Thread: Subwoofer

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5i Roadster

Subwoofer

The stock subwoofer in my 2002 Z3 2.5i roadster only makes muffled grumbling noises when I turn up the radio. When the radio is low I hear essentially nothing from it. I've searched the forum looking for options but find very few to no threads in the latest decade discussing options. I'm looking for the most inexpensive option to get some bass in my car, I'm not looking to rock the block. I found the sunfire option which replaces both the amp and speaker, nice I'm sure but if this will work for me with the existing amp I would be happy. Any reason to think this isn't an OEM replacement for what I have that should solve my low end need?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/65138386456/

Thanks much

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    You might be able to just fix your original. As long as cone is fine and it’s the foam that ripped. For $20 you can buy replacement foam part and glue it back on. I had that happen to my sub.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    I've heard that these are decent and a direct fit into the speaker sub box.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9106-hp5...kers-pair.html

The link you have above shows one speaker and that plug thing in the other space for a speaker. Not sure if yours has 1 or 2 speakers in the subbox for your model. However, on eBay i have seen them listed as 1 only for sale if that is what you need.

I wouldn't buy the entire new sub box if your is in good condition and not been cut up. If you already are that far in the car, it's only 6 or maybe 8 more little bolts, save you a ton and you will have better speakers and sound.

The other alternative is too go to a pick and pull it junkyard if you have one close by. Should be about $5.99 or so. Very common speaker if not HK system in your vehicle.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5i Roadster
    It is not the HK I don't think - the Window Sticker only says "10 speaker sound system with subwoofer" and the head unit says "BMW Business CD" (which I think is funny - what was Business about a CD in 2002 I wonder?).

I guess I will pull the speaker out first and see exactly what's going on in there.

How can I determine if it's repairable vs needs replacement?

z3stereo.png
    Last edited by one wolf; 05-19-2018 at 02:23 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Not sure if yours is a 5 inch sub. If so https://www.speakerworks.com/5_inch_...kit_p/swk5.htm.

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by one wolf View Post
    How can I determine if it's repairable vs needs replacement? z3stereo.png
    DimrBimmer brought up a great alternative as well, and I have repaired successfully an HK sub on my car. I used quick drying silicone we already had on hand. Very easy to do. If the speaker has just detached and deteriorated along the cones outside edge, than this repair is for you. If there is holes in the center of the cone then no.

There is a write-up I have used from another forum which works beautifully. The just if it is put paper towels behind the cone and the metal frame to make the front of the cone sit up flush as it once was along the outside edge. Apply silicone around the outside where paper cone once was, let dry, pray and do a little dance to the speaker and silicone gods, and put it back in. To my amazement, mine worked perfectly. Problem solved.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5i Roadster
    Okay I finally got around to opening it up to see what I have going on. First, a huge shout out to this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...tails-and-pics for helping me remove the compartment cover for what was obviously the first time ever.

Anyway, here's what I have. I'm thinking I might be a good repair candidate, yes? I don't want massive thumping hip hop just solid bass for my classic rock.

Last edited by one wolf; 08-10-2018 at 11:54 AM.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/Custom-8-spea...subwoofer.TRS1
    I would go this route. It's much easier to find a replacement sub in this size and it really rocks. The seller will take less than listed price.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5i Roadster
    Thank you, I don't want to cut into the top though, prefer to keep things as stock as possible at least in appearance.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    No cutting required it drops right in and replaces the stock lid.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5i Roadster
    Ah, gotcha, so I can keep my stock lid in case I want to put it back later. I guess I'd like the appearance to remain stock is more what I meant, but still get some use out of the speaker.

My Cars
    z3
    It wont affect the stock look as it will be behind the stock speaker grill under the stock center console lid

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5i Roadster
    I'm confused. This is a picture from the suggested ebay product link you posted above:

Currently my z3 doesn't have a big upward facing speaker - just fake leather. The sub faces the front grill. What am I missing?

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    If you want to keep it original your only option is to find a late 2000 to 2002 HK sub box. They came with a 6ish" sub but again finding a true subwoofer in that size is getting harder. The IA sub enclosure is made of plastic that more resembles the rest of the factory trim but is a bit pricey. I've had this eBay one several years now and love it

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5i Roadster
    For $11 shipped I'm going to try repairing my existing speaker with the kit DimrBimmer recommended above. I ordered the kit, the dimensions do appear to be a perfect fit, we'll see how it goes. I cleaned up what I have and I think it's an excellent candidate for the foam surround repair. I will report back next week with an update.

My Cars
    z3
    There is (or was... Cant seem to find it anymore) another kit that replaces the stock unit with a box/speaker that all hides behind the stock stuff. Link didnt work on my phone and thought that was what was posted.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3L Roadster
    I had the exact same issue and mine looked just like your picture above. I repaired it inexpensively with a new foam surround with one caveat. You'll notice that the outer lip of the foam surround is just glued to the surface of the metal. My repair tore free again after just a few weeks so I re-glued it and then cut out and shaped a flat piece of sheet metal that is held down by the 4 corner screws. The purpose of the sheet metal is to clamp the outer lip of the foam surround to the metal of the speaker in addition to using the glue. I cut a large hole in the piece of sheet metal the diameter of the OD of the bulge on the foam surround. When installed, this takes the stress off of the foam surround and keeps it from pulling loose from the metal. Mine has worked perfectly for 10 years after the repair.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSharps55 View Post
    I had the exact same issue and mine looked just like your picture above. I repaired it inexpensively with a new foam surround with one caveat. You'll notice that the outer lip of the foam surround is just glued to the surface of the metal. My repair tore free again after just a few weeks so I re-glued it and then cut out and shaped a flat piece of sheet metal that is held down by the 4 corner screws. The purpose of the sheet metal is to clamp the outer lip of the foam surround to the metal of the speaker in addition to using the glue. I cut a large hole in the piece of sheet metal the diameter of the OD of the bulge on the foam surround. When installed, this takes the stress off of the foam surround and keeps it from pulling loose from the metal. Mine has worked perfectly for 10 years after the repair.
    Brilliant. I noticed that Speaker Works sells gaskets and includes "install gasket" as the last step of the repair, so I wanted to buy one but they don't sell any smaller than 6". Based on your description of what to expect with glue only, which makes total sense, I will go ahead and start planning my own poor-man's gasket also. Thank you.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3L Roadster
    My pleasure! Here is a pic of the sheet steel piece I made. I cut it out with a jig saw and a Dremel tool. My surround came from Parts Express I think. As I recall, it was a little bigger than the stock one, but worked fine. I added a little extra RTV around the foam just for good measure.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/Custom-6-5-sh...7e4b%7Ciid%3A2

BB was this the one you were thinking of

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSharps55 View Post
    My pleasure! Here is a pic of the sheet steel piece I made. I cut it out with a jig saw and a Dremel tool. My surround came from Parts Express I think. As I recall, it was a little bigger than the stock one, but worked fine. I added a little extra RTV around the foam just for good measure.
    No attachment...

My Cars
    2002 Z3 2.5i Roadster
    Update: This worked absolutely great. I used a piece of flat plastic and jigsaw to make a gasket. Reinstalled and now I have weak but adequate bass coverage, which is 20x better than what it was - which sounded like a vibrating rattling box of rocks.

I may get the speaker kit at some point, especially if/when I get around to removing my door panels to fix the rattling door handle parts issues in both.

But for now at least I'm functional at moderate volumes which is enough for me.