Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Rear Window Installation Day

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci

Unhappy Bad Rear Window Installation Day

So I tried to install a rear window that I had laying around for a couple of years. The zipper clamp bent tabs were carefully straightened out from inside the car with needle nose mini pliers, and the old window was easily unzipped. I got the new window started easily after a couple of tries, and carefully zipped it almost 75%. Then noticed a ~2" section at the start that had come undone. Backed the zipper all the way to the start and of course the pull slid off. Here is where I am stuck; the "stiff" insertion pin on the new window is badly frayed now and there is no way I can get it on. Can the fray be repaired, or is my new window trash now?

I have read a few previous posts about the insertion pin fraying and was feeling quite good about my progress and chances..... I looked on YouTube zipper repair videos, but not much information..... Should I try hot glue or other compounds to try and stiffen the insertion pin? Any advice is highly appreciated.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Is this an OE or eMiata window? If OE, and you need to start with another window, try eMiata next.
    I think glue is too thick, will not let the tab go into the pull. I pinched a dot of Crazy Glue into the frayed tabs of two OE windows, but was not successful in getting the tabs into the pull.
    I bought but did not try to install an eMiata window, and its zipper tab looked better than the OE.
    Eventually the tab on the zipper of my canvas top became frayed from all the attempts, and I gave up on a new window.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci
    OE window. I was hoping to drive the Z3 to Chicago today; that won't happen. I could look at some zippers at a crafts store and attach/crimp a metal insertion pin carefully. Or it is time to aggressively start looking for a hardtop..... Almost had it done yesterday......
    Last edited by aba4430; 05-20-2018 at 08:58 AM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    For future reference, I use two (2) zippers when I install these (OE) windows. I trail the first zipper 6" - 8" behind with the 2nd one, and use it mainly to keep the corners attached as I move the 1st zipper forward. After the whole window is zipped in, both zippers are pulled off at the end.

Before starting, I run a zipper all the way around the top's opening, and then all the way around the window, prior to mating them together. This aids to get all the teeth standing up and proud, like an alignment.

Maybe it's more of an eyesight thing, but I've never been able to get the supplied pronged clamp & plate assembly to go in__maybe if the prongs were longer, I could do it__so I quit trying! I use nylon sewing thread and a smallish needle and "wrap" the two (2) zipped ends together with a dozen or so passes. It helps to have a person on each side__Sue helps me most often__to make sure you keep the needle going through as close to the teeth as possible, and not pass through the exposed area of the canvas. I've done probably a dozen cars that way, and no phone calls so far...

Not too long ago, I replaced the window on the gray car, and if I ever get the time__and pull the hdtp off__the black one is due for a new window too.

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci
    Thanks Vintage and Randy. One end of the window is still unfrayed. Can I try zipping it from this end, i.e. starting on the end closer to the inside of the car. This way, I would be going counter clockwise. Only concern is whether I will be able to get the pull off at the end, besides whether it will zip at all.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Two zippers is genius. Old school/old fart genius.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by aba4430 View Post
    ... Can I try zipping... going counter clockwise. Only concern is whether I will be able to get the pull off at the end, besides whether it will zip at all.
    I can't find the post, but IIRC someone mistakenly got their zipper started in that direction but something bad happened at the end.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Nail polish will stiffen up the frayed end.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    Nail polish will stiffen up the frayed end.
    What color?

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I can't find the post, but IIRC someone mistakenly got their zipper started in that direction but something bad happened at the end.
    I found the instructions on-line by someone who tried to do this from the inside (had to be counter clockwise) and was unable to remove the pull at the end. If you try this from the outside, clockwise, there might be some hope if it zips at all. Also learning more than I want to on zippers. They sell repair kits with box ends and metal insertion pins etc., and will look into these as well Started search for a hardtop as well.

