Thread: Remus quad tip exhaust for pick up

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7

Remus quad tip exhaust from picknpull

Hey guys in the Sacramento region. I was at the rancho cordova pick n pull and looking for tailights... nothing good compared to my current ones, was looking for heated steering wheel but also nothing good. But i spotted remus quad tip exhaust on one of the cars. I looked at it and i see one of the muffler has been dented but otherwise still a good pock up. Just thoght it be nice to get used by someone on the forum than to be junked.

at least i picked up the wiring for the heated steering wheel and one of the stalks thats been rattling on my current 740. The slip ring for the heated steering wheel doesnt work on a non heated steering wheel right?
    Last edited by shenofjo; 05-21-2018 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Changed situation

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    After some thought, i decided to pick it up and see whether its something i want with the supercharger.IMG_4072.jpg

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    hell if not id buy them
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    Ill let you know. My car has the early dinan supercharger kit without all the fancy dinan badging everywhere (no dinan engravings on intake pipe, supercharger bracket, exhaust tips). It does have everything from what i can tell (3.15 diff, 750 brakes, relocated coolant reservoir). The question is how do i tell if my current exhausts are dinan exhaust or oem? Heard its just oem without the baffles inside so any other ways to tell? Can a muffler shop be able to know?

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by shenofjo View Post
    Ill let you know. My car has the early dinan supercharger kit without all the fancy dinan badging everywhere (no dinan engravings on intake pipe, supercharger bracket, exhaust tips). It does have everything from what i can tell (3.15 diff, 750 brakes, relocated coolant reservoir). The question is how do i tell if my current exhausts are dinan exhaust or oem? Heard its just oem without the baffles inside so any other ways to tell? Can a muffler shop be able to know?
    I've heard the same, that they are oem with the baffles removed, and if that's the case they will have to either be cut open again to check or you might be able to stick a camera inside of them to check.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

My Cars
    '01 740iL#2,'02 CBR954RR
    After some thought, i decided to pick it up and see whether its something i want with the supercharger.IMG_4072.jpg
    nice find shenofjo!
    "A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Back to the slipring - yes they are different. You got a pre 3/99 slipring?

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    IMG_4084.jpgIMG_4083.jpgSome dent but the shop says not a problem performance wise. Gonna get it installed tomorrow barring hiccups from my baby not falling a sleep in time tomorrow... as for my steering wheel its production 12/97. Will need to find a proper heated steering wheel donor

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    Just put the baby to sleep, got my wife's sleepy blessing and got out to the muffler shop!
    looks like i do have dinan exhaust though its still speculation at the moment. No dinan stampings as with the rest of the dinan 7, but the owner of the shop sees the exhaust piping being bigger than stock.IMG_4089.jpgIMG_4087.jpgIMG_4086.jpg

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    Here it isIMG_4090.jpgIMG_4092.jpgIMG_4093.jpg
    not aure why iphone uploaded pictures are all disoriented... to be honest, i cant tell much of a difference in the sound at idle and regular cruising. Will know more down the road. The shop did a great job of using the oem exhaust clamps so i can swap between the 2 if i wanted to and resell value for both exhausts if i decide to unload either one
    Last edited by shenofjo; 05-22-2018 at 12:53 PM.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    If the OEM mufflers have been Dinanized they will have a seam on the top half or at the seam itself. I did this to my OEM nufflers by grinding the middle seam welding inside as described above with a perforated pipe from inlet to exit, then rewelding the seam. You can't really tell unless you look closely at that seam.

Someone had an actual set from Dinan several years back and there was a second seam about one inch above the original welded seam. Someone else said later versions were done at the seam. They were also $1,800.00 from Dinan.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    Hey txdarth, i was referring to your post and picture and mine is indeed dinan exhaust. Has the seams on the top half, and i used the endoscope camera and found it to be straight perforated pipe through the muffler. Probably why i dont notice much sound or performance difference between the 2. Fun to see the quad exhaust though!
    Last edited by shenofjo; 05-23-2018 at 04:14 PM.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Hey txdarth, i was referring to your post and picture and mine is indeed dinan exhaust. Has the seams on the top half, and i used the endoscope camera and found it to be straight perforated pipe through the muffler. Probably why i dont notice much sound or performance difference between the 2. Fun to see the quad exhaust though!
    Glad it helped - didn't realize the pics still showed since PB pulled there little trick.......the quad tips are an upgrade, agreed.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    After driving the car a little more, the remus exhaust gives the dinan 7 more immediate throtle response in all gears, especially in D where flooring it in dinan exhaust would yield a substantial delay before trans shifts and power kicks in. With remus, the engine rpm climbs in D without needing trans shift. Part throttle, remus made the low mid rpms drive great! I thought about doing a back to back dyno but my friend reminded me thats just stupid throwing money away swapping exhausts... and he is right... so unless people are curious, dyno probably wont happen

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Sounds like a little more back pressure with the Remus - it doesn't take much to change the low end on these cars...
    On one of my exhaust attempts I was surprised at the difference when going from 2 1/2 to 3 inch pipes - without changing the tune it was less on the bottom end. I went back to 2 1/2 next and it came right back so I know that is what was causing it.....

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    That makes sense. Today and yesterday, i almost broke loose in 3k rpm uphill, slight curve, mid throttle, and traction control kicked in. I will have to rev it out one of these days and see if the top end is different. On dinan exhaust, i get an extra kick from 5k rpm to redline.

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    Final update:
    dinan exhaust has great top end pull from 5k to redline but lacks low rpm responsiveness
    remus exhaust has more immediate throttle response in low to 4k rpm but missing the extra kick up top.

for day to day driving, remus is a great set up, i assume the dinan exhaust wiuld yield more HP gains at redline.

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Final update:
    dinan exhaust has great top end pull from 5k to redline but lacks low rpm responsiveness
    remus exhaust has more immediate throttle response in low to 4k rpm but missing the extra kick up top.

for day to day driving, remus is a great set up, i assume the dinan exhaust wiuld yield more HP gains at redline.
    Great info, thanks for sharing . So... Which one you keeping?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    Im keeping the remus. Not sure how much dinan exhaust is worth or if there is a demand for it.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Im keeping the remus. Not sure how much dinan exhaust is worth or if there is a demand for it.
    ,,,,,not much I would think!

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    I think my new Sport has the DINAN exhaust, smaller than normal e38 mufflers. It does very well at high rpms as you said. I got my son an e39 540 Sport, same drivetrain as the e38 Sport, and that fades at the higher rpms compared to the DINAN. But like you said, 98% of our driving is not at high rpm and we enjoy our cars more by just driving around town.

Thanks for the Remus update. I may look into them now.

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    I enjoy both exhausts for their different characteristics, with dinan i try to redline on the freeways when i can and its addicting. Remus is a new experience for me and def enjoy the city/suburb traffic driving more. Will see if i miss the high rpm pull of the dinan On the freeways

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    I think my new Sport has the DINAN exhaust, smaller than normal e38 mufflers. It does very well at high rpms as you said. I got my son an e39 540 Sport, same drivetrain as the e38 Sport, and that fades at the higher rpms compared to the DINAN. But like you said, 98% of our driving is not at high rpm and we enjoy our cars more by just driving around town.

Thanks for the Remus update. I may look into them now.
    Dinan E38 exhaust cans have the exact same dimensions as stock. Inlet and outlet pipes are different diameters though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-P907A using Tapatalk
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    1998 740il dinan 7
    Time flies doesn’t it... I saw tyler’s New to him e38 on YouTube channel hoovie’s Garage, and I thought about contacting him to sell him my Remus exhaust system sitting in my garage. Tried to google Remus exhaust and found this little gem of a thread. Interesting times of when my son was just born not too many weeks ago and jumped on the chance to go to a pick n pull with a newly bought reciprocating saw just to get this exhaust. 2+ years later, my dinan 7 is long gone and I’ve moved on to 2002 is300 manual and enjoying the reliability as well as its 3 series competitive handling and a stick. Anyways just dropping by to say hi and that the Remus exhaust is still in my home for grabs

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    Time flies doesn’t it... I saw tyler’s New to him e38 on YouTube channel hoovie’s Garage, and I thought about contacting him to sell him my Remus exhaust system sitting in my garage. Tried to google Remus exhaust and found this little gem of a thread. Interesting times of when my son was just born not too many weeks ago and jumped on the chance to go to a pick n pull with a newly bought reciprocating saw just to get this exhaust. 2+ years later, my dinan 7 is long gone and I’ve moved on to 2002 is300 manual and enjoying the reliability as well as its 3 series competitive handling and a stick. Anyways just dropping by to say hi and that the Remus exhaust is still in my home for grabs
    What would you want for it?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk