Thread: Splitter recommendation

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

Splitter recommendation

Warm season approaches here in NE and time to book some track days. This would be my first time taking my newly acquired toy car (M Roadster w/hardtop) to the track. I am debating if I should just go as is or add some body work. Obviously if I start slapping shit on, I will never know how the car handles stock. And how it would improve with extra body work added at later time. On the other hand I keep on reading how Z3 lifts its front at high speeds and wondering if I should just add a splitter. APR has some, or should I say had some for our cars. Can’t find any. There are bunch for other cars. I wonder if I can pick one up that was made for another vehicle and just custom fit it on a Z. Are there any other reasonably priced CF splitters out there for our car? Maybe some canards instead? Thoughts anyone? I am also planning on adding a wing. I think I will stick with APR for that, unless there are other options come up.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Not sure if you need wing, but splitters/lip helps a lot with that front lifting at high speeds.

frt canards ,and a wing?............

let me ask, how many track days have u done?........will z become a dedicated track car?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I haven't seen any front splitters for sale specific to the Z3, but fortunately splitters are pretty simple to fabricate. There's a wide range of materials you can use, fitting a wide range of budgets.

Fabricating a single front splitter may be time consuming and end up costing you as much as a custom one in the end, if you do not already have an assortment of tools necessary for the job. However, when your splitter eventually breaks (and it will break), you will already have a template and can turn out copies for very little investment.

Be conservative with your design initially. You will be surprised how much a little aero change can make your car handle. The change may not be a positive one. A large front splitter may greatly improve handling at a low speed, but you might find yourself with an undrivable car on the highway.

I would not advise a rear wing. The front on this car already has issues with the front lifting at speed. I wouldn't want a huge wing on the back making that worse.

A small spoiler, maybe, to reduce drag. But I haven't seen any CFD that convinces me it would be terribly effective with the top down, do to turbulence.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    frt canards ,and a wing?............

let me ask, how many track days have u done?........will z become a dedicated track car?
    Th Z is a dedicated track car, sort off... and take your old lady out to dinner and on a joy ride on weekends when child is being watched by grandparents. Not this year, as I am still waiting for Randy to become available to overhaul my toy car. Next year and years to come, I am hoping to get more and more in to it. 5-6 track days/weekends maybe.

Yes, I am also quilty to want it to look more like a track car. Not looking to get any trophys. I have my wife for that. Just want to spruce it up and give more aggressive look.

sooooo..it aint really dedicated....there is no sort of..lol

i say dont do any of this....track it one season...and then decide.

are you an experienced track driver?

u risk just ruining the look of the car...but what do I know...

now if it was a true race car, thats a diff story.

- - - Updated - - -

put on coilovers...get a good stance......do exhaust......get fat wheels /tires

u want to go out to eat w/ the wife w/ canards and a wing?, and alot of cologne and manicured hi gloss nails too?........sorry I couldnt help myself
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 05-21-2018 at 03:50 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    sooooo..it aint really dedicated....there is no sort of..lol

i say dont do any of this....track it one season...and then decide.

are you an experienced track driver?

u risk just ruining the look of the car...but what do I know...

now if it was a true race car, thats a diff story.

- - - Updated - - -

put on coilovers...get a good stance......do exhaust......get fat wheels /tires

u want to go out to eat w/ the wife w/ canards and a wing?, and alot of cologne and manicured hi gloss nails too?........sorry I couldnt help myself
    LOL. I knew where this was headed... no apology needed. It’s all good.
    Now to answer your accusations :-P
    Car already comes with aftermarket exhaust, body brace from strong strut, front strut, shark tune. I also pickup hard top and HMS bar, as well as 10.5 and 9.5x18 apex rims (really hope I can fit that 9.5 et 31 in the front with 245/35R18. Car is going to get new suspension when I send it to our Randy sometime this year. Also, have a spare trunk lid to house the wing or a spoiler for some downforce. Don’t want to drill the original.

Do I mind taking this car out with my lady? Hell no. Even if it looks like I just drove it off the track. If I had extra cash, I would throw couple of snails in it too. Truth is, I stumbled across Cloudbase’s Z last year and fell in love with the look. So trying to replicate it, minus stickers and in faster titanium silver color .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok man.....I hear ya

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    Truth is, I stumbled across Cloudbase’s Z last year and fell in love with the look.

Naah... Probably this FB group is better suited for you - https://www.facebook.com/groups/757670637663639/

They like big wings to show off.
    Last edited by deni2s; 05-23-2018 at 08:58 AM.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Naah... Probably this FB group is better suited for you - https://www.facebook.com/groups/757670637663639/

They like big wings to show off.
    I guess you are a member already, because it’s asking me to log in .
    Hey Denis, I recall you posted about swapping strut hats not too long ago. Do you know how much camber does that add?

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    I guess you are a member already, because it’s asking me to log in .
    Hey Denis, I recall you posted about swapping strut hats not too long ago. Do you know how much camber does that add?
    I left that group some time ago, couldn't stand that nonsense . I guess most members are big fans of Fast & Furious series.

Got the hats, just haven't swapped yet, so can't tell exactly about the camber. There are also at least 3 different ways to install them - 1) as supposed, 2) rotate both, 3) swap left with right. Some people are saying swapping left with right will help with toe after increased camber on non-M. I assume/hope that swapping the hats will allow me to install 0,5 inch wider lips on my 17" wheels in front.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Got the hats, just haven't swapped yet, so can't tell exactly about the camber. There are also at least 3 different ways to install them - 1) as supposed, 2) rotate both, 3) swap left with right. Some people are saying swapping left with right will help with toe after increased camber on non-M. I assume/hope that swapping the hats will allow me to install 0,5 inch wider lips on my 17" wheels in front.
    Exchanged some PM with another member who swapped left with right and he got 3.0 and 3.2 respectively for each wheel. Unfortunately that’s not adjustable. I might look at some camber plates instead.