Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Rear Window Installation Day

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I paid $120 to have mine installed at the local upholstery shop and it's sounding like it was the best money I ever spent. I hate when something that should be so simple becomes a royal PITA

My Cars
    '10 GTI / '98 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I took my mess to the local auto/boat/plane upholsterer and told them how simple it should be. They tried to get the zipper started for a few minutes as I watched. Then told me to take the car home or let them order a new top.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    I paid $120 to have mine installed at the local upholstery shop and it's sounding like it was the best money I ever spent. I hate when something that should be so simple becomes a royal PITA
    I don't even care if they have to modify the window or sew it in permanently. I'll gladly pay $120 to have it done. The original lasted 20 years. The top will be toast before I care to get another window.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladecatcher View Post
    I don't even care if they have to modify the window or sew it in permanently. I'll gladly pay $120 to have it done. The original lasted 20 years. The top will be toast before I care to get another window.
    What? You don't want to earn a degree in zipperology at home in your spare time?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    So, the fixnzip was not able to get the zipper sides to engage. It was helpful in clamping the two zipper sides together.

This is what worked for me:

1) The blue tag on the window size was too thick to go into the slider. So, I removed the blue fabric, leaving the plastic reinforced zipper end underneath.

2) I started the zipper on the top side first, but I could only get it in the starting position by starting it on the ending tab and sliding it all the way around counter clockwise to get it back to the starting position on the top.

3) I attached the fixnzip to the top and the window zipper about 8 inches down from the starting position. Then I tightened it up and slid it down close to the starting position. This helped to align the zipper ends.

4) Fiddle, pull and curse at the slider to get it to engage.

It doesn't seem possible to get the metal clips through both zippers. I have temporarily stitched it with normal thread. I will do it again tomorrow with some heavy duty outdoor thread.
    Last edited by pine1000; 05-30-2018 at 10:04 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    All the kneeling on the seat bottom worried me that the stress would cause a break in the heating wires.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    This is why I went with an emiata window--I too tried an OE window and ran into the same issues. The emiata window is so much easier to install--I returned my OE window and after 5 years the emiata is still going strong. No issues starting or zipping it. For those reading this thread and questioning the whole job, don't fear, just don't by the OE window and go with an emiata from the start. Plus it's significantly cheaper to boot.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I don't think the eMiata window would make much difference in my case. Once I figured out how to start the zipper on the top side, it was mostly frustration in not being able to see what I'm doing.

I've noticed this morning that the window is a little wavy, which probably means that it is off by one tooth. I may revisit the fun tonight if I can convince my helper...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12