Thread: Low-frequency 'pressure' or thump from rear when going over bumps- normal for wagons?

My Cars
    528iT 5MT

Low-frequency 'pressure' or thump from rear when going over bumps- normal for wagons?

To expand on the title, it seems to be most notable when both rear wheels are bumped, or when going up a hill, but it happens elsewhere too. I don't know if this is just endemic to the 528iT because it's a big heavy car and the wagon aspect doesn't isolate the rear suspension as much. I came from a small light sedan before this car.

Just had the rear subframe bushings replaced, along with control arms and a few other items, but not everything. 180k mi, still original shocks and air springs.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Strut bumps, diff bushes, center mount bearing on the shaft loose? Exhaust hanger broken? Hatch allignment good? Spare tire secure? Battery secure?

It's not normal is the short answer.

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    Start removing things from the cargo area, panels, tools, spare, and jack. Have someone drive the car on a low-traffic bumpy road while you are in the back with the hatch opened and closed. You should be able to narrow it down.

Here's what my noise turned out to be:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ons-for-fixing
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 03 525iT Sport
    I have been told by another touring owner that the noise you hear is from pressurization of cabin due to door flutter from weakened body to door seals. My understanding is that the seals around the door openings on the body keep enough force on the doors to keep them from moving at low frequency over bumps as you’ve described.
    I’m looking to change these seals soon as I’ve replaced literally all of the common wear parts in the suspension (arms/mounts/ball joints). May have to replace rear hatch seal as well.

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 03 525iT Sport
    Just went on a 400 mile road trip this weekend.
    I have a feeling it’s the differential bushings.
    Going to change these out and report back.