman said we should do the whole transmission. In goes the converter, clear the fault, road test the car, light comes back on, fault is back, BMW now says replace the transmission. Or the e39 m5 they removed the heads twice to clean the secondary air ports, using BMW lame cleaning tools. And then the light came back on, then they put on a new set of heads. If they would have send the original heads to a machine shop and drilled out all the secondary air passage ways the heads would have only been off once. Final storie, I had an e90 and there is water in the oil, there was a sib about this metal part in the block that would allow this to happen, so I called my friend at the dealer about it he says she has cpo, I say ok. She drops it off and gets it fixed. Later i happen to be talking with him and asked did you guys replaced the engine, he says no replaced the block, so they took the engine completely to replace the block. Seems like a lot of wasted labor.