Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E36 (C33) radio grounding issues

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe

E36 (C33) radio grounding issues

My E36 radio (c33) has tons of static when listing to the radio or even through the AUX with my adapter. The static is present even if I disconnect the adapter the replaces the CD player in the trunk so I know it's a grounding issue. I also get no FM signal, not sure if that's related or if my radio is just messed up. My question is where is the radio usually grounded? I'd like to check and make sure it's connected securely. I didn't make any changes which is why I think something came lose. It's been like this for a while so I'm not sure exactly when it started, however it might have been when I had my left taillight assembly replaced. Could something related to that have compromised the ground?

My Cars
    M3, M3, 323is
    Very unlikely youd have a ground issue at the radio. Probably issues in the radio itself. Just replace it there ton of radio that can look close to factory and ton of radios at bestbuy that have color change to match the amber color of the car. Good luck

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by steelyphil View Post
    My E36 radio (c33) has tons of static when listing to the radio or even through the AUX with my adapter. The static is present even if I disconnect the adapter the replaces the CD player in the trunk so I know it's a grounding issue. I also get no FM signal, not sure if that's related or if my radio is just messed up. My question is where is the radio usually grounded? I'd like to check and make sure it's connected securely. I didn't make any changes which is why I think something came lose. It's been like this for a while so I'm not sure exactly when it started, however it might have been when I had my left taillight assembly replaced. Could something related to that have compromised the ground?

The ground wire is the black one on the harness. Take a look at the link below for a guide and reference. Hope this helps you out a bit!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec.../E36-Radio.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon4x4 View Post
    Very unlikely youd have a ground issue at the radio. Probably issues in the radio itself. Just replace it there ton of radio that can look close to factory and ton of radios at bestbuy that have color change to match the amber color of the car. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    The ground wire is the black one on the harness. Take a look at the link below for a guide and reference. Hope this helps you out a bit!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec.../E36-Radio.htm
    Thanks. I actually just got a new OEM radio today so we'll see if it get's fixed. If not I'll try tracing the ground.