Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ILSA and the Vertical M50/M52 Turbo

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    Small lesson, but valuable gains!
    Last edited by Iamthebull; 10-03-2019 at 01:25 AM.
    2002 BMW Titanium Silver 540i/6-speed Sport - ZHP Shift Knob - M5 Clutch/TTV Racing 15.6lb Flywheel - M60 Intake Manifold - N62 84mm TB - Dinan Intake Tube - 4" MAF Tube - DUDMD Tune - Magnaflow Resonator - Eibach 18mm Rear Sway Bar - Powerflex Front Sway Bar Bushings - CDV Delete - UUC SS Brake Lines - Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts - Eibach Springs - Zionsville Radiator & FDM

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamthebull View Post
    Small lesson, but valuable gains!
    Haha, I try to make it 1 step backwards, 2 steps forwards =D

Ok heres an up date for ya's

Got the head back from machine shop... the spec is:

Cutring Gasket
    New Guides
    New Seals
    Ferrea Competition Exhaust valves
    Oem Intake valves
    Decked
    M50tu Springs
    M54b30 Trays and lifters
    M54b30 Intake Cam
    M50b25NV Intake cam as exhaust

Big thanks to Someguy2800 for the cam and these nifty NV timing blocks, makes timing a breeze and he makes all sorts of custom timing blocks hit him up!

Cut rings are badass, should have done it the first time!

Also designed and made this billet thermo housing. I plan on doing a rear mount rad eventually

Torqued!

Should be up and running sometime later this week. Going to take it EASY, and get my tune in order before leaning on it too hard. Will let ya know how it goes
    Last edited by Substance D; 10-31-2019 at 01:10 AM.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    OK massive update!

Titanium Hardware for manifold

All reassembled!

Did a couple days of tuning, easing into it this time around. The fuel map is sorted, still playing with timing, but it looks like she's holding together! =D

15psi 3rd-4th Gear Pull 3.15diff
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4p3lhjnGhA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Also have been doing alot of testing of the Billet Thermo. I have a 88c thermostat, and only a pusher fan, and the car runs 190-197 sitting in traffic, I am very pleased.

She's pretty much ready for an event... Im going to setup flex-fuel, throw more boost and timing at her and go have some FUN!!

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    THis is pretty bad ass, glad to see this! Wish the motor came in at 20 degrees from factory, would save so much trouble. Where do those lines on the housing you made route to?
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    skateboard
    This looks so right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Any reason for that cam setup besides cost? I commited the sin of snapping an s52 intake cam so im runing s52 exhaust (same as NV intake) and m54b30 intake on an s52 bottom end.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Infammus 1 View Post
    THis is pretty bad ass, glad to see this! Wish the motor came in at 20 degrees from factory, would save so much trouble. Where do those lines on the housing you made route to?
    Haha thanks man! I wish they came like this too, but its been well worth the effort. Those lines go to the radiator, I plan on doing a rear mount radiator eventually, but wanted to test the housing with a standard mount, the outlets on the same side, because I converted a stock style to Dual-pass. Not really worth the effort, but I like testing stuff =)

Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    This looks so right
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks alot dude, I AGREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmeister View Post
    Any reason for that cam setup besides cost? I commited the sin of snapping an s52 intake cam so im runing s52 exhaust (same as NV intake) and m54b30 intake on an s52 bottom end.
    I did these cams because they are a fraction of the price of M3 cams, I was coming off stock M50tu 228*, and for my purposes they'll work just fine. Shift the band a little to the right to take advantage of higher rev limit, but still keep it wide =)

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Well some sweet, some sour, such is life...

Got her all back together after blowing the HG...Things were looking up. finished the billet thermostat housing AN conversion with this custom radiator.

Heres a 3rd-4th gear pull

Some Rainy day fun

But...I have been chasing smoke...I HATE oil smoke...I have oil smoke puffs on revs since I built my motor. I have tried open atmosphere CCV, running a Secondary Air pump as a Vaccum pump, Exhaust venturi CCV, and even hooking up the CCV to the intake manifold with check valves like a normal PCV....Nothing has helped, I have brand new valves seals and even guides...still, smoke on free rev. I have run as much as 10in/vc and that helped a little bit, but it was not possible to maintain that level of vaccum under boost without dry sump $$$.... I plan on tearing apart my bottom end, and drilling the Valve covers for 2 -10 ports and just trying to keep CC-pressure at 0.

I'll leave you with a video of me thrashing my brothers truck, 1973 C10 454 that we just got done Megasquirt-ing.

My Cars
    turbo e36

My Cars
    none

My Cars
    79 euro 635
    Why are you using a pcv valve? You do have the vent run to the turbo intake side right? That should suck even better at boost. I'm having a bit of smoke on my turbo as well, but in my case it's the oil drain hose leaking on the turbine housing.
    good luck!

My Cars
    turbo e36
    I was trying to fix This blow by with a PVC haha

Melted Head

Smoked Pistons

Cracked Block

DO OVER

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    Damage and do-over in one post! don't see that too often!

any idea on what caused the damage?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by et89 View Post
    Damage and do-over in one post! don't see that too often!

any idea on what caused the damage?
    Well, that motor was cursed from the beginning. I sent the block to be machined when the pistons arrived, without measuring them, and it turned out Wiseco sent me mis-machined pistons, wrong diameter, and wrong compression height. But the block had already been machined, so I got replacements, and the tolerance of errors was probably too high. The motor smoked from the initial fire up, you can actually see it in an old video. But I soldiered on, trying to tune it up nice, however, it was too much sauce for 91 octane and 9.4 compression ratio. The goal was to get it on e85, but I like breaking in on pump gas. Too much right foot, and too much timing per octane on a messed up motor = much detonation.

Fired up the new motor, NO SMOKE! =D

My Cars
    M3
    Holy mooolay lol. Nice job!!! Looking good. Pump gas can get imteresting for sure.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Hey man - great thread, dunno how I missed it.

One thing I noticed in your earlier screenshots from datalog is the boost creep - it doesn't seem to build and plateau but rather it continues to slowly climb, just like the rest of us have with "ordinary" wastegate placement/issues.

Were you able to remedy that?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    Holy mooolay lol. Nice job!!! Looking good. Pump gas can get imteresting for sure.
    Haha thanks a lot man! Yeah, I haven't had a lot of luck with pump 91, only low compression 8.0 and low boost, never liked meth injection because I do so much on throttle, off throttle drifting, I feel like it cant keep up and dead pump means dead motor, but I've killed enough on my own hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Hey man - great thread, dunno how I missed it.

One thing I noticed in your earlier screenshots from datalog is the boost creep - it doesn't seem to build and plateau but rather it continues to slowly climb, just like the rest of us have with "ordinary" wastegate placement/issues.

Were you able to remedy that?
    Hey thanks alot, its cool seeing the OG's in my thread =). The boost creep in that log caused by my forgetting to plump the IAC, so I had about a 1/2 inch hole in my intercooler piping. On this new motor, in the very limited testing I've done so far, she's spooling earlier, and holding 14psi solid to redline.

I've put 500 miles on the motor, running well, but the starter died. Gotta fix that, Gonna do oil changed, and switch over to E-juice and then really let her sing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123