My Cars
    00 Z3
    There have been two hardtops listed on Craigslist in Pa for sometime. Maybe a bit pricey.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb912 View Post
    There have been two hardtops listed on Craigslist in Pa for sometime. Maybe a bit pricey.
    Well that's random.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci
    There are a few available in the $2.5K to $3K range. A few years ago, a forum member in FL offered me an Arctic Silver H/T with kit for under $2K, and I thought it was a tad on the high side. Should have jumped on it.

My Cars
    00 Z3

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by rcb912 View Post
    You posted the link twice and broke it. I fixed it in my quote.

There is this one also:
    https://poconos.craigslist.org/cto/d...596180371.html
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by aba4430 View Post
    I found the instructions on-line by someone who tried to do this from the inside (had to be counter clockwise) and was unable to remove the pull at the end. If you try this from the outside, clockwise, there might be some hope if it zips at all. Also learning more than I want to on zippers. They sell repair kits with box ends and metal insertion pins etc., and will look into these as well Started search for a hardtop as well.
    Attempted my own OE window install today and also have ended the day with a bunch of research on zippers and no rear window. Did you try any of the box ends or pins?

I did find that I can start the zipper on the top backwards and back it up around the circumference of the window to get to the starting position, but now I can't get the zipper started into the window side. Both sides of the zipper are pretty frayed now...

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci
    Not yet, due to no time. My existing window start's are quite damaged. I am planning some vacation in June and will tackle then. If I end up getting a new window, the first thing I will install are metal insertion pins on the stiffened start ends....
    Last edited by aba4430; 05-29-2018 at 06:19 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll let you know how it goes.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    The one on amazon is not a normal zipper slider. It can separate, so you can attach it to the 2 zipper sides and then screw it together. If it is the right size for the zipper, it should allow me to skip over the frayed cloth tabs and start the slide on the actual zipper teeth. Also, it may allow the window to be zipped in the opposite direction (counter-clockwise) since the slider can be removed at the end by unscrewing it.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    The one on amazon is not a normal zipper slider. It can separate, so you can attach it to the 2 zipper sides and then screw it together. If it is the right size for the zipper, it should allow me to skip over the frayed cloth tabs and start the slide on the actual zipper teeth...
    It would be nice if that FixnZip slider would be a workaround for frayed and unusable Z3 zipper tabs. I wonder if it requires one's hands to be both inside and outside of the window at the same time.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    It would be nice if that FixnZip slider would be a workaround for frayed and unusable Z3 zipper tabs. I wonder if it requires one's hands to be both inside and outside of the window at the same time.
    It appears that it may very well solve the frayed ends problem. I haven't tried to zip in the window with it yet, but it will easily start on the frayed side of the zipper. Should be able to give it a full try tomorrow.

I'm using the medium size Fix N Zip.

My Cars
    1998 Z3, 2.8; 2000 328Ci
    Good find. Good luck, hope it works out well.

My Cars
    '10 GTI / '98 Roadster
    Good god, please let us (read: me) know if this works.

I've had an emiata window sitting around since February waiting for a warm day to install it. That day was Sunday. Old window out in about 2 minutes. 20 minutes of getting the slider on the window zipper followed by 30 minutes of watching some of the zipper to zipper zip together and some of it not, back up, and repeat until I was 30% around the window. Then the slider came completely off of both zippers. Not even sure how that happened.

I really don't want to fray and ruin either the window or the top, so I stopped, drank a bunch of beer, and sulked for the rest of the day. Found an auto/boat/plane upholsterer nearby that I'm heading to tomorrow to find out what they will install the window for. Luckily it's not my DD, but my DD needs a weekend of work and I can't really have two cars down at once. My ego may not be able to take it.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladecatcher View Post
    ... Found an auto/boat/plane upholsterer nearby that I'm heading to tomorrow to find out what they will install the window for...
    I took my mess to the local auto/boat/plane upholsterer and told them how simple it should be. They tried to get the zipper started for a few minutes as I watched. Then told me to take the car home or let them order a new top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast