Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ILSA and the Vertical M50/M52 Turbo

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    Whew, this thing is sexy. Keep us teased!
    thanks man, I aim to please. I was perusing your thread, didn't realize we have similar turbo. how much jam you makin?

Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    Sure would have saved a lot of trouble if they had just put the motor there in the first place huh?
    Haha...yes, yes it would...It's been a big pain in the ass...I am still glad I chose this route, Its alot easier to work on which was one of the main goals.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    The intake manifold is complete. That was a ton of welding...Pressure tested and ready to jam! I am very tired. enjoy!

Drove around a bunch tuning, first impression, feels good, sounds different, throatier, no loss of drive ability which is nice, top end rips. I am very pleased =) its almost turbo time

My Cars
    86 325es
    Looking good

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    M3
    I'm making 620 wheel jam powers with 590 wheel peanut butters. It's quite snappy. I did just kill my driveshaft after 35k abusive miles though.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    Looking good
    Thanks alot my man!

Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    I'm making 620 wheel jam powers with 590 wheel peanut butters. It's quite snappy. I did just kill my driveshaft after 35k abusive miles though.
    OooOOoOoo that would be plenty for me...shame about the driveshaft, its allways something though isnt it!

OK little update..

Making Chinese/Ebay garbage less "garbagey"

Weight Reduction, this thing was HEAVY

Viton O-ring Added

Added French Bearings and shaft seals Ooh La La

'

So I've got her pretty much dialed in as far as tune, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE...the only change was the intake manifold...well and the billet flange that reposition the injectors much closer to the port....but Holy crap, plenty of torque down low, no power loss and she screams above 4.5k. This is definitely the coolest thing I have ever made haha...

Next up, TURBO MANIFOLD!

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Looks awesome man!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by drstuess View Post
    Looks awesome man!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Hey thanks alot!

Alright guys, rome wasnt built in a day...heres a little update for ya's

Since I completed the Intake manifold, it was time to switch focus onto the hot side of things...

I am utilizing a V-band Inlet turbo so went with a low angle 6-1 style merge collector, made with hand tools, lmk if you guys want to see how?

Did a little warm-up run/ back purge test

Burn it down

Turned out very niceeee

On the other side of things...I drew up this manifold flange, it has every feature imaginable, 3-d oval to round transition, weight reduction, stand offs for welding, etc... I just couldnt bring my self to put some crappy flange on my baby. My brother machined it out of a single block of 304 stainless

Hopefuly that tickles your pickle a bit, waiting on a bunch of elbows and 45's then we'll keep jammin'

My Cars
    1993 325is
    That exhaust flange is probably worth more than my whole setup

This is some good stuff. Very nice work.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    That looks sweet. I’d love to make my own manifold some day.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmfwd View Post
    That exhaust flange is probably worth more than my whole setup

This is some good stuff. Very nice work.

Nah, it just looks like a million bucks =P

Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    That looks sweet. I’d love to make my own manifold some day.

Thanks man! I say go for it!

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    Wish I could weld like that! looking forward to see what your whole turbo manifold looks like.
    Intake plenum is a very good job too! interesting that you notice that much of a difference down low (now I want one too) =)

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by et89 View Post
    Wish I could weld like that! looking forward to see what your whole turbo manifold looks like.
    Intake plenum is a very good job too! interesting that you notice that much of a difference down low (now I want one too) =)

Just takes practice my dude! I was really worried about the low end, drive-ability because of the shorter runners, large plenum and HUGE Throttle body, but it seems my fears were unfounded.

Ok guys, here it is, the long awaited Top mount V-band Inlet Turbo manifold!!

IF that doesn't get your juicy juice flowing, you need to check your pulse!

I am beyond stoked on the out come, and cannot wait to see how it performs!

Its a strange feeling looking down into your engine bay, and seeing countless things that you made yourself. Now I just need to fill in the blanks, and get her dialed in. Stay tuned for the payoff!

My Cars
    '97 M3
    In for seeing WG positioning.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    In for seeing WG positioning.
    Haha, theres really only 2 options, conventional and unconventional, my MVR would fit in that little Crux between cylinder 5 and 4, but since there is no hole in the collector, I bet you can guess where it's going =P the real question is to recirc or not? You guys tell me!

My Cars
    turbo e36
    This one's for you Chikin

We are getting close! Side note, my birthday is in a couple days. Im going to be doing a mad dash to get her finished up, so I can do a Boosted Birthday Burnout...say that 3 time fast. Updates will be flowin

My Cars
    e30
    How well do the “racegates” off the turbine housing regulate boost? Overall seems like a good solution packaging wise. Can’t regulate boost worse than the 90deg connections off the collector most manifolds use!!

Surprised there is not more housings cast with the wastegate takeoff. Would be especially nice on twin scroll housings.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    First thought is turbulence within the housing.
    I'm guessing this assumption has been debunked?

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Others have done that with success over the years. They probably don’t sell them that way because of varying position angle depending on installation. That should give you the better boost control over taking it off the side of your collector.

Is the tube structure off the forward valve cover bolts going to be a turbo support?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    How well do the “racegates” off the turbine housing regulate boost? Overall seems like a good solution packaging wise. Can’t regulate boost worse than the 90deg connections off the collector most manifolds use!!

Surprised there is not more housings cast with the wastegate takeoff. Would be especially nice on twin scroll housings.
    I've personally never done one of these, but from what I gather from the very limited info out there, is that it should work just as well as a "properly" routed manifold gate, no real advantage, other than packaging, and there is some disadvantage. You have to cut up your exhaust housing, cant resell it, divided housing is even more challenging, you have to divide the part you cut other-wise you will lose TS advantage. There are a couple old T31 Style housings with a 35mm port cast in at 90*, I think thats a GNX thing.

Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    First thought is turbulence within the housing.
    I'm guessing this assumption has been debunked?
    It is going to be more turbulent, the flow path has been altered, but does this it really matter for my goals? Probably not '

Im going to start her at about 8psi, or whatever springs I have that are low, and Il post up a log so you guys can see if it works well enough or not. Low boost is generally harder to control with a big turbo, small Ex housing.

Others have done that with success over the years. They probably don’t sell them that way because of varying position angle depending on installation. That should give you the better boost control over taking it off the side of your collector.

Is the tube structure off the forward valve cover bolts going to be a turbo support?
    Haha good eye, yes, that is 1/4 304 round bar that im bending and welding up into a brace that goes to the exhaust housing with a heim. I want to take some of the weight off the manifold just as a precaution. I got inspired by old Group B and F1 setups.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Ok guys here we GO!

Manage to whip a 3" SS down pipe, mid pipe and exhaust for the beast...

Then I plumbed up the intercooler, and just COULDN'T resist taking her for a spin!

Here's a Log of first drive.

Log by Ryan Sebok, on Flickr

I thought I put a 14psi spring in it, but it was only a 7psi... Either way, the wastegate is ROCK SOLID. This was a 5th Gear WOT pull!

I am so excited, Im pretty sure I've built the best sounding E36 on the planet...if not, then definitely the best sounding M52 unquestionable. I cant wait to turn her up!!! I have to finalize a few small things, but its all bleed'in coming together. Track days coming up in about a month, I should have her set on KILL by then. Thank you guys for sticking it out with me and seeing this 2 YEAR long project to fruition. The best has yet to come...Enjoy the noise...

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Dude. That thing rips!
    2002 BMW Titanium Silver 540i/6-speed Sport - ZHP Shift Knob - M5 Clutch/TTV Racing 15.6lb Flywheel - M60 Intake Manifold - N62 84mm TB - Dinan Intake Tube - 4" MAF Tube - DUDMD Tune - Magnaflow Resonator - Eibach 18mm Rear Sway Bar - Powerflex Front Sway Bar Bushings - CDV Delete - UUC SS Brake Lines - Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts - Eibach Springs - Zionsville Radiator & FDM

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Nothing beats a "close to equal" length 6:1 manifold for sound. Except maybe the buzzsaw sound of an RB26 hitting 9K. Are you going to powder coat that intake manifold?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamthebull View Post
    Dude. That thing rips!
    Thanks alot man! She's definitely getting there, more boost more boost!

Quote Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
    Nothing beats a "close to equal" length 6:1 manifold for sound. Except maybe the buzzsaw sound of an RB26 hitting 9K. Are you going to powder coat that intake manifold?
    I am beyond happy with the sound she makes...Its like any army of trumpets assembling themselves into a pterodactyl, woooooaaaAAAAAHHH! I already did powder coat the Manifold Semi gloss clear, I like the fabricated look, so i wanted to rock that for a while, aluminum gets icky quick if left outside. I might switch it up down the line =)

So I got the spring thing figured out, I got this wastegate 2nd hand, and all the paint is pretty much worn off the springs, hard to tell whats what, but I did put a 7psi spring in it the first time, and got 7psi. I probably have some boost leaks, I kinda slapped her together just to try it out, but I had a HUGE exhaust leak at the head...I only put 1 or 4 nuts holding it on...So i got the nuts I ordered today, put those on, tightened everything up, and slapped a 14psi spring in it.... Big difference in spool up, the last log was 3k-4k wot and I would barely get 5 psi...this log is 2.8-3.8 and we were on track to hit 1bar at 4k. My goal was full boost by 4k, Im in the neighborhood. On my last setup I could get 20psi by like 3400...but I noticed, the car wasn't really fast untill 4k...I also keep letting out of it right before full boost because I haven't finished the Wg Dump, So when it opens up, I get a face full of exhaust in the cab, awesome. Ima keep at it!

For those who dont understand what your looking at:

Top is RPM TPS and MAP

Middle is MAP and DUTY Cycle

Bottom is AFR and IAT

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Well guys, I screwed up!

Cooked the headgasket just days into being boosted haha....totally my fault, I was rushing, and it has been so long since I was turbo...I had overboost turned OFF, I had a major boost leak, I got to an untuned part of the map, and POP. The last time she was boosted, we were running straight E85 which is very forgiving...91 octane is like a hair trigger, and the gasket paid the price...So had to tear the whole top end apart...LESSON LEARNED

Might have been a blessing in a disguise...Exhaust valve guides were leaking alot...this is only 10k miles...

So turn that frown upside-down, and lets make some gains while we're in here!

De-carbonizing that burnt oil, yuck

No going back now!

OoOoOoweeeee

All of the above...x6

I took painstaking effort not change the port shape or open it up too much... just did a basic gasket match, bowl blend, and got rid of the casting flash...Im still debating whether or not to do the intake side...Either way I'm pleased...and I probably wouldn't have addressed this without blowing the HG so yea, onward and upward!

My Cars
    are slow.
    Wow that's a lot of carbon build up, really was bound to be fixed anyway I guess...

Glad it was only the gasket that gave way and not something more expensive. Can't wait to see this back up and running.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast