Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ILSA and the Vertical M50/M52 Turbo

My Cars
    turbo e36

ILSA and the Vertical M50/M52 Turbo

Hey I'm Ryan. Long time BMW enthusiast, former RMS employee (a lifetime ago), welder, fabricator, powder-coater, and most importantly, DRIFTING Fucc-boi since 1999.

You can catch up on my build thread here

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...(3yrs-of-pics)

Long story short, I blew a few bottom ends last year, so decided to step it up. I also decided I wanted to go top mount, but top mount on e36 chassis generally sucks. So, I committed to going vertical with the motor position, well not 0* but 20* rather, Like a m20. Weighed the options heavily and going this route gets all the benefits of going 0* but less some of the cons. And most importantly works with my non-existent budget. On to the pics!

So I begin purchasing parts, to resurrect ILSA.

Found this bottom end at the junkyard...had a blown hg...but had been sitting too long and developed rust in a cylinder trashing the bore. So mandatory machine shop.

Settled on Weisco 85mm Pistons and Eagle rods... These parts are so nice its a shame to put them inside of a motor, but hey thats what they're for.

While the block was at the machine shop, did some fiddly stuff to stay busy, Reinforced trans bracket, and added turbo drain to timing cover.

Got a partial sponsorship from APEX Performance Turbocharger, based out of Oxnard Ca. Jim there is an awesome guy, and knows his stuff, I am probably the most demanding customer you will ever meet, he exceed all of my expectations, and custom built this APX362 Billet Turbo for my setup. I cannot wait to hear this thing scream. GO FOLLOW @APEX_BOOST and hit up Jim for all your turbo needs!

Heres the block back from the machine shop looking crispy.

Modded the block to accept S54 oil pump chain tensioner

Whew...I have bunch more photos and stuff, will upload soon. Follow me on insta for quicker updates! Shes gonna RIP!!!

My Cars
    M3
    Nice, I really like that turbo.

My Cars
    86 325es
    The motor in my car is at 20 degrees as well.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    Nice, I really like that turbo.
    Yea man, the turbo is sick. I have always used Garrett turbos, so I am very excited to try something new. I also took it a step further and ceramic coated all the internals prior to balance and assembly. Only possible with a baddass turbo guy like Jim at Apex Turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    The motor in my car is at 20 degrees as well.
    Looks so good. I really like 20* motors, at first I wanted to go completely vertical, mainly because I have never seen one in an E36...alls I'm gonna say about that is, that there are reasons why nobody has done it! I want your head please

My Cars
    86 325es
    I have seen some people in Scandinavia do it on drag cars, but yeah the oil system is not designed to be straight up and you would need to make a new intake manifold.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape

My Cars
    turbo e36
    So while we wait for those, started tackling the Vertical portion of this build...

Chopped up a perfectly good ZF. Had to make a jig to keep every thing concentric. Was tricky but got it

So attached modded trans to empty block to see where everythings wants to land and whipped up some motor mounts.

Everythings looking as intended, plenty of room for turbo fun. A big chunk of the custom stuff done, soon we get to make the fun stuff
    Last edited by Substance D; 09-01-2018 at 10:00 PM.

My Cars
    e30
    Nice work on the trans. If it can hold the torque of your clutch kicks it should be pretty good for street cars etc.

20* makes a lot more sense than 0* for engine position. More clearance, less oil drain issues!
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Nice work on the trans. If it can hold the torque of your clutch kicks it should be pretty good for street cars etc.

20* makes a lot more sense than 0* for engine position. More clearance, less oil drain issues!
    Thanks man! I don't foresee a problem with the trans, but if there is down the line, I made a jig to repeat the process and I'll use more exotic filler.

Update. Got the oil pan all chopped up and welded, it was hanging a bit low for my taste. Lost about .3q capacity but I plan on adding a massive oil cooler that will compensate.

Only a couple more mods before I can start doing fun turbo stuff!

Did I mention my brother is a total baddass and machinist? He sent me some teaser shots of billet intake mani flange we're working on! Follow him @vonbraunphoto

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Update!

After 3 months, I finally have a set of usable Weisco's. I grew up riding dirt bikes, never had issues with them in the past, But I cant honestly recommend them to anyone just because of the time they wasted.

I immediately assembled the short block, and began installing accessories.

Heres's the head back from machine shop. Bent valves replaced, guides knurled and reamed, 3 angle valve job, new stem seals and resurfaced!

My brother made me this sweet coolant block-off plate to go with my heater core/ spider hose delete

I was never really happy with my expansion tank setup, so made a new one!

Finished my firewall block off plate

And lastly made a new dash block off plate to jazz up the interior

Well, we finished the intake manifold flange and it looks awesome, very stoked on this piece, many, many hours went into this small seemingly simple part. Here is the beautiful outcome:

Time to finish the motor, drop it in, and build some manifolds!

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Nice!

My Cars
    e30
    Looks really good and glad to see you are back at it!!
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Thanks guys! I'm gonna try to wrap this girl up, I miss driving it.

My Cars
    M3
    So how much for the CAM program for that intake manifold?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    So how much for the CAM program for that intake manifold?

Pm'd

My Cars
    turbo e36
    The time has come!

Motor Assembled!

Motor and trans installed for the last time

I decided to break in the motor in NA, less variables, and gives me time to make manifolds instead of rushing through it.

WELL GUYS SHE LIVES!!!! Fired right up, made oil pressure instanly, holding 185 coolant temp, small leak from thermostat housing, but aside that, MISSION SUCCESS!!!

I am the proud OWNER/BUILDER of the FIRST/ONLY 20 Degree E36 in the US!!

Its been almost a year, extremely stressful, taxing project, but oh my god did it feel good to drive this thing again...If you made it this far, your awesome, thank you for checking my sh^t out, and thank you for the support. We're just getting started, stay tuned

My Cars
    bmw
    Last edited by zoziano; 10-12-2018 at 07:21 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Awesome
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E36
    Very impressive. Look forward to boost noises in near future.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    How much more room is there on the passenger side of the motor for a bottom mount turbo as a result of standing the motor up?

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Sick build, excited to see it boosted.

When you rotated the trans, was that mainly for lubrication purposes?

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmfwd View Post
    Sick build, excited to see it boosted.

When you rotated the trans, was that mainly for lubrication purposes?
    Thanks, me too. Its nice having her up and running, but I sure do miss being boosted! I rotated the trans for lubrication, also if you don't, you will have to make new trans mount, shifter solution, and probably lose the easy method for filling it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    How much more room is there on the passenger side of the motor for a bottom mount turbo as a result of standing the motor up?
    It doesn't look like a whole lot in the pictures, but its pretty much night and day. The 2nd pic in post #6 illustrates it pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    Very impressive. Look forward to boost noises in near future.
    Thanks! Hopefully soon we'll be spoolin'

Quote Originally Posted by zoziano View Post
    amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Awesome
    Thanks guys!

So I have done about 1500 miles with out a hickup...I got hit with some "Life Stuff" that's slowin down progress, but I didn't come this far to come up short. I need to order some material to finish intake manifold, then I am going to start on the turbo manifold, I think you guys will be pretty stoked when you see what I got cookin!

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance D View Post
    It doesn't look like a whole lot in the pictures, but its pretty much night and day. The 2nd pic in post #6 illustrates it pretty well.
    Ya. That definitely looks roomy!! Mine's not a BMW but a 4 cyl Honda motor, and it tilts at 13 (it might be 18) degrees. I'm going to bottom mount an EFR7163 and I was worried about room. That pic certainly puts my mind at ease.

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Been working on Ilsa lately...lots of progress on the intake manifold

The only reason I am making an Intake manifold is because, the stock one simply wont fit with the rotated motor. Ok here's the concept i came up with and where I started. Simple, cost effective, thick wall material, should be sweet!

Haven't welded in a few weeks...knocked the dust off

Tubies attached to flange

Tubies, backing plate, and stacks

Flow!

Almost complete

Final Prep

I am really digging how this is turning out!

Waiting on some rod, and some final components, then it'll be time to burn it all together. This has been a very fun project!

My Cars
    M3
    Whew, this thing is sexy. Keep us teased!

My Cars
    86 325es
    Sure would have saved a lot of trouble if they had just put the motor there in the first place huh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